• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here comes the NPD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvxfreak

jett said:
OMG...that's just sad. There's no hope for humanity. Why do I think that if Nintendo released "Mario Bros" as a standalone game it would still get high sales EVEN when it comes for free in every other GBA Mario game?

$20 is an acceptable price for these good games. Just because you don't find it valuable doesn't mean 200,000 others do not. And clearly the public has spoken, both in the US and Japan.

jarrod

Banned
explodet said:
Grand total: 147,910
Not bad... should wind up being NST's best seller this gen.

Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros are two of the few NES games still fully worth $20 each. I only paid $35 though. :)

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Not bad... should wind up being NST's best seller this gen.

Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros are two of the few NES games still fully worth $20 each. I only paid $35 though. :)

Heh, I paid a grand total of $26 between the 2. THANK YOU FRY'S/WARIO64.

nubbe

Nintendo games are timeless masterpieces. The people that work with games at Nintendo are fucking geniuses.

jedimike

nubbe said:
Nintendo games are timeless masterpieces. The people that work with games at Nintendo are fucking geniuses.

...and the fans that are still paying premium prices for 20 year old games are fucking idiots.

nubbe

It doesn’t matter if they are 100 years old, they will still be the best games humanity has to offer.
You are paying for premium entertainment which are more entertaining then 99% of the current generation games.

Meier

jarrod said:
Does anyone have May's Mario Vs Donkey Kong sales by any chance?

For the other numbers as well, you can see my thread from last month here . I will of course update the totals tomorrow when the #'s are available.

jarrod

Banned
I guess Nintendo's success just rubs some people the wrong way. Nice to see Four Swords Adventures also outsold Riddick...

While I personally wouldn't pay $20 for them, if you really want to take a stance against games supposedly not offering enough value for the price, there certainly are much better examples out there, but then that's assuming you actually care about that, instead of just having a grudge against Nintendo.

Sho Nuff

Banned
explodet said:
Every time someone brings up the NES Classics, people have the same damn argument.

But it's a valid one, especially when you consider how awesome Activision's 2600 collection on GBA is.

Odysseus

Banned
268 replies about nothing. They could turn this into a Seinfeld episode. Well, if it was still being made.

I'm still master of my domain, by the way.

Hero

I'd rather pay 20 dollars for Super Mario Bros which is:

A.) Portable
B.) Small
C.) On a system which won't freeze at the slightest bump
D.) A cartridge which I will never have to blow on.

Than pay 50 dollars for supposedly 'good' next-gen games such as Driv3r.

cvxfreak

Hero said:
I'd rather pay 20 dollars for Super Mario Bros which is:

A.) Portable
B.) Small
C.) On a system which won't freeze at the slightest bump
D.) A cartridge which I will never have to blow on.

Than pay 50 dollars for supposedly 'good' next-gen games such as Driv3r.

Amen.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Indeed they do, (regarding GBA Classics' sales) it's quite obvious that Nintendo has excellent business acumen. Their games performing well & making them profit seems to irritate & outrage some people. Guess what? Don't purchase them. Where the potential for profits are, Nintendo tries to be. And Sony & MS don't rehash & milk? Please, here's your wine & cheese. Not everyone was gaming 20 years ago.

thorns

Banned
jarrod said:
I guess Nintendo's success just rubs some people the wrong way. Nice to see Four Swords Adventures also outsold Riddick...

So only 150k for Nintendo's one of the biggest franchise this gen.. By the way I hope you're not supporting the "low sales" of riddick since it was an excellent game, if it was a crappy game, I wouldn't mind the bashing but that game deserves to sell, plain and simple.

Hero

thorns said:
So only 150k for Nintendo's one of the biggest franchise this gen.. By the way I hope you're not supporting the "low sales" of riddick since it was an excellent game, if it was a crappy game, I wouldn't mind the bashing but that game deserves to sell, plain and simple.

I think he was referring to the fact that Riddick was getting a lot of media hype and had a movie franchise to leech off of in comparison to the relatively quiet released of Four Swords Adventure

The marketing is there (in print), but it wasn't until after the game had been released that the ads came...like a week after release. And does a Zelda game really need all that much pimpage to sell, anyway?

ge-man

The NES classics thing is getting old. If you could sale that many copies at that price, why would you be compelled to do an Activision style compilation? That's the bottom line.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
jedimike said:
...and the fans that are still paying premium prices for 20 year old games are fucking idiots.

People buy StarWars VHS
People buy StarWars:SE VHS
People buy StarWars DVD

JediMike : "OMG ROOFLE I already saw those like 5 times on TV. Who is gonna buy those old movie ?"

cja

Format -- March April May

PS2 -- 294,437 188,669 253,454
Xbox -- 198,445 297,351 216,997
GC -- 163,028 96,050 77,827
GBA -- 496,614 292,570

Didn't see GBA May figures.

cja

Thanks, top 10 skus ($ value) for June.

PS2 Spider-Man: The Movie 2 Activision Jun’04
Xbox Full Spectrum Warrior THQ Inc. Jun’04
GameCube Zelda: Four Swords Nintendo Jun’04
PS2 Driv3r Atari Jun’04
Xbox Spider-Man: The Movie 2 Activision Jun’04
Xbox Chronicles of Riddick Vivendi Jun’04
PS2 Shrek 2 Activision May’04
Xbox Driv3r Atari Jun’04
PS2 MVP Baseball 2004 Electronic Arts Mar’04
PS2 Harry Potter: Azkaban Electronic Arts Jun’04

MaddenNFL64

MrPing1000 said:
anti chance of a post with all the data instead of wading through this crap?

99.9% chance bunkum will make his own thread instead of making people wade though 6 pages of worthless crap.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Wow. Just look at those GBA sales compared the the Cube sales. Nintendo really blew it with the Cube. It's clear that they can appeal to a large number of people (GBA sales) but those same people just aren't at all interested in the Cube. I mean how exactly did that happen? Many of the kids buying the GBA see it as cool but then they write the Cube off as kiddy. How is the GBA any more mature? Why is there such a disconnect? Why is it okay to play 'kiddy' games when you are on the road but when you are home you have to play Driv3r, Halo, and GTA? Is the GBA acceptable because for portable gaming there isn't a more mature alternative? If that's the case then the PSP is going to absolutely destroy the GBA.

Maybe its time Nintendo started offering the GC at a reduced price to those who purchase a GBA. Perhaps bundle a GBA:SP and GC together for $150 this holiday season. They are making a ton of profit on the GBA (last I read it was something ridiculous like $60-70 per unit sold) and it could offset the loses incurred by bundling the Gamecubes (they lose $20 now, plus another $50 if they were to bundle them at $150) while still turning a small profit. Plus it would freaking get Gamecubes into people's homes.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I think it's safe to say that the Gamecube's time is done... look to the Revolution, my friend.

Hopefully the Revolution could raise Nintendo back to respectable levels in the home market :|

BeOnEdge

Banned
hopefully they'll just stick to portables and go 3rd party for full consoles already. either that or collaborate with sega, namco and capcom for a "japan box". no 3rd party games. just games from those 4 companies on 1 console. YUM.

Deg

Banned
lol

4 swords did really well! I thought it wouldnt so that well. More multiplayer Zelda in the future perhaps?

Driv3r isnt repeating its UK success in the US.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
BeOnEdge said:
hopefully they'll just stick to portables and go 3rd party for full consoles already. either that or collaborate with sega, namco and capcom for a "japan box". no 3rd party games. just games from those 4 companies on 1 console. YUM.

Yeah, because going 3rd party worked wonders for Sega....oh wait.

cvxfreak

JC10001 said:
Wow. Just look at those GBA sales compared the the Cube sales. Nintendo really blew it with the Cube. It's clear that they can appeal to a large number of people (GBA sales) but those same people just aren't at all interested in the Cube. I mean how exactly did that happen? Many of the kids buying the GBA see it as cool but then they write the Cube off as kiddy. How is the GBA any more mature? Why is there such a disconnect? Why is it okay to play 'kiddy' games when you are on the road but when you are home you have to play Driv3r, Halo, and GTA? Is the GBA acceptable because for portable gaming there isn't a more mature alternative? If that's the case then the PSP is going to absolutely destroy the GBA.

Maybe its time Nintendo started offering the GC at a reduced price to those who purchase a GBA. Perhaps bundle a GBA:SP and GC together for $150 this holiday season. They are making a ton of profit on the GBA (last I read it was something ridiculous like $60-70 per unit sold) and it could offset the loses incurred by bundling the Gamecubes (they lose $20 now, plus another $50 if they were to bundle them at $150) while still turning a small profit. Plus it would freaking get Gamecubes into people's homes.

What he said.

JC10001 said:
How is the GBA any more mature?
It's not, but the simple fact is, GBA is the only game in town on the portable end...

Milhouse31 said:
People buy StarWars VHS
People buy StarWars:SE VHS
People buy StarWars DVD

Yeah, but each successive example past the initial release on video offers something significant for fans...improvements.

jedimike

jarrod said:
Are you calling me a "fucking idiot" mike?

if the shoe fits... nah j/k, we butt heads a lot on gaf but I wouldn't be so mean to anyone. The harsh response was really just to coincide with the statement I quoted.

Although there are a ton of legal ways to play those same games for much cheaper... e-reader, animal crossing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom