• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi res final Mario 64 DS boxart

CrisKre

I think it rocks :)

ntr_supermarioDS_pkg_01.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
God damn it, I really don't want to buy any hardware this year. This boxart touches my special spot :(

Catalyst

Banned
What's an "NTR"?

Heh. I think the SM64DS boxart captures the old N64 magic set by the old SM64 boxart. Then it has the Dreamcast jewel case-like feeling...and...and...it'll be magical to people everywhere! Million seller!

I like Mario stuff and want this game as much as anyone, but this art is total ass. Particularly the logo.

You wanna see "magic," lookie here:

mario.jpg

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
bobbyconover said:
I like Mario stuff and want this game as much as anyone, but this art is total ass. Particularly the logo.

mario.jpg
Are you being serious? I can't tell.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
bobbyconover said:

mario.jpg
IAWTP

The logo looks like WordArt from Office 97.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
There's absolutely nothing special about that boxart. Feels cheap, rushed and boring. And let's not get started on the logo...and to think that a separate thread was made for this boxart. Why...WHY this boxart of all the boxarts available in this world? Had it been about the actual game with the boxart posted along with it, I would've understood...but a whole thread devoted to this..."boxart"!? Man... :(

Chittagong

Gold Member
The lens flare and radial blur lead me to believe that NOE's designers have secretly got to participate!

It's funny this is real, when I first posted it I got tons of "yep that's fake", "the DS logo looks like cut and pasted", "64 looks disproportional" etc. responses. Too lazy to find them anymore.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Chittagong said:
The lens flare and radial blur lead me to believe that NOE's designers have secretly got to participate!

It's funny this is real, when I first posted it I got tons of "yep that's fake", "the DS logo looks like cut and pasted", "64 looks disproportional" etc. responses. Too lazy to find them anymore.

Yeah, I was one of the people making such comments...and I still stand by them to 100 %. It looks fake...and even if it's not, it still looks fake. :|

Chittagong

Gold Member
The only way to cure this thread is to bring in some excellent Mario boxart. One of the best, most memorable boxarts ever:

nes-pal_super_mario_bros_3.jpg

An extremelly impactful design concept. Seeing a hundred of those yellow boxes being stacked on shelves for release day was pure magic. Nintendo magic.

Mrbob

Chittagong said:
The only way to cure this thread is to bring in some excellent Mario boxart. One of the best, most memorable boxarts ever:

nes-pal_super_mario_bros_3.jpg

An extremelly impactful design concept. Seeing a hundred of those yellow boxes being stacked on shelves for release day was pure magic. Nintendo magic.

Heh. I remember when these carts were hard to find. I found the last copy at a local Prangie Way store. I was young, like 11 or so. I had my allowances all saved up for this game but I couldn't find it anywhere (LONG TIME it took me to save up that money too). I remember the clerk lady at the counter taking forever to get over towards me. I don't think she thought I was going to buy it as I remember her giving me a quizzicle look when I asked to buy it. I don't think she thought I had the money. Anyway, I pay for it, stash it in my bag so no one else can take it (IT WAS MINE, ALL MINE NO ONE WAS STEALING IT FROM ME!) and as I walked away some lady walked to the counter and asked if they had the game in stock. :O

Ristamar

That old boxart definitely is unmistakable and unforgetable. I can't recall as much buzz for a non-launch game as there was for Mario 3.

Rhage

bobbyconover said:

mario.jpg
Yes!

The Mario 64 DS box art looks like shit. Very amatuer look and feel to it. Aside from the Nintendo DS piece on the left. Other than that, I would have believed this was a fan box art.

snapty00

Banned
I don't have a problem with 3D computer-generated graphics. The original Super Mario 64 box didn't look so bad. This does look awful, however.

Ristamar said:
That old boxart definitely is unmistakable and unforgetable. I can't recall as much buzz for a non-launch game as there was for Mario 3.

Yeah. I mean, Halo 2 certainly has some buzz going, but with SMB3 it was pandemonium. The sales numbers speak for themselves, but I also remember the Popsicle points promotion running out of games to give away...

It's obvious they put it in 3D GC models to show off that the game is 3D, like the orignal Mario 64 boxart. I'm a bit suprised they called it Super Mario 64 DS

snapty00

Banned
Link316 said:
I hate CG boxart, and quite honestly this looks like the box to some Mario Party game
I don't hate it because it's computer graphics, but I agree 110% that this looks like some cheap, shitty Mario Party boxart. I swear, it really looks exactly like that.

Top Bottom