• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History Channel: Decisive Battles

tenchir

I am currently watching Decisive Battles on the History Channel. I noticed at the beginning of the show they mention the whole battle engine is based on a videogame. Does anyone who watches Decisive Battles know what videogame it is?

tenchir

Does it really look like that? Can Total War really handle thousands of units in game? Or is it a specialize engine just for History Channel to use?

it can really handle that, I'm sure it'd take a nice system to run it smoothly though. Its one of my top picks for 2005

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
HA! I was just about to make a thread for this after watching a few minutes of it. (Did you see that Command Decision: Stalingrad show before it? Pretty awesome...)

Anyway, yah this is Rome: Total War. Looks to be one helluva game. I know little to nothing about it though. Does the game have resources to harvest and structures/units to make or what?

I agree, this show is quite cool. I've seen it once, and I would watch it again if I saw it on.

However, one thing strikes me as odd. The Rome: Total War engine doesn't really look that impressive in my opinion. Yeah, there are a ton of units (obviously the coolest part of the engine), but beyond that.. nothing strikes me as very impressive. The character models are iffy (certainly because of the huge number of troops, but I'm just saying.. I know they can't look Soul Calibur quality or anything), and the animation was pretty laughable at parts. When shown from far away, the game looked very cool, I'll give it that. But once zoomed in at least a partial bit, it looked.. eh.

But now that I think about it, no full 3D strategy game has really impressed me graphically. I mean.. this one looks pretty decent. C&C Generals looked pretty good, I guess. Same with WarCraft 3.

Regardless of that, from what I've read/heard, it does seem to be quite a fun game though. :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The Total War series is awesome because of it's gameplay. Having thousands of units on screen, while very awesome, is just part of excitement for this title.

^^^
Although I did pick apart the graphics a bit, I would like to say again that I think the game does seem to be pretty cool from a gameplay standpoint. And yeah, the many many MANY units is very impressive.

I've never played any of the Total War games yet, however..

tenchir

Badabing said:
HA! I was just about to make a thread for this after watching a few minutes of it. (Did you see that Command Decision: Stalingrad show before it? Pretty awesome...)

Anyway, yah this is Rome: Total War. Looks to be one helluva game. I know little to nothing about it though. Does the game have resources to harvest and structures/units to make or what?

Yeah, I saw Command Decision: Stalingrad, was pretty cool. What I really want to watched was Snipers, I can't believe I missed two episodes of Snipers. I was only able to catch the last two episodes, I missed the first two, I wonder when are they repeating it.

xabre

Banned

The campaign has two aspects, these being the turn based map and the real time battles. The map itself is divided up into provences, which all have their own reosurces, unit type etc and are controlled by various factions in the game. The map itself is divided up into provences which have various resources and unit types and are controlled by competing factions. All your strategic decisions are made on the map, such as the units you which to train, the buildings and improvements you wish to make and other options such as moving units around (i.e. invading enemy provinces) diplomacy, espionage etc. In the event an enemy army attacks your units or cities (or vice versa) the game switches to the battle engine which allows you to fight out the battle in real time. Terrian and buildings on the campain map are reflected on the battle map and destroying building in battle will also be reflected on the campaign map.

This will tell you all about the game.

Top Bottom