• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hmmm...average age of a comic book reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
I got this idea from the San Diego Comic Con thread.

Really, comics aren't altogether geared towards kids anymore. A lot of the content on the shelves is for mature readers, although there are still books available like Mary Jane which little Johnny can pick up. (Mary Jane pimping done for this thread) So, who reads comics? Whenever I'm at the shop I usually see guys around my age (23) or older browsing the books while the kids are all playing Yu-Gi-Yo, Magic, or Pokemon tournaments. So what's the average age of a comic reader? How old are the people on this board who read them?...(Humour me...leaving for night shift in 20 minutes)

MASB

Almost everyone I see that read/buy comics are between 18-40. Sometimes I wonder if comics will 'die off' in a sense after this generation, as I almost never see kids reading comics. And usually, comics aren't something you magically discover and like when you're an adult. And like some have said, there's not necessarily a lot of comics out there that are appropriate or interesting for/to kids (by interesting, I mean variety. If you don't like superheroes or manga, you're out of luck for the most part).

XS+

Banned
I was an avid reader of comics, manga and graphic novels when I was 8-14, now in my 20s I don't touch the stuff. Am I The Anomaly?

Alucard

Banned
XS+ said:
I was an avid reader of comics, manga and graphic novels when I was 8-14, now in my 20s I don't touch the stuff. Am I The Anomaly?

Well...comics were pretty shitty in the mid and late nineties. Now is a great time to be a reader though.

XS+

Banned
Alucard said:
Well...comics were pretty shitty in the mid and late nineties. Now is a great time to be a reader though.
I read comics in the mid 80s to early 90s. That's right I'm ooooooooollld.

FnordChan

News Flash: manga are comics. Thanks to the manga boom, I'd say the median age has dropped down to, say, 13 from, say, 25.

FnordChan

I actually never read comics as a kid, outside of a couple stray issues of X-Men (after watching the cartoon on Fox). I started reading them for real when I was in college... that fateful trip to the bookstore when I grabbed Year One and Dark Knight Returns on an impulse. Haven't stopped reading comix since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom