• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home audio GAF help me purchase a new 5.1 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I just recently moved into a new place and I am in need of a new audio system. I used to have a 5.1 RCA system that was wired, but due to my setup and it being an apartment I would rather not have to try and deal with wires, at least for the two back speakers.

I would prefer to not have standing front left and right speakers, but I am open to it, and the only speakers I need to be wireless are the back left and right, although I would be cool with the front ones as well. I dont need a bluray reciever or dvd player, just a standard receiver, and the subwoofer doesnt need massive amounts of power since I do live in a complex. My goal is to spend around 3-400 I had a good system last time for only 250$ but Im shooting for wireless now. Also no soundbars, thank you. If there is anything that is in particular good for gaming, I am all ears.

For the simple facts.

Need new 5.1 system
-must have wireless back left and right speakers
-reciever please, not a dvd or blu ray run system
-front speakers can be wired, prefer to not have standing speakers, wall mounted are best for all
-subwoofer doesnt need tons of power
-price range 3-400

MedIC86

HenryGale said:
-

Im not a real audio expert but i dont believe there are any "decent" wireless 5.1 sets. (i believe a logitech or creative set exist but they suck)

anyway i recently bought a jamo 5.1 a102 set. There not insanly high-end but i really like em, and they look beautifull

HenryGale said:
Alright so I just recently moved into a new place and I am in need of a new audio system. I used to have a 5.1 RCA system that was wired, but due to my setup and it being an apartment I would rather not have to try and deal with wires, at least for the two back speakers.

I would prefer to not have standing front left and right speakers, but I am open to it, and the only speakers I need to be wireless are the back left and right, although I would be cool with the front ones as well. I dont need a bluray reciever or dvd player, just a standard receiver, and the subwoofer doesnt need massive amounts of power since I do live in a complex. My goal is to spend around 3-400 I had a good system last time for only 250$ but Im shooting for wireless now. Also no soundbars, thank you. If there is anything that is in particular good for gaming, I am all ears.

For the simple facts.

Need new 5.1 system
-reciever please, not a dvd or blu ray run system
-front speakers can be wired, prefer to not have standing speakers, wall mounted are best for all
-subwoofer doesnt need tons of power
-price range 3-400

I don't think you can for that price because essentially you're going to be buying a 5.1 receiver and buying a wireless speaker set. It'll be two seperate components plus each speaker will have to be plugged in or something so you'll need outlets near them. On top of that, it will have issues if you want to be cheap and even if you spend money it won't be as good as wired.

Just bite the bullet and go wired I say.

Manager

You're asking too much out of a $400 system, at least to my European experience.

Samsung has a wireless system but it's €650 here (HT-D6750). I know people rather have the more un-mainstream brands, but at least here it's hard to find them offering wireless solutions for $400.

Sony has a system in my country called BDV-E780W. I know it's exclusive so you got to find the code for it in the US (it being 700 series is the most important I guess). It's wireless, sound good and at €500.

edit
Wait, no built in Bluray, missed that part. Then I have no idea how you're going to find a wireless solution for that kind of money.

MedIC86 said:
Im not a real audi expert but i dont believe there are any "decent" wireless 5.1 sets. (i believe a logitech or creative set exist but they suck)

anyway i recently bought a jamo 5.1 a102 set. There not insanly high-end but i really like em, and they look beautifull
Well that kind of blows. How the hells do people wire the places then? What a pain in the ass.

HenryGale said:
Well that kind of blows. How the hells do people wire the places then? What a pain in the ass.

What does your room setup look like? I essentially run them along the base of the wall and the wires are white so they hide pretty well.

Manager said:
You're asking too much out of a $400 system, at least to my European experience.

Samsung has a wireless system but it's €650 here. I know people rather have the more un-mainstream brands, but at least here it's hard to find them offering wireless solutions for $400.

Sony has a system in my country called BDV-E780W. I know it's exclusive so you got to find the code for it in the US (it being 700 series is the most important I guess). It's wireless, sound good and at €500.

edit
Wait, no built in Bluray, missed that part. Then I have no idea how you're going to find a wireless solution for that kind of money.
Damnit. Looks like I will have to spend more. Which is okay, but I was hoping I wouldnt have too since my last reciver speaker combo was cheap and sounded great to me. I just need something that gives more of the cinema effect which is why Ilike 5.1 i just have no idea how I can ever possibly imagine running the wires for the back speakers. Cant rip up the carpet, and dont want wires running up the middle of the wall, no corners nead by to try and hide them either. This is gunna be balls.

HenryGale said:
Damnit. Looks like I will have to spend more. Which is okay, but I was hoping I wouldnt have too since my last reciver speaker combo was cheap and sounded great to me. I just need something that gives more of the cinema effect which is why Ilike 5.1 i just have no idea how I can ever possibly imagine running the wires for the back speakers. Cant rip up the carpet, and dont want wires running up the middle of the wall, no corners nead by to try and hide them either. This is gunna be balls.

Here you can see how it runs along the walls and is usually hidden behind things.

5.JPG

Here's a wider angle shot of my old setup before I upgraded the TV and you can see it just is hidden.

4.JPG

MedIC86

HenryGale said:

Well i use these things

ATT%20Kabelgoot.jpg

I have white walls tho, but it does not look ugly or disturbing. just run them to the ground and put those things also on the floor all the way to the sub or whatever.

Also you could check out a seperate receiver (a pioneer one will set you back like 3/400) and the set i said is like 2/300...again im no expert, but i really like it, i mean it has 500w, and starwars for example sounds really insane.

HenryGale said:
i just have no idea how I can ever possibly imagine running the wires for the back speakers. Cant rip up the carpet, and dont want wires running up the middle of the wall, no corners nead by to try and hide them either. This is gunna be balls.

Run along the baseboards.
Or you can run flat speaker wires under carpet and use a fishing tool that you can get at any hardware store.

SUPREME1

Banned
Start with a Pioneer receiver, preferably from their Elite line, and build up the speaker arrangement from there. You mentioned having budgeted $400, but you might want to keep an open mind to expanding little by little over time when finances allow for it. Amazon seems to have chosen Polk as their preferred speaker manufacturer, which means there will be plenty of sales going any given line of speakers as time goes on. Just make sure you don't go with lower tier polks, but some of their nicer stuff. They should be more than enough for you needs (apt complex) but will still sound amazing if the source is a nice receiver.

I'd suggest going the route I went when it comes to speakers:

Left + Right

Left + Right + Center

Left + Right + Center + Sub

Left + Right + Center + Sub + S. Left + S. Right

Left + Right + Center + Sub + S. Left + S. Right + Rear Right + Rear Left

Don't overlook getting a 7.1 receiver as it'll leave open the possibility of upgrading to it should you ever change your mind.

Marty Chinn said:
What does your room setup look like? I essentially run them along the base of the wall and the wires are white so they hide pretty well.
sWSrx.jpg

That will be tough, I have a cabinent and two doors on the walls leading to the left, and the first of which is just a opening, that goes to the ceiling no door trim, the other side has a sliding glass door and then a fireplace.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
And if you're gonna spend that kind of money you should buy a Denon anyway.

;)

edit: A quick glance at Pioneer's site says they now offer "Elite" receivers for as little as $450. Guess Elite doesn't mean what it use to.

RoboPlato said:
Pioneer Elite receivers are upwards of $2000. He's trying to get a whole system for $400.

That's not true at all. You can get a Pioneer Elite as low as $500 or $600 and they peak at about $1600.

HenryGale said:
sWSrx.jpg

That will be tough, I have a cabinent and two doors on the walls leading to the left, and the first of which is just a opening, that goes to the ceiling no door trim, the other side has a sliding glass door and then a fireplace.

Do you use the fireplace at all? That should be easy to run wires around the baseboard. Look at my pics cuz I essentially do the same.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SUPREME1 said:
Yeah, no.

Entry level Elites can be had for as little as $500.
Huh, I could have sworn that the reviews I saw for them all put them at $2300. Nevermind. I'm not too up on sound tech.

On a small different note about Pioneer Elites, I know it's just a superficial thing about how it looks, but does anyone else like how the Pioneer Elites actually look high end physically compared to Onkyo, Denon, etc?

Raistlin

$300-$400 for a receiver, subwoofer, mains, a center, and wireless surrounds?

lol

SUPREME1 said:
Yeah, no.

And they don't quite mean what they used to.

Unfortunately most badges see such degradation over time. Look at THX certification.

Marty Chinn said:
On a small different note about Pioneer Elites, I know it's just a superficial thing about how it looks, but does anyone else like how the Pioneer Elites actually look high end physically compared to Onkyo, Denon, etc?
Being a gadget guy and home theater enthusiast ... definitely. Same goes for Marantz. Brushed aluminum FTW

SUPREME1 said:
Yeah, no.

SUPREME1 said:
Start with a Pioneer receiver, preferably from their Elite line, and build up the speaker arrangement from there. You mentioned having budgeted $400, but you might want to keep an open mind to expanding little by little.

Left + Right

Left + Right + Middle

Left + Right + Middle + Sub

Left + Right + Middle + Sub + S. Left + S. Right

Left + Right + Middle + Sub + S. Left + S. Right + Rear Right + Rear Left

Gouty said:
And if you're gonna spend that kind of money you should buy a Denon anyway.

;)

edit: A quick glance at Pioneer's site says they now offer "Elite" receivers for as little as $450. Guess Elite doesn't mean what it use to.

Okay this sounds like the route to go, assuming I can get a wireless back two for the elite? Guess I will have to look into it.

Not sure why 400$ sounds outlandish though since my old 5.1 sounded great and that was 250$ but wired.

Those rail systems for running wires won't work we have yellow walls and a blue accent wall. Also the fireplace isn't flush so the bottom wire can't go around it. I'd love to take some photos when I get home maybe you can all eli me figure out how Im going to run the cables ect since Im new at this and could use a hand. I'm also going to look into one of this carpet snakes in case I can't get wireless back speakers.

If I can get wireless I have two outlets right near where the speakers will go, 5.1 is crucial for me not just for movies but for gaming. It makes a big difference and Im not in a huge rush I just though 400$ would have been viable based on my old speaker setup. I can up my budget just means I won't order them this week.

GQman2121

Banned
Your Walmart budget is not going to get you close to what you're looking for. Wireless rear speakers are also a bad idea.

My suggestion is to get some fund together and buy an area rug to hide the wires for the rear channels. I have an 8x10 shag rug that is over top my carpet and it hides the three wires for my 6.1 setup.

GQman2121 said:
Your Walmart budget is not going to get you close to what you're looking for. Wireless rear speakers are also a bad idea.

My suggestion is to get some fund together and buy an area rug to hide the wires for the rear channels. I have an 8x10 shag rug that is over top my carpet and it hides the three wires for my 6.1 setup.

Whats a 6.1? Never seen one. Two front, two side, two back?

Also my old system was from best buy. I obviously had no idea what something like this would cost lol. Not much of an audio guy I just know what I want the system to be able to do. Didn't know until now that wireless speakers sound like crap, Im used to streaming HD video no issue I figured wireless audio shouldn't be a problem anymore either.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Speakers are something you can keep forever. Speaker technology really hasn't changed in the past years. Buy a pair of speakers that will last you awhile. The receiver is important, but is the least important thing to invest your money in.

SUPREME1

Banned
Raistlin said:
And they don't quite mean what they used to.

Not sure what you mean.

If you do your due diligence, you can find audio/video retailers who need to unload product from last year to make room for the new stuff. There are deals to be had.

Higher end receivers hold up extremely well and usually have new features first. So even if you are buying last year's Elite receiver, you're probably still ahead of the pack feature-wise. They also use better materials and will last longer than budget receivers.

For instance, this is the deal I got when purchasing my Elite receiver:

Pioneer Elite VSX 91-TXH

MSRP at launch: $1,200

What I paid 1 year later: $600

463566618VSX-91TXH_FRONT_med.jpg

Here is a link to teh reciver itself if you'd like to look at the specs. This was a few years back now and it still more than holds it's own.

SUPREME1

Banned
Trojita said:
Speakers are something you can keep forever. Speaker technology really hasn't changed in the past years. Buy a pair of speakers that will last you awhile. The receiver is important, but is the least important thing to invest your money in.

I gotta disagree.

When I was more or less finished with my receiver and speaker set up, my father-in-law was impressed enough with it that he asked me to do the same for him.

Except he cheaped out and went with a Sony budget reciever.

The difference in sound between the two set ups is as clear as day. If you didn't know we had the exact same set up (speaker-wise), you'd think his entire set up was different.

The sound I get from mine is so much more robust. His is very tinny and very limited in what he can do with it. Even now, I still find myself going through the various sound options to find what sounds best for any given source material.

Not saying you need to get high end equipment, but don't belive that the reciever is the least important part or just doesn't matter. It does.

Just make sure your receiver is solid as well as your speakers and you should be fine.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
SUPREME1 said:
I gotta disagree.

When I was more or less finished with my receiver and speaker set up, my father-in-law was impressed enough with it that he asked me to do the same for him.

The difference in sound between the two set ups is as clear as day. If you didn't know we had the exact same set up (speaker-wise), you'd think his entire set up was different.

The sound I get from mine is so much more robust. His is very tinny and very limited in what he can do with it. Even now, I still find myself going through the various sound options to find what sounds best for any given source material.

Not saying you need to get high end equipment, but don't belive that the reciever is the least important part or just doesn't matter. It does.

Just make sure your receiver is solid as well as your speakers and you should be fine.

I didn't mean a budget receiver >_>

Instead of getting a $800 receiver, it is better to to buy a $500 receiver and put the extra money into better speakers.

HenryGale said:
Whats a 6.1? Never seen one. Two front, two side, two back?

Also my old system was from best buy. I obviously had no idea what something like this would cost lol. Not much of an audio guy I just know what I want the system to be able to do. Didn't know until now that wireless speakers sound like crap, Im used to streaming HD video no issue I figured wireless audio shouldn't be a problem anymore either.

6.1 = Left + Center + Right + Surround Left + Rear Center + Surround Right

SUPREME1 said:
I gotta disagree.

I think he's just saying that you don't need to update speakers very often as long as you get a good solid set compared to the concept of you'll be updating your receiver more often. So putting money up front in speakers is a good investment where as putting a ton of money into a receiver that you'll have to replace anyway isn't as good of an investment.

Raistlin

SUPREME1 said:
Not sure what you mean.

If you do your due diligence, you can find audio/video retailers who need to unload product from last year to make room for the new stuff. There are deals to be had.

Higher end receivers hold up extremely well and usually have new features first. So even if you are buying last year's Elite receiver, you're probably still ahead of the pack feature-wise. They also use better materials and will last longer than budget receivers.

For instance, this is the deal I got when purchasing my Elite receiver:

Pioneer Elite VSX 91-TXH

MSRP at launch: $1,200

What I paid 1 year later: $600

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3442/463566618VSX-91TXH_FRONT_med.jpg[/IMG

[URL="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-91TXH"]Here is a link to teh reciver itself if you'd like to look at the specs. This was a few years back now and it still more than holds it's own.[/URL][/QUOTE]
What I'm saying is the 'Elite' brand in itself no longer holds the same weight as it used to.

That doesn't mean it sucks, or that some of its offerings are no longer high-end ... however they've extended the designation downwards, diluting its reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom