• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
uNZhvCd.png

Fuck me.

0fFDGkq.gif

Wow 89 meta!
Even with all my faith in GG I did not expect the game to score this highly.

Very good scores.

Negatives usually are focused on presence of some Far Cry-esque game systems and questionable lipsync/char animation.... If that all that it is, then I will have great time with it [I never played FC3/4].

I believe the patch we get next week at launch is going to fix some of the lip sync issues.
Think I heard that in Kinda Funny review.

BeeDog

Sony was correct in allowing the embargo to lift early, goddamn. The scores are way better than I imagined and makes the wait even more unbearable.

Also happy that the general consensus matches the hype from the lucky ones who got the game early.

Actually alot of people were talking about who they going to balance this and Zelda.

Yeah, we have two meaty games releasing within days of one another. At least in my case, I have trouble alternating between two (relatively) similar lengthy games, so I'll have to choose one to focus on. It'll likely be Horizon since I might just wait for Zelda to work well on the Cemu emulator. I may not be able to deal with the game's poor image quality on my Wii U after Horizon.

Tareskog

o_O

Holy sht this game got some good reviews

It's 2.5 in a 5 scale. So it would be more correct to convert it to 5/10 in a 10 scale. Don't get why people are getting upset by this low score tho. Reviews are always subjective. I admit it looks a bit strange in that company, but I don't know how people can get upset by it.

But as I have mentioned earlier; I have been convinced by all the positive feedback, and might end up buying it after all.

Rurunaki

Seeing the zoids animation and combat, I'm sitting here wishing Sony will fund a monster hunter-esque game for the ps4.. I think that's the one genre they are lacking at this point.

JMY86

Wow impressive review scores. I was honestly expecting 7.5-8.0 with this being developed by Guerilla, Nice job guys. I better decide on my Switch preorder I'm not sure if wanna play this or Zelda before Mass Effect comes out.

Godan

Nice scores so far but i will wait to see what the users score will be on metacritic before pulling the trigger on the game.

HeavenlyE

God damn getting in the high 80s these days is really impressive honestly, I was expecting it to be good but not system seller good

bigol

There was no way this was going to review similar or better than Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 set new standards of quality in storytelling, world building and characters while Horizon even being good doesn't reach that quality.

I also continue to find the combat a bit too simplistic and boring. (Prepare the avater quotes).

The world of the Witcher 3 was so engrossing, detailed and well described that even a boring combat couldn't drag it down, while in Horizon i see not enough compelling world building or characters writing to play it till the end that is why i was hoping for a moderately short main quest lenght.

The Eurogamer review echoed my worries about the game.

It's a pity because the enemies design and animations are one of the best (if not the best) in recent RPGs.

There was no way this was going to review similar or better than Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 set new standards of quality in storytelling, world building and characters while Horizon even being good doesn't reach that part.

I also continue to find the combat a bit too simplistic and boring. (Prepare the avater quote).

The world of the Witcher 3 was so engrossing, detailed and well described that even a boring combat couldn't drag it down, while in Horizon i see not enough compelling world building or characters writing to play it till the end.

The Eurogamer review echoed my worries about the game.

Witcher 3 91, Horizon 89......Does not compute. Scores are very close.
The one negative review spoke to you but none of the positive ones did, gotcha. The story and characters are getting a tonne of praise.

Nice scores so far but i will wait to see what the users score will be on metacritic before pulling the trigger on the game.

lol. now I heard it all.

Freeman76

Eurogamer are usually my go to review site, and they were far from gushy over the game and also addressed issues I was hoping to avoid (FC style outposts/towers etc that have been done to death) but I cannot ignore the overwhelming positive press it has elsewhere and will be diving in next week.

WITHE1982

Oh FFS! Time to empty the penny jar again.

I was stuck between this and NieR: Automata and now it looks like I'll have to shell out for both.

The beginning of 2017 has not been a very good time for my wallet.

Dahaka

Have they said how the sound is?

GG always had a heart for good sound, no matter if Killzone 2 SPE Wavetracing or MADDER in SF etc..

Floody

Any sort of average score will be fuck by all the fanboys giving it 10/10s and 0/10s, it'll be useless unless you wanna swim through all the shit to find the genuine reviews.

It´s OK, nothing to write home about though.

Each part of the day looks great, but the transition is a bit abrupt to be honest. I suppose they wanted to maximise the beauty of each time of day, but this makes the transition between the very different colour schemes a bit jarring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom