• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Norwegian Music! An Introduction! Must-see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaser

Norwegian music! Yeah! I guess you think "A-HA" or "the hobbit who won International Idol", but there's sooo much more... and so here I am, taking it upon myself to point you in the directions of a few great songs and artists you would never ever see otherwise:

Euroboys

1086068203.16399.jpg

"One Way Trip" by Euroboys is the ultimate feel-good-summer-song! Plays on the radio and on MTV Nordic constantly, and just gets better and better and better the more you listen to it. Go to www.euroboys.no, click on the movie at the bottom of the screen to watch the video. It's so... pleasant and warm!

Euroboys used to be called "Kåre And The Cavemen", and their bass-player got his share of fame and fortune once when he posed buck naked in a woman's magazine a few years ago. They've also had bouts with cocaine and brawls with Turbonegro (a band you might actually know about), but that's apparently behind them now.

Palace Of Pleasure

palace4web.jpg

"Ville Hester" ("Wild Horses" in English) by Palace Of Pleasure. Very hypnotic and fun tune! The only electronica-song I can think of that would fit perfectly in a hardboiled western-movie. The site is at www.palace.no/. Click on "open the POP-player" and choose song number 5.

There's also a weird remix of A-HA's "Lifelines" at number 16.

Silje Nergaard

11-52.jpg

"Be Still My Heart" by Silje Nergaard is incredibly beautiful. Wow. See the video at www.siljenergaard.com (under "video", obviously). The sound-quality isn't good, and doesn't represent the song in its best light, cutting it a bit short, but it's still fantastic. And she's quite pretty, too, for her age ;-)

There's another music-video there too, "I don't want to see you cry", which is also good, and an interview with small sound-bytes here and there from her latest album.

Her music is a kind of easy-listening jazz-pop. Most of it, especially the newer stuff, is very good, and a few of the songs are absolutely stunning. See if you can find "Lullaby To Erle" from the album "At First Light"... probably her very best song.

Come Shine

340491.jpeg

The best group in the WORLD! When it comes to jazzy songs with a great female vocalist, nothing in the world can touch Come Shine. Their site is at www.comeshine.com. My favourite group! They only do covers of well-known songs like "Over The Rainbow" and "September Song" and such, but they're often so good that I prefer their versions over the originals most of the time.

I can't find really good, free versions of their songs anywhere (there are four short clips on their own site), but if you go to http://www.curlinglegs.musiconline.no/shop/displayArtist.asp?id=21391 you can preview short clips of all of the songs on their three albums. You can also buy the songs for downloading, either all of them or one by one.

Listen to all of them, PLEASE! Only short clips, but you'll get a vague idea of how good they really are.

Better yet, buy the albums and put them in your cd-player. They're all equally brilliant, and you will forever thank me, even if you're not normally into jazz.

Kings Of Convenience

376x180.jpg

A completely new song: "I'd rather dance with you" by Kings Of Convenience. A nice, bouncy song with a GREAT video. Listen to it at http://www.fs1.co.uk/ecard/kings/ or watch it at http://www.kingsofconvenience.com/# (go on to the "audio/video"-part and scroll down). The video is absolutely hilarious, but this clip is unfortunately a short one without the best parts.

Kings Of Convenience is a weird little band... they were a big deal a couple of years ago with an album called "Quiet Is The New Loud". The singer, Erlend Øye, is the biggest nerd alive, yet still manages to be cool as ice :) He has a great voice, and is also well known for doing the vocals on Röyksopp's "Melody A.M." (one of the songs, "Poor Leno", is in SSX3).

That's it! Hope you like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom