• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are Seagate hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate my Seagate 80 gig hdd! I get tons of hdd lag while playing games (especially Far Cry and BF vietnam) Its like the hdd can't load the maps while in the loading screen, it loads em while ur playing (hard to explain but I tried defrag etc and nothing helped) Maybe its the RPM! Who knows...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Doom_Bringer said:
I hate my Seagate 80 gig hdd! I get tons of hdd lag while playing games (especially Far Cry and BF vietnam) Its like the hdd can't load the maps while in the loading screen, it loads em while ur playing (hard to explain but I tried defrag etc and nothing helped) Maybe its the RPM! Who knows...

or maybe something is messed up in your computer settings.

Vormund

I've had no problems with Seagate. Good HD.

Also how much RAM are you running FarCry with? I had 512 and the game had a stuttering framerate in sections, upgrading to 1GB fixed that.

mattx5 said:
They ARE the best. Quiet, fast and reliable.

That's interesting, because I had a seagate drive a few years ago that was loud, slow, and crashed within a year of getting it. But maybe they've gotten better. Of course, all brands will have a bad drive every so often.

We use Western Digital at work, and they do quite well.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
About 2 weeks ago I purchased a 120gb Seagate with an 8mb buffer, and mounted it to a firewire enclosure to work as a pseudo external drive for my laptop.

Blazingly fast and almost as silent as death. Fantastic drive.

Mrbob

They suck. That's why I just bought a 120GIG 8MB cache model a couple weeks ago (Mejilan stole my HDD!).

Supasso

Doom_Bringer said:
That has nothing to do with the hdd. Get more RAM.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mrbob said:
They suck. That's why I just bought a 120GIG 8MB cache model a couple weeks ago (Mejilan stole my HDD!).

Perhaps Newegg.com did, as they provided me with my new tech. ;)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I've got a 160 GB seagate barracuda (SATA).

Fast and reliable. Tho not as quiet as people make it out to be.

B'z-chan

Banned
OH crap i dont need more space i just cleared up a crap load of space on my 80gb and am trying to get a 40gb hooked up to my raid controler and working (unsucesfuly though) But i can say without a doubt Seagates are the best drives i've ever had. I hear there sata drives are crap, but i havent tested that thouroughly enough.

Nice find on the 200gb i just have enough for that. Looks like the gf its getting one of my crappy 80gb's now. (goes to contemplate going to hell or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom