• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you throw away a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

I'm looking to trash an old P166 that has no usefulness and no resale value. I know that both the computer and the monitor contain hazardous chemicals that shouldn't go to an ordinary landfill.

So where do I take them, if I want to be eco-friendly? Are there places I can go drop off stuff like this for free, proper disposal?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
check classifieds... should see people/businesses that buy old electronics.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure you can just junk the computer. The monitor contains lead though, and needs to be disposed of properly.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Take the monitor and smash it against the side of a dumpster. It makes a wonderful hissing noise while the phosphor gases in the CRT tube escape...

Mashing

Like this:

image_2_-_2_3_96.jpg

border

There's nothing in the PC worth taking. 4MB video card....56K modem...12X CD drive?

I already opened the hard drive and scratched the platter up nice n' good. Is that enough to prevent data recovery? Perhaps I should just toss the HD into the sewer?

So where does the monitor have to go to, if that's the only thing that can't be thrown in the regular trash?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
don't doubt the power of the classifieds... there's people that buy stuff for the chips alone... for instance people who collect microchip "art."

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
border said:
So where does the monitor have to go to, if that's the only thing that can't be thrown in the regular trash?

Just wait until your nearby grocery store is closed and then go throw it in their dumpster. I've thrown numerous monitors into dumpsters without trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom