• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much is Chrono Trigger Worth to You?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hehe, I got that game in a mint box with all the manuals, papers, plastic and everything for $10 bucks about 3 or 4 years ago in a gamestop. Sad thing is that I gave it to one of my good friends and didn't get it back =(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's worth pulling open the drawer to extract my copy and play it once every couple of years. that's about it

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
No game is worth that much, even if it is one of the best games of all time.

Fireblend

Banned
Chrono Trigger is the best game I've ever played. My favorite by far and one of the best of all time.

I wouldn't pay that amount to play it though :lol

Edit: It is completely new tho... and I'm drooling...

Jesus shit... The game's good, but not $1000 good...

No game is worth that much.

I still have my original SNES cartridge. No box, or instructions...but fuck, I can play the game, so who gives a shit.

Yeah I still have my CT cart, I doubt I'd ever sell it. Great game.:D

I'm hoping this game comes out on VC. I dont want to have to keep hooking up my snes are playing it on an emulator. Same with FF6.:D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
GhettoGamer said:
i wasnt promoting it, i was just saying

You just confessed you download ROMs and play them on ZSNES. That alone is bannable. So, yeah, cross your fingers and hope a mod doesn't see it.

Relix said:
You just confessed you download ROMs and play them on ZSNES. That alone is bannable. So, yeah, cross your fingers and hope a mod doesn't see it.

He didn't confess to anything, he simply mentioned the emulator. (sarcastically)

Draft

Relix said:
He didn't confess anything.

Isn't backseat modding bannable?

Relix said:

I didnt confess I dl roms, where did i confess that i dl roms? Everyone knows about the zsnes, and to pay that much when there are cheaper "methods" to play CT is just ludacris. Again im not promoting the dling of roms/emulators, just making a statement

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I have 6 copies of Chrono Trigger altogether.

3 SNES.

1 that is pretty much in as MINT condition possible, still has the plastic wrap around it from when it was purchased. All the paperwork has been untouched, just the game cart.

1 in box, same condition, no plastic.

1 cart only.

and 3 for PS1 via Final Fantasy Chronicles...

All sealed :)

It's worth that much to me.

I pity the foo that paid a G tho :/

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Draft said:
He didn't confess anything.

Isn't backseat modding bannable?

Actually I just said Bye? with a question mark because well he didn't exactly say he downloaded roms. Then again, I hate backseat modding and now look at me doing it =(. Continue the thread, nvm me....

Sapiens

Relix said:

What's your problem? It was a joke.

I bought CT for $100 when it first came out years ago. Even though it is my favourite game of all time, $1000+ is a mite expensive. However, I would pay hundreds of dollars for a next-gen remake that did the original justice. Bring back the Dream Team!

Also, for those of you extolling the virtues of the Chronicles re-release: it's cheap, but it's absolute shit. Tinny sound effects and abhorrent loading times ahoy.

I posted this in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, but I guess it deserves it's own thread.

I personally wouldn't pay over $60 for the game, but then again, I don't have much money to spend $100+ on one game. >_<
I'm really hoping that Chrono Trigger comes out on VC for the Wii since I have yet to beat it, but I might be forced to buy a used copy or something, I REALLY want to beat the game.

Sapiens

MarkMan said:

3 SNES.

1 that is pretty much in as MINT condition possible, still has the plastic wrap around it from when it was purchased. All the paperwork has been untouched, just the game cart.

1 cart only.

is the plastic wrap around your copy the same as the wrap in the ebay auction? Just curious.

Fireblend

Banned
Really? Saying I use ZSNES and download ROMs and play them is a ban-worthy offense? can a mod confirm this? I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in that "GAF plays" thread that playing using emulators was fair play? (The Earthbound one, which was actually posted by a mod if I'm not mistaken)

I'm against emulation myself, but seriously, if I never owned a SNES, they're out of production and Chrono Trigger's difficult to find and buy I'd say emulation is a fair choice, it's not like I'm hurting the industry for not buying a 15+ years old game. I don't want to get into an argument about it, but I'd say that for games like CT, Earthbound and other old, rare games it's ok to emulate.

If this kind of discussion is indeed banned here, I'll remove this post if requested by a mod.

Relix said:
1z6fh8g.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Fireblend said:
Really? Saying I use ZSNES and download ROMs and play them is a ban-worthy offense? can a mod confirm this? I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in that "GAF plays" thread that playing using emulators was fair play? (The Earthbound one, which was actually posted by a mod if I'm not mistaken)

I'm against emulation myself, but seriously, if I never owned a SNES, they're out of production and Chrono Trigger's difficult to find and buy I'd say emulation is a fair choice, it's not like I'm hurting the industry for not buying a 15+ years old game. I don't want to get into an argument about it, but I'd say that for games like CT, Earthbound and other old, rare games it's ok to emulate.

If this kind of discussion is indeed banned here, I'll remove this post if requested by a mod.

I have seen people being banned over it, hell my first ban was because of the CSP3 when it was released. So yeah... keep on topic =P
alexh said:
What if he has the actual game?

Its still illegal as far as I know

MoxManiac

KingGraham said:
Jesus shit... The game's good, but not $1000 good...

No game is worth that much.

I still have my original SNES cartridge. No box, or instructions...but fuck, I can play the game, so who gives a shit.

I think you're missing the point (not that I think the price in the auction is reasonable for a sealed copy, 1000 is insane)

The winning bidder didn't buy it to play, he'll likely never even open it. He bought it because of the rarity of a sealed copy of CT.

MoxManiac said:
I think you're missing the point (not that I think the price in the auction is reasonable for a sealed copy, 1000 is insane)

The winning bidder didn't buy it to play, he'll likely never even open it. He bought it because of the rarity of a sealed copy of CT.

Actually I think we all got that.

alexh

Relix said:
I have seen people being banned over it, hell my first ban was because of the CSP3 when it was released. So yeah... keep on topic =P

Its still illegal as far as I know

I think your right

Atari, Inc. v. JS&A Group, Inc.

"JS&A Group were the vendors of a cart dumper called the "PROM Blaster" for Atari 2600 videogames. It was a device designed to allow its operators to dump the object code from within the ROMs of an Atari 2600 videogame cartridge. Atari sued JS&A for contributory copyright infringement of its proprietary videogame software. JS&A argued that archival copying was permitted under copyright law (17 USC 117), so the purpose of a cart dumper constituted "substantial non-infringing use." The court found that a computer program embedded within a piece of hardware, such as the ROMs used within a typical videogame cartridge, cannot be reprogrammed or erased. As such, it was contained within a form of storage media designed to permanently preserve the program. JS&A's contention that cart dumps protected the actual cartridge against possible physical harm (and thus the program embedded inside) might also be applied to other forms of physical media, such as phonograph records and books. Since copyright law did not allow for this practice in regard to these and other such forms of physical media (photocopying a book, physically duplicating a phonograph record), they likewise did not apply to the practice of archiving computer programs embedded within a piece of hardware. The archival exception for computer software did not apply to programs stored within permanent storage media (in this case a videogame cartridge) because these forms of media are not subject to the sort of risks that the archival clause was designed to guard against. As a result, the court ruled that dumping a videogame cartridge for archival purposes is not covered by the archival clause of copyright law."
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/EmuFAQ2000/AppendixB.htm

Well I'll be, I always thought the disclaimer was you needed to delete it within 24 hours if you didn't own the cartridge.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Sapiens said:
is the plastic wrap around your copy the same as the wrap in the ebay auction? Just curious.

Yea, same type of plastic wrap, but I still have the plastic hangtab on it... it's just there's a slit on the side where it's been opened.

chrono trigger is priceless. i have a mint boxcopy that i'd never consider selling. also a cart only and the ps1 version as well as the version included in chronicles.

Sapiens

MarkMan said:
Yea, same type of plastic wrap, but I still have the plastic hangtab on it... it's just there's a slit on the side where it's been opened.

The fact that there is no 'tab' on the ebay one worries me.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
MarkMan said:

3 SNES.

1 cart only.

Let me buy your Final Fantasy Chronicles from you (black label please) :D

Tain

Who wouldn't buy a this-gen console if the Crono remake was coming out on it?

Most of this game was worth my time, but not all of it. So, nah, I probably wouldn't play it again.

Top Bottom