• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how much marketshare did Saturn gain in Japan? need solid figures for last generation

GigaDrive

Banned
I need solid sales figures / installed userbase figures for Japan, for the last gen consoles

PS-X / PlayStation
Saturn
PC-FX
Nintendo 64

as most of you know, Saturn was Sega's only real success in Japan. did Saturn outsell the N64 over there? I know the N64 outsold the Saturn worldwide by a large margin but in Japan, where Saturn did well and N64 I think did poorly.... I was thinking perhaps Saturn outsold N64, but maybe not.

anyway, I'd appreciate reliable figures for just Japan for last generation consoles.

I'm sure someone here has the actual numbers, but I'm pretty sure the difference betweeen the N64 and Saturn in Japan was in the hundreds of thousands in favor of the Saturn when Sega pulled the plug (somewhere around the 6 million mark). I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo ended up chipping away that difference afterwards (they had a couple of years) , but the difference would likely still be pretty miniscule whereever it ended up.

The Saturn did well in Japan compared to its predecessors and how it did in the US, while the N64 did poorly in Japan by the same measures, when they both sold almost the same amount of hardware there (though Nintendo sold a lot more software than Sega).

Jumpman

These are the number that I have.

Playstation 19,130,000
Saturn 5,600,000
PC-FX 400,000
Nintendo 64 5,540,000

These numbers could be as much as 2 years old, so you can't call them 100% accurate.
Depending on how old they are, you may need to add a few hundred thousand to the Playstation total. The N64 was also selling in low quantitys until fairly recently, so there is a chance that it passed the Saturn up.

GigaDrive

Banned
thanks Jumpman

okay that tells me that basicly, while at the time that last generation was the present generation, at the end of it, Saturn was pretty much ahead of the N64. at least as of 1999.

Sega moved on with the Dreamcast in 1998-1999, still selling the Saturn in Japan, but Nintendo continued with what they had, the N64, until 2001.

Jumpman

GigaDrive said:
thanks Jumpman

okay that tells me that basicly, while at the time that last generation was the present generation, at the end of it, Saturn was pretty much ahead of the N64. at least as of 1999.

Sega moved on with the Dreamcast in 1998-1999, still selling the Saturn in Japan, but Nintendo continued with what they had, the N64, until 2001.

Yeah, Saturn may have been ahead when Dreamcast launched, but at that point, it had been available much longer than N64 had. It's sales lead was to be expected.

Top Bottom