• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Reinstall Windows 10 on a new Drive

SOLDIER

I've got a new SSD coming in the mail, and I'm planning to make that my new primary drive for my computer. I'm prepared to back up my files and do a clean install on the SSD, but I'm making this thread in the hopes that someone can tell me what I need to do to have Windows ready.

My original OS was Windows 7, which was purchased digitally. I upgraded to Windows 10 for free via Microsoft's promotion, but now I'm wondering what steps I have to take in order to put Windows 10 on my new SSD. Will I have to dig up my Windows 7 activation key and then apply Windows 10 on top of that, or can I just skip to Windows 10?

From my research so far, it seems Microsoft has a media creation tool you can download onto a USB or DVD. According to the notes, you wouldn't need to put an activation key if you got Windows 10 as a free upgrade.

Again, I want to make sure I'm following the right steps to avoid a future hassle.

Edit: Sorry, meant to post this in off-topic, but maybe someone here would know the answer.

Top Bottom