• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How was Mario Party 5?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1235
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of picking this game up for me and my gf to play, is it any good? I have never played a mario party game, there is one other in the house who would probably play as well, is 2 and 3 player worth it or is 4 needed to make it worth while?

Joe

just a lot of fun to play with some friends. you get the two-on-two's going, free for all. good stuff.

kiryogi

Banned
Whats lacking in 5 then? I'm interested myself, my sister was saying she wants to pick up 5. However, if 4 is better then I'd need to tell her.

cvxfreak

I loved Mario Party 5, because it had a great single player mode. It's minigames were way better than Mario Party 4's, and the graphics style was my cup of tea for Nintendo games (MP4 was, too).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the maps in 5 a whole lot better, and the item system was interesting. However I hated the number of "random games" where you just pull the rope or turn the crank. I miss Booksquirm and the crayon tracing game from 4 also.

Five is, in my opinion, easily the best in the series. The Capsule system keeps the game boards different every time you play, that's good.

I also think four was the absolute worst of the lot. The boards are uninspired (bland track designs floating above a background, wtf?). The mini-games are good but the game boards are so boring I can't stand the game.

Six will be far and away better hopefully, with it's new "no controller" design or whatever.

Mario Party 5 had the best board game portions of the series. They still have some work to do in streamlining everything but this was a leap over 4. Minigame wise I think on a whole the quality is better than in 4 but 4's best games are better than 5's best games. Dungeon Duos for instance.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Many people on this board hold MP4 as the best in the series. But the general consensus(not on this board) is that MP4 is the worst, and that MP5 is the best.

Please keep in mind that all these "4 is best" fools have probably never even played the first 3 games! Anyone who has, and who has even an ounce of sense, knows that the original Mario Party still annihilates every sequel. I still play it regularly all these years later, as others have come and gone, and the competition is as fierce as ever.

That said, if you're stuck with just a Gamecube, 5 is your best bet. It's the best Mario Party since the original, easily.

Doesn't anyone else respect the Mario Party roots? :(

Deg

Banned
Mario Party 5 is the best. Its almost impossible to play the boards in 4 after playing Mario Party 5. I'd say its a must have judging by the fun i have had with the game.

snaildog

Mario Party 1 kinda sucked looking back on it. It had stupid one-player challenges all through the 4-player game where everyone had to sit and watch, and it had those twirling games which wreck your controllers. IMO: 2 > 4 > 3 > 1 (Haven't played 5 or much of 3).

Dyne

The only thing 5 doesn't have over 4 is the crayon drawing game.. but it makes up for that with other games.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well I just might be 100 AU bucks poorer then. sigh. but it just looks so much fun.

snaildog said:
Mario Party 1 kinda sucked looking back on it. It had stupid one-player challenges all through the 4-player game where everyone had to sit and watch, and it had those twirling games which wreck your controllers. IMO: 2 > 4 > 3 > 1 (Haven't played 5 or much of 3).

Weaksauce. The twirling stick games were the best minigames in any Mario Party game, and thin-skinned weaklings like yourself ruined it for everyone! Good going! >:O

Dyne

Did anyone ever get those gloves to play Mario Party? I was thick-skinned too and never needed them.. I could have swore there were official gloves for that..

Mario Party and Smash Bros ruined my N64 controllers. :(

Grubdog

Banned
5 > 2 > 1 > 3 >>> 4

4 was a huge disappointment for me, how can anyone like it more than other Mario Partys? The minigames are so lame, the boards and progression is PAINFULLY slow and dull. I love 5 though, it's so much more fun, the boards rock, the mini games rock, it just plain rocks!

Can't wait to see what 6 is like, it's still coming out this year isn't it? We should hear something soon then...

ChrisReid

Deepthroat said:
It's very good. But I still hold MP4 as the best Mario Party game.

Yeah, I agree with this. Hard to say why.. 5 seemed a little slow and the games slightly less fun.. Both are excellent though. 4 was completely great all throughout.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sweet, just ordered it. This threads made me anticipate it quite a bit. cheers all.

4 was the stain on the series, and to this day I try to push the memory of it into the shadows of my long-term memory. After coming from Mario Party 3, it was easily the biggest let-down I have seen from almost any series. In the third installment you had lots of really clever games that could test your skills, as well as strategic item usage like the reverse mushrooms. Going to MP4 was like going from t-bone steak to bologna.

Then Mario Party 5 came out. Part of me knew that the team still had it in them to make a totally awesome Mario Party game, so I checked it out. Thank god I did. Mario Party 5 rocks. A lot of the boards have been compacted (unlike the ridiculously large boards in MP4) which almost brings it to the roots of the series. The board design, IMO, is by far the best in the series. The minigames are fun, and you can choose to play "skill games" or "all mini-games" etc.

In short, Mario Party 5 restored my faith in the series, took a step further, and I will do my best to try and forget the rotting dissapointment that was MP4.

catfish said:
Thinking of picking this game up for me and my gf to play, is it any good? I have never played a mario party game, there is one other in the house who would probably play as well, is 2 and 3 player worth it or is 4 needed to make it worth while?

I was in your exact same position. I got MP4 when it came out and my gf and I played it quite frequently with my friends. But when MP5 hit she really took a liking to that. The game is much more userfriendly and easy to play. Also, the beautiful 3D maps are really crisp and colorful, so my girlfriend enjoyed it much more than the static visuals of 4. And I would argue the mini-games are much more fun and varied.

BuG

I had Mario Party 4 for a day but I sold it because of how slow the board sections went. Does MP5 still require each player to roll their dice and to move individually, or has it been sped up so three people aren't waiting around picking their noses until the mini-games begin?

I only ever played the first or second one for a few days when I rented it out ages ago, and I haven't touched MP since it caused my steering wheel (which we were using as a substitute controller) was broken during the mini-game with three people versus Donkey Kong (or something like that) but my little sister keeps begging me to get MP4 or 5, and I have to cave sooner or later.

5's gameplay is much sped up. In single player mode, the NPC characters all role at once which makes the solo play much more fun. And in multiplayer the cut-scenes are either cut, shortened or skippable. It is much better than MP4. All around. And it has a very nice Kart Combat game, that lets you customize your vehicle with unlocked parts.

BuG

Cool. It was the wading-through-pig-shit speed of MP4 which turned me off it. If MP5 is faster I'll have to get it.

Rlan

Curse the Mario Party series for destroying the Koopa Kids and creating Baby Bowser. The Yoshi games were meant to be before Mario damnit, when Bowser was a kid, and how he's even in the main games like SMS and MK: DD.

And curse Baby Mario and Baby Luigi too.

I've only played 1, 2 and 4. I didn't like 2 because of the clothing each character got. It was lame.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
MP4 did have the greatest 2 on 2 mini game yet, Dungeon Duos. I like the shop item system better then the random ball machine in 5. Other than that, 5 is a lot better. Brought the duels back to the series, plus added so many other game modes, Decatheletes, Mini-Game Wars...

MP1, like someone already said, had too many one player sequences.

Ryu

My friends and I both like the loading speed and lack of overblown menus in Mario Party 5, but that's about it. We all feel that Mario Party 4 had the far better set of mini games and the much better board design.

Top Bottom