• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Howard Stern press conference: back on in the 6 markets & more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eat that Clear Channel.

I didn't catch all the stations, but his show is now added to:

Austin
Houston
Orlando 105.9
Rochester 94.1
San Diego
West Palm Beach 103.1
Pittsburgh 93.7
Tampa
Fresno

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/30/news/newsmakers/stern/index.htm

Actually, he's returning to five of the markets, and adding the others...

Stern said he will be returning to five markets -- Pittsburgh, San Diego, West Palm Beach, Fla., Orlando, Fla., and Rochester, N.Y. -- after having been pulled off stations owned by Clear Channel Communications (CCU: Research, Estimates).

Stern said his show will also air in Houston, Austin, Texas, Tampa, Fla., and Fresno, Calif.

Diablos

Interesting. 93.7 (WBZZ) does not seem like a good station for Stern though... they play top 40 pop and hip hop. Heh...

Diablos said:
Interesting. 93.7 (WBZZ) does not seem like a good station for Stern though... they play top 40 pop and hip hop. Heh...

I don't know if it's 93.7, but he mentioned that at least one of the stations is changing it's format and/or name. But yeah, top 40 and hip hop is a little odd. Most of the stations he announced seemed to be either FM Talk or "alternative" music.

Meier

Hooooooly shit. Can't believe O-Rock got Howard.. I was thinking it would be a good fit but never guessed they'd have enough to snag him. He's been on a Clear Channel affiliate here forever but had been off the air since the incident. I was wondering when he'd ever get back..

goodcow

Meier said:
Hooooooly shit. Can't believe O-Rock got Howard.. I was thinking it would be a good fit but never guessed they'd have enough to snag him. He's been on a Clear Channel affiliate here forever but had been off the air since the incident. I was wondering when he'd ever get back..

Perhaps he settled on taking less money, in exchange for not being controlled by Clear Channel?

Ripclawe

Banned
Why is anyone surprised? it was only a matter of time, the whole OMG I AM BEING CENSORED!!! ATTICA ATTICA! was nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Ripclawe said:
Why is anyone surprised? it was only a matter of time, the whole OMG I AM BEING CENSORED!!! ATTICA ATTICA! was nothing more than a publicity stunt.

So you're saying Stern wasn't being censored then?

Kuroyume

Banned
Look's like it's over for Bushy! EVERYBODY LET'S PARTY. I live in NYC so I was not bothered the last few month but this is a great time for all Stern fans.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Ripclawe said:
I guess the huge fines the FCC levied against him, and the constant bleeping of his show that occurs in many stations now as a result, was all a publicity stunt too.

Ripclawe

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So you're saying Stern wasn't being censored then?

No.

I guess the huge fines the FCC levied against him, and the constant bleeping of his show that occurs in many stations now as a result, was all a publicity stunt too.

please, he was not the only one being fined and its not like this something that has started since the super bowl. If he was the only one singled out with orders from the government to "censor" him, he would have a case, its a industry wide crackdown and he is the most popular of all them.

Clear Channel dumped him because he was causing them headaches, a few months passed and he is on other stations, thats simple radio business dealings. The whole censor nonsense and seeing people get worked up over nothing was funny.

G4life98

Ripclawe said:

this is a joke post right?

Ripclawe said:
please, he was not the only one being fined and its not like this something that has started since the super bowl. If he was the only one singled out with orders from the government to "censor" him, he would have a case, its a industry wide crackdown and he is the most popular of all them.

He's not being targeted then? Why is it that if he'd played the tape Oprah played on her show he'd got fined by the FCC, but Oprah could play it without any fines? You're saying that's not singling someone out?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Ripclawe said:
please, he was not the only one being fined and its not like this something that has started since the super bowl.
Actually, it is; he was fined more trivial amounts in the past, but Clear Channel stood by him and it was never a big deal. In the post-Super Bowl world, the FCC is being much more aggressive to censor (i.e., block listeners from hearing what he is saying) him.

If he was the only one singled out with orders from the government to "censor" him, he would have a case, its a industry wide crackdown and he is the most popular of all them.
He's not the only one, but I don't see how that means that he isn't being censored. And besides, as someone else pointed out, there are many double-standards and hypocracies involved (Oprah's show, etc.)

It's also utterly ridiculous, as Stern pointed out recently on his show, the penalities for having to be censored; he is being fined $500,000 for talking about "doody", while someone caught giving money to knowingly aid terrorist activities gets up to $50,000.

Ripclawe

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
He's not being targeted then? Why is it that if he'd played the tape Oprah played on her show he'd got fined by the FCC, but Oprah could play it without any fines? You're saying that's not singling someone out?

because she is Oprah and untouchable.

Yeah, Clear Channel paid the 1.7M fine with monopoly money.

it was just because of Howard, I think bubba the love sponge and a couple of other radio hosts were included in that.

Ripclawe

Banned
Actually, it is; he was fined more trivial amounts in the past, but Clear Channel stood by him and it was never a big deal. In the post-Super Bowl world, the FCC is being much more aggressive to censor (i.e., block listeners from hearing what he is saying) him.

The FCC is being more aggressive in cleaning up the airwaves, if it was censoring Howard they would have order him taken off stations, Clear Channel made a BUSINESS decision to take him off their 6 stations and he was free to get on other stations. Don't confuse business with something more dangerous which is censoring by the government, something that Howard was not. He was fined, CC said he has to go so they are not put in a position to be held liable and he got on other stations after only 2 months.

G4life98 said:
and thats the problem, the unapollogetic hypocrisy that engulfs the fcc.

Exactly, you can't have it both ways if it's "fair". If Oprah's allowed to discuss sex in that way everyone should be able to. And people can't say 'Hey it was because it was educational" because Stern wasn't allowed to play that "educational" piece of material on his show.

Teddman

The FCC is being more aggressive in cleaning up the airwaves, if it was censoring Howard they would have order him taken off stations,
True, but the end result is still indirect censorship. Such huge amounts will make the stations go to lengths to avoid being fined... And the delay is hit on Stern more than ever now.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Ripclawe said:
The FCC is being more aggressive in cleaning up the airwaves, if it was censoring Howard they would have order him taken off stations, Clear Channel made a BUSINESS decision to take him off their 6 stations and he was free to get on other stations. Don't confuse business with something more dangerous which is censoring by the government, something that Howard was not. He was fined, CC said he has to go so they are not put in a position to be held liable and he got on other stations after only 2 months.
I would consider what the FCC is attempting to -- that is, control what I, as an American adult, can choose to see and listen to -- "dangerous" enough. Clear Channel's decision was related to the FCC's mandate. You can call it "business" if you want, but if the FCC had not come down on him, there would've been no problem.

G4life98

Ripclawe said:

thats bullshit pure and simple, the fcc isnt just cleaning up the air waves...with these new bills they are effectively putting guns to heads of performers and saying if you try to push the envelope in any way...BAM.

and who are they cleaning up the airwavs for anyway, shouldnt the fact that he is number one in most of the markets he is in be a real indicator of what the people want.

Ripclawe

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Exactly, you can't have it both ways if it's "fair". If Oprah's allowed to discuss sex in that way everyone should be able to. And people can't say 'Hey it was because it was educational" because Stern wasn't allowed to play that "educational" piece of material on his show.

Oprah is considered an infotainment show, Howard is not.

Ripclawe said:

Doesn't matter. If something is good for Oprah to air it should be just as good for Stern to air. By saying she can air certain things and Stern can't is a double standard and that's what we're pointing out. It's not a fair thing like you're trying to point out. They're targeting him.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Thats so BS, guess how I found out about 9/11....Stern dedicates at least 1 hour to the news, so I dont see how its not considered infotainment.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ripclawe said:

Rip you've lost your f'n mine if that's the excuse you are using... BTW get back to me when Janet Jackson(boob), Oprah(various sex talk) and Ryan (f bomb) get fined.

3rdman

In Miami, the Clear Channel station that dropped Howard went from an 8 share to a .7 in his time slot.

If you understand Neilson ratings, you'd understand just how big a drop that is...Clear Channel has turned that station into a revolving door of talent finding ways of raising their ratings. Dumbasses.

dem

Isnt the Howard Stern show actually considered a NEWS show? Isnt that how they got to interview Arnold?

Diablos said:
I wish I had finished school in Pittsburgh. :( My parents moved me to Texas, and now I'm a mess.

Ripclawe said:

This goes far beyond a business decision, you have no idea what you're talking about...talking out of your ass like usual.

If it was a business decision, Howard would have been paid by Clear Channel for breaking his contract. Have they paid him? NO. They have refused to pay him, despite breaking it. This is not fucking business decision, it's far more than that. It's scary that the government feels they can do whatever they want when it comes to our rights as individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom