• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammex

Hey Lucas Pope, if you happen to be casually reading gaf, please make me a VR version of Papers Please.

(Glory to Arstotzka)

IMACOMPUTA

I wish they had a better way to extend from PC to headset, so you could go to a different room or mount the cable overhead to avoid stepping on it.

HDMI can be pretty long, but USB3 can only be about 10 ft unless you get a super expensive active cable (30ft = $150).

say what?

velios

Neo Member
wow ... late shipping notifications - got mine at 00:09, eta 8th end of day. more reports like that on reddit. (austria, paypal)

CfZChuTUYAEg6sG.jpg:orig

Yasssss

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Damnit, PayPal, do your stupid 2 small deposits so I can confirm my bank account and order the Vive. :mad:

Finally got to play Hover Junkers. My feet hurt now from all the flexing and dodging. But it feels so good. This a perfect game. The whole concept, from the feel of the guns and the shooting, to the way you re-load the gun and to the way you move your vehicle around builds together some really great gameplay. I got my ass kicked badly in the last round, but what a joy it has been. Now I got some decent stuff on my ship, I hope I get to keep them next time I jump in.

This and Space Pirate Trainer are my highlights of the first day in terms of pure games. Strong games.

Did you play audio shield yet? Also thanks for the updates!

kinggroin

Banned

jaypah

It's great seeing people get their packages. Those boxes are slick!

Edit: Being from the South of USA I've only ever heard fruitcake used as a slur for homosexuals.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did you play audio shield yet? Also thanks for the updates!

Yes, but just couple of songs, I mentioned it in my earlier post. It's as fun as it looked in the videos, but I need to find my mp3s from whatever harddrive I stored them when I started using Spotify and Google music. I have a feeling some good metal will go well with it.

Yes, but just couple of songs, I mentioned it in my earlier post. It's as fun as it looked in the videos, but I need to find my mp3s from whatever harddrive I stored them when I started using Spotify and Google music. I have a feeling some good metal will go well with it.

Ok cool thanks again!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Tried calling my local MS store but they didn't pick up so I got transferred to a national center I'm guessing. They wouldn't pick up for them, either. I'll have to drive there, oh well.

viveks86

Just finished cabling and installation. Went ahead and drilled holes into the walls so that I'd never have to worry about it. I'm surprise how the length of each cable was almost exactly the length I needed for my setup. Will start software setup in an hour.

Sounds great. Personally I'm already happy with how the Steam controller feels outside of the shoulder button resistance.

The trackpad click on the steam controller is kinda garbage as well. It needs so much force that the click results in the thumb position shifting a few pixels if you use it as a mouse. It feels perfect on these. Even the sound of the click feels better.

jaypah

Im from the south as well. Fruitcakes are also cakes. As the word would imply. =p

Lol, true that. I meant when calling someone the word fruitcake. Yes, I've dodged the actual food plenty of times. Also I have heard "nutty as a fruitcake" in old movies but I was strictly talking about hearing an actual person calling another person a fruitcake. It was always with malicious intent toward a homosexual person.

kinggroin

Banned
Just finished cabling and installation. Went ahead and drilled holes into the walls so that I'd never have to worry about it. I'm surprise how the length of each cable was almost exactly the length I needed for my setup. Will start software setup in an hour.

The trackpad click on the steam controller is kinda garbage as well. It needs so much force that the click results in the thumb position shifting a few pixels if you use it as a mouse. It feels perfect on these. Even the sound of the click feels better.

interesting. Never had issues with clicking in the touch pads on the steam controller. But I'm like, crazy strong too, so.

Lol, true that. I meant when calling someone the word fruitcake. Yes, I've dodged the actual food plenty of times. Also I have heard "nutty as a fruitcake" in old movies but I was strictly talking about hearing an actual person calling another person a fruitcake. It was always with malicious intent toward a homosexual person.

Thanks for the confirmation. Was beginning to feel like the other definition of the term.

viveks86

interesting. Never had issues with clicking in the touch pads on the steam controller. But I'm like, crazy strong too, so.

Oh I have no trouble clicking them either, but I can't configure them as mouse clicks and use the trackpad as a mouse. The mouse always moved just a little bit when the click happens that it is never pixel perfect. Windows thinks I'm clicking and dragging the mouse, instead of just clicking. It happens because I set the mouse sensitivity super high. I'm one of those guys that plays with mouse sensitivity at 80% or higher :D

Tried calling my local MS store but they didn't pick up so I got transferred to a national center I'm guessing. They wouldn't pick up for them, either. I'll have to drive there, oh well.
I just went there, I couldn't put a preorder or reserve but they took my name and number for when they get them. They seemed pretty knowledgeable so here's too hoping

My first couple hours have been amaaazing. Bonked a Vive controller on my ceiling fan, and then later on my actual ceiling. TheBlu is a great way to show the headset off, but I still don't think $10 is a good price.

Compsiox

Banned
I got sucked into my Vive and I was sent to the future.

In 5 years every PC in every home will have a 970 or the equivalent.

Compsiox

Banned
My first couple hours have been amaaazing. Bonked a Vive controller on my ceiling fan, and then later on my actual ceiling. TheBlu is a great way to show the headset off, but I still don't think $10 is a good price.

Good to hear! Don't forget AltspaceVR among the mountain of glorious games!

IMACOMPUTA

which is how long?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I just went there, I couldn't put a preorder or reserve but they took my name and number for when they get them. They seemed pretty knowledgeable so here's too hoping

I might just go ahead and drive over. I have time to kill, anyway. Might as well find out.

taoofjord

Well, GAF, I'm legit annoyed with HTC now. I was told it would arrive by the fifth, then told it would ship the fifth, then told it would ship in April, then told it would ship by the 6th. Now I've been told that it will ship this week. The customer service appears to be straight up lying to get you off the phone, word is that they have no idea because they're not authorized to access shipping information and are just telling you the same thing that they've been told to say to everyone else.

The lying and the lack of high level communication is total bullshit and I'll be demanding a shipping refund on Monday if it hasn't shipped by then. Who knows if they'll honor it but I've got to try.

YuShtink

Well, GAF, I'm legit annoyed with HTC now. I was told it would arrive by the fifth, then told it would ship the fifth, then told it would ship in April, then told it would ship by the 6th. Now I've been told that it will ship this week. The customer service appears to be straight up lying to get you off the phone, word is that they have no idea because they're not authorized to access shipping information and are just telling you the same thing that they've been told to say to everyone else.

The lying and the lack of high level communication is total bullshit and I'll be demanding a shipping refund on Monday if it hasn't shipped by then. Who knows if they'll honor it but I've got to try.

Yea they've been jerking us around for a week now. It's pathetic.

Yea they've been jerking us around for a week now. It's pathetic.

I wish they'd just update us as to what is going on...

Bsigg12

They don't know and they flat out won't say they don't know and it's really pissing me off. There hasn't been a single straight answer for me, just always "soon". I'm waiting to give them $800 and they can't be honest with me, it's shit.

taoofjord

I wish they'd just update us as to what is going on...

I just don't understand why it's so hard for a company to reach out when there's a problem. This kind of thing happens all the time, not just with these two recent VR launches.

I get that PR is really difficult and sucks but at least just say, "there's a slight delay/problem, limited quantities will be shipped over the next few days while we straighten things out. We'll update you with more information when we have it." Then just give a brief "we're still straightening things out, we promise to give you an update whe we have one" every other day until they fix it or identify a solution.

kinn

Im very interested in VR but didnt have a desire to be an early adopter....Now my finger is hovering over the buy button.

How are normal games like when played through the vive? Games like GTA 5, Fallout 4 etc. They play in 2d?

Shit, I'm tempted to drive to the MS store in Altamonte, but it's a bit of a drive. It'd suck to go all the way down there and not be able to reserve one. I didn't order until yesterday, so I'm sure it won't be for a long time before they ship mine.

Now I have set up my gaming room, my play space will be 11x8 feet. I think I should be fine with that space.

Hurry up May. I only ordered it today, hopefully it's not longer.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Has anyone come across any cheap speaker stands, around 3-5' tall? Thinking about the lighthouse setup in my room I have a desk and a windowsill I can place them on but I need short stands to raise them above body height.

Figure someone on GAF has done research on shelving options.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Im very interested in VR but didnt have a desire to be an early adopter....Now my finger is hovering over the buy button.

How are normal games like when played through the vive? Games like GTA 5, Fallout 4 etc. They play in 2d?

Games that aren't made with VR support can be played in a virtual environment (think like a personal theater or outer-space even) OR 3rd party injectors can be used to play some games in actual VR. At this point the injectors have not been updated to work with Vive, The creator of Vorpx claims he will be adding support when he gets his Vive but who knows.

GTAV was great on the DK2 with Vorpx.

At this time, I would not really buy on the promise of being able to play your old games in full VR.

Has anyone come across any cheap speaker stands, around 3-5' tall? Thinking about the lighthouse setup in my room I have a desk and a windowsill I can place them on but I need short stands to raise them above body height.

I'm looking for some now so I can try and avoid drilling into my rented properties walls. I want some that will reach the ceiling though which is just over 7 feet tall.

Plasmid

I'm looking for some now so I can try and avoid drilling into my rented properties walls. I want some that will reach the ceiling though which is just over 7 feet tall.

Im planning on buying these, saw them mentioned on reddit a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8SLI8U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012FTXOW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom