• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei states their smartphone is superior to Nintendo Switch

So Huawei — a Chinese smartphone manufacturer — recently revealed their newest model phone, called the Huawei Mate 20 X. And while that name sounds like a Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater trick, the company decided to compare the phone not to nor actual competitors Apple and Samsung, but instead to the Nintendo Switch. Which, uh, isn’t a smartphone.

Huawei-Mate-20-X-NintendoSwitch-Compare-3-768x399.jpg

On the one hand, the company did make some comparisons that had a certain thread of logic to them. The Mate 20 X has an attachable Gamepad similar to Joy-Con, the battery lasts longer than the Switch’s, and the screen is also larger and at a better resolution (though if you ask me that’s way too flippin’ big to be a proper phone). But at the same time, the Switch isn’t engineered to make calls, and the Mate 20 X isn’t gonna be playing Super Mario Odyssey anytime soon. It’s comparing apples to oranges, except the apples have GPS and gacha games, while the oranges can play Super Smash Bros. with a bunch of your friends.

Dumb Comparison?

Source

a00fa35246634c55681baa519121780d.jpg

c747cd69357d3114c42bc26155e31ad1.jpg

ec3d5552e8a3257efc99153aa06db7fd.jpg

Last edited:
Dumb comparison, but that's still some cool tech. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one, flashing it with an open OS, and installing a heck-ton of emulators and roms to make a fun portable system.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Geki-D

Banned
$999?
I don't think so.
Average high end phone price, and in a year the next one will be out at the same price. Granted the Switch is way cheaper, but I doubt price was one of the things they were comparing, conveniently.

Besides rez & battery, does this phone actually have anything else that's better than the Switch? i'm guessing the actual hardware is less capable at least for gaming?

No Mario Kart < Mario Kart
Well, I can play Mario Kart on my phone right now, though it's not the latest one.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Dumb comparison:
  • Games are never that low-level optimized due to overhead
  • Did i say overhead? Because overhead
  • This is the same overzealous marketing shtick as their GPU Turbo talk.
It's a dumb comparison, but that Switch is garbage tech-wise.
Please elaborate. As compared to what really? The Tegra X1 is still one of the better performing SoC's - And its 3 years old by now, which is rather telling. For an ARM SoC, its featureset is still perfectly adequate, GPU wise equivalent to a Geforce 920MX.

Huawei makes some pretty ambitious stuff, but it keeps missing the mark by a few inches with their products, looks like that hasn't changed here. Anyone wanting a more serious gaming phone for whatever reason will likely go for the new Razer phone or the Asus ROG phone over this considering the price.

mitchman

Gold Member
This new phone is still the best camera phone on the market after the Huawei P20 Pro now. Huawei is no longer a small timer, only Samsung sell more phones in the world now. They passed Apple this year. Going after a market they do not have anything, gaming, makes sense I guess.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Huawei makes some pretty ambitious stuff, but it keeps missing the mark by a few inches with their products, looks like that hasn't changed here. Anyone wanting a more serious gaming phone for whatever reason will likely go for the new Razer phone or the Asus ROG phone over this considering the price.
They do make badass products that doesn't cost a fortune, though. For instance, I was in the market for new gear this year. Best camera phone: Huawei P20 Pro. Best laptop: Huawei Matebook X Pro. And they threw in their top of the line tablet with the laptop. They hadn't been on the radar for me until this summer.

So Huawei — a Chinese smartphone manufacturer — recently revealed their newest model phone, called the Huawei Mate 20 X. And while that name sounds like a Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater trick, the company decided to compare the phone not to nor actual competitors Apple and Samsung, but instead to the Nintendo Switch. Which, uh, isn’t a smartphone.

On the one hand, the company did make some comparisons that had a certain thread of logic to them. The Mate 20 X has an attachable Gamepad similar to Joy-Con, the battery lasts longer than the Switch’s, and the screen is also larger and at a better resolution (though if you ask me that’s way too flippin’ big to be a proper phone). But at the same time, the Switch isn’t engineered to make calls, and the Mate 20 X isn’t gonna be playing Super Mario Odyssey anytime soon. It’s comparing apples to oranges, except the apples have GPS and gacha games, while the oranges can play Super Smash Bros. with a bunch of your friends.

It doesn't matter - the most powerfull phone hardware means nothing because any form of controller is optional in Android market and that means huge majority of games are made with touchscreen in mind. While with Switch/vita/PSP/3DS etc. developers knew all of their audience has access to same controls.

So there will be a lot of really pretty games - that play like crap because they can't be controlled properly.

Jubenhimer

Not at $900 with half a controller. It may have better specs than the Switch, but the Switch is actually a much better designed and more affordable device with a better library. Saying your system has 500 omniflops and unlimited ram pumped into it means nothing if it's expensive as hell and lacks a compelling lineup. And people wonder why Nintendo dominates the dedicated mobile gaming space, their competitors continue to not learn their lesson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this the company that was caught suspected of embedding spying tools for the Chinese government into the devices they ship to the US? This has an oddly chinpokomon vibe to it.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Isn't this the company that was caught embedding spying tools for the Chinese government into the devices they ship to the US? This has an oddly chinpokomon vibe to it.

Not really, no. Link? In the UK, their phones are vetted by the GCHQ for government use.

cryptoadam

Banned
Why compare 700+ cell phones with a 299 switch? I mean when phone are costing 700/800/1000+ they better be better than a F'n Switch. Like my Note 9 is probably better than my 3 year old desktop I paid 399 for.

Now show me some android phone for 299 with controller included that is better than the switch and we are talking.

Javthusiast

Banned
It might very well be from a battery life and overall technical standpoint, but guess what? It doesn‘t have the nintendo games. And looking at the price, I‘d rather buy a switch and a gaming pc, lmao.

Last edited:

Fbh

I mean yeah, the Switch uses portable hardware and it's only logical that a newer portable device that costs over 3 times as much is going to have nicer features. At that price it would be embarrassing if it didn't have better resolution and battery life than the Switch.

Ultimately though, it comes down to the games and that's where the comparison fall apart

TLZ

Banned
Your logic about not having Mario on is weird OP. If their intention is to compare 2 portable devices that can play games then why not? See what each can achieve with the specs they offer.

The actual kicker here is the price.

Dontero

Banned
I wonder how many people know that you can just connect PS4/Xbox pad to Android phone and use it without issues.

Since i got p9lite it became my portable console thanks to emulators and streaming via LTE from my PC.
Unlike traditional portables my hands don't cramp due to use of normal pad.

Just recently while traveling via train to work and back (about 2h daily together) i finished DQ11 over past 2 weeks just by playing it on my phone + ds4 pad.

$300 vs. $900

/thread

edit: for that price, you can get a switch, an xbox one x, and still have 100 dollars left.

Last edited:

Iaterain

No Mario Kart < Mario Kart

I'm personally not interested in this smartphone and mobile gaming in general, but for that price you are getting a lot:
  • a good phone;
  • powerful tech;
  • photo/video camera;
  • high res screen;
  • thousands of apps;
  • browser;
  • longer battery life;
  • button controls;
  • Mario Run/Mario Kart/Animal Crossing/Pokemon Go/PUBG/Fortnite...
It is a great news for us that another competitor entered to mobile market with a good portable device. I just hope that Apple and Samsung would notice it ^_^

danielberg

Neophyte
Even if you ignore the price difference..A big draw maybe the biggest on any nintendo platform are the exclusives.

Larogue

Huawei's phone is 7nm with the fastest andriod SoC, Kirin 980. Its simply miles ahead. I think I'd compare switch to a two years old samsung flagship. And price wise the $299 POCCO F1 blows it out of the water.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Average high end phone price, and in a year the next one will be out at the same price. Granted the Switch is way cheaper, but I doubt price was one of the things they were comparing, conveniently.
Yeah but who is this marketed for? I know kids are spoiled nowadays but not $999 spoiled.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well if they fixed the fucking lag with android emulators. bluetooth etc
and it runs gamecube wii games and 3ds games.

why the fuck not . 1k for a non apple device lolololol

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
1k phone that can't play any good games with malware/spyware built in to the hardware

lol fuck off Huawei

manfestival

I mean it is technically speaking but that doesn't matter cause PC gaming has always been technically superior to console gaming. People don't buy consoles to be the superior ones tech wise. So... basically fake news

thief183

Well, btw is beast of a phone....and the underscreen fingerprint reader is a Godsend....but 999.....well I pass.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it can't play Super Mario Odyssey so really how can it be superior? a full feature Switch emulator is years away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom