• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hype Check] SILENT HILL 2

Hype Check

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MiguelItUp

I was beyond pessimistic at first and even after time. But over the last few months, I've definitely changed my tune a bit. Still reserved, still cautious. It's honestly looking better and better. It's not a matter of will it be better than the original, it likely won't be, like all remakes. But it could still be a solid experience, and that's what I'm hoping for. Originally I was thinking that wasn't happening at all, Bloober lol and all. But, it's definitely looked a bit more positive.

I'm honestly hoping it's decent, if not more so. It'd be a real shame if it released and was absolute ass.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm actually gonna give them chance, my biggest gripe is with the Maria redesign but other than that I like what I've seen.
I'm hoping they add in the original costume with DLC.
anyone know if Born from a Wish is included?

simpatico

Day 2 if impressions are good enough. A candidate for sure. Zero dollars until I read some impressions from gamers, not reviewers.

Last edited:
Silent hill along with something like mgs, thief, deus ex, splinter cell, civ, fire emblem, are all in my short list for day 1 buys.

Or any ports /remasters of past games. I just wish there was a way to play sh1, s3, sh4, shattered memories in modern hardware. I own homecoming and downpour on both ps3 and xbsx, but don't know why the rest aren't on xb bc.

Been hyped for this remake. Don't know why people were bashing it outside of 1 cut of Angela. She looked OK from different angles. Hopefully that's the only character that is bored. I can live with that as long as the game isn't a woke fest. I usually wait but this is on my inject my veins list.

Arachnid

Day 1, but also LOL Bloober Team.

Playing it mostly out of curiosity and hoping it's at least somewhat good. It'll never fully replace the original.
This is me too. I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best just because they have some of the old team involved. Thank fuck or Ito and Akira, especially. Akira has already killed it on some of the new pieces in the soundtrack, and I can't wait to see what years of experience have bought him. I'm also super excited for Ito's true vision in monster design realized (SH2 OG wasn't able to really get there thanks to the hardware at the time, according to Ito). Ito's new monster designs are also going to be god tier.

I may have hated every Bloober game I've played with a passion, but this is SH2. I'll give them one more chance before hoping back on the Bloober hate train.

Silent hill along with something like mgs, thief, deus ex, splinter cell, civ, fire emblem, are all in my short list for day 1 buys.
We may be the same person with a split personality signing into multiple accounts tbh

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

Yes!!!! Famitsu review!

・The sense of realism and creepiness brought by the beautiful visuals and sound is incredible

・The Japanese dubbing is comfortable and makes you concentrate on the game, which is actually a joy

・Evasion makes the battles more fun and you'll be absorbed in defeating enemies one by one

・The character details and the revamped puzzle solving make it more mentally taxing

・As this is a work from over 20 years ago, there are many scenes that feel like flag setting, but thanks to the overwhelming realism and stress-free play feel, you hardly notice it

・The unique atmosphere is simply amazing

・It takes 16 to 18 hours to clear the first time

・You'll want to go on because you're curious to see something scary

・A great remake, the original and the additional elements are well balanced, so it can be enjoyed by both experienced and inexperienced players
w6yxgr9wbcsd1.jpeg

Last edited:

Kurotri

I've never played a Silent Hill before. I'm also not really a horror guy. I'm a pussy, you see.
However, I love psychological stuff, even with horror attached. I've seen and heard so many things about how SH2 handles this aspect and was always super curious. I see this as a perfect opportunity to jump in. Not day 1, but I'll get around it. Hopefully with clean pants.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Or any ports /remasters of past games. I just wish there was a way to play sh1, s3, sh4, shattered memories in modern hardware. I own homecoming and downpour on both ps3 and xbsx, but don't know why the rest aren't on xb bc.

Been hyped for this remake. Don't know why people were bashing it outside of 1 cut of Angela. She looked OK from different angles. Hopefully that's the only character that is bored. I can live with that as long as the game isn't a woke fest. I usually wait but this is on my inject my veins list.

You can play the HD collection on Xbox. 3 is alright. 2 is one of the worst remasters but still playable.

Flabagast

I'm waiting for reviews/impressions to be honest.

Don't trust Bloober, all of their previous works are riddled with issues.
We don't care, we want to support the IP's revival and demonstrate to publishers that AAA horror games are sustainable. The quality of the game is barely part of the equation.

Zacfoldor

I'm in the "Team Bloober got serious" camp. Also I think Konami sent down a "don't change much, just better graphics" dictate based on Delta footage, so I think these classics will be well preserved. I think it's gonna be pretty good, mildly soulless good graphics, 8.7/10 meta. So hyped for finally a return to Silent Hill.

Last edited:
I bought it.

It looked good enough from the latest vids and I just have to own it, because I played the original 23 years ago and it meant a lot to me back then. So even if it sucks, I need to see it :)

Bloobs

I'm in the "Team Bloober got serious" camp. Also I think Konami sent down a "don't change much, just better graphics" dictate based on Delta footage, so I think these classics will be well preserved. I think it's gonna be pretty good, mildly soulless good graphics, 8.7/10 meta. So hyped for finally a return to Silent Hill.

Its the other way around, Bloober wanted it to be real faithful while Konami wanted more change.

sudolicious

Honestly, from a consumer pov I don't see the point of this remake. Silent Hill 1 would probably get me excited, since that one could actually really benefit from a remake, but this one? Reminds me very much of the Demon's Souls remake. Sure the visual fidelity improved, yes, but I don't know whether the actual experience improved alongside, considering all the other changes that had to be made.

Like SH2 is basically "fine" from a gameplay pov (the gameplay being shit, but that also being the point), the graphics are fine. Making the gameplay "more exciting" isn't really what I'm looking for from a Silent Hill, changing the voice acting or the music will almost surely fail to land in at least some places.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Honestly, from a consumer pov I don't see the point of this remake. Silent Hill 1 would probably get me excited, since that one could actually really benefit from a remake, but this one? Reminds me very much of the Demon's Souls remake. Sure the visual fidelity improved, yes, but I don't know whether the actual experience improved alongside, considering all the other changes that had to be made.

Like SH2 is basically "fine" from a gameplay pov (the gameplay being shit, but that also being the point), the graphics are fine. Making the gameplay "more exciting" isn't really what I'm looking for from a Silent Hill, changing the voice acting or the music will almost surely fail to land in at least some places.
I'm sure they did it primarily because it's more of a stand alone rather than connected in anyway. If they did SH1, it would only make sense to do SH3.

Makes me wonder if they did it to test the waters and see how everything goes.

I know remake fatigue and all that, but I'd love to see SH1 get the same treatment. Hell and 3. Just give the original trilogy a proper updo while still delivering original games, which appears to be their plan.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm waiting for reviews/impressions to be honest.

Don't trust Bloober, all of their previous works are riddled with issues.

The thing with Bloober is that they actually have excellent artists so their games have always brilliant art-direction AND atmosphere but...when it comes to their technical expertise (game performance , character models etc) they're a fucking mess to the point that makes you think if the whole thing was coded by interns, awful, awful amateurish stuff.

Having said that, I've found Blair witch, Observer AND the Medium incredibly engaging and atmospheric.

PS: the character models in the SH2 remake look bloody amateurish

Last edited:

Arachnid

First review is out. Famitsu gave it a 35/40.

Some of the language in the translated page is concerning, but I don't know if it's translated well. Some of it is described as "stress-free" and that combat is fun so it allows you to concentrate on defeating all the enemies throughout the game "without feeling uncomfortable". Overall though, pretty glowing.

Last edited:

Bloobs

First review is out. Famitsu gave it a 35/40.

Some of the language in the translated page is concerning, but I don't know if it's translated well. Some of it is described as "stress-free" and that combat is fun so it allows you to concentrate on defeating all the enemies throughout the game "without feeling uncomfortable". Overall though, pretty glowing.

GOTY

Badlucktroll Badlucktroll RagnarokIV RagnarokIV

Deerock71

I have played multiple Bloober games and never walked away impressed or entertained. I hope I’m wrong and they knock it out of the park because SH2 is an all time classic but I’m not confident it will be good. DB sparking zero will get my money day 1.
This. Exactly. They can't even make a smooth running game on the Switch.

peronmls

Actually looks like Bloober team is taking this fairly seriously, it looks pretty impressive to me and i love the OG (still have my PS2 copy)

Because we need more monsters bursting out of the ceiling as a boss gimmick. and other spider boss? A game cliche at this point.

Last edited:

GudOlRub

69$
Lmao, yeah I love horror games but I ain't spending that kind of money on this game unless the reviews are absolutely stellar.
Alan Wake 2 cost me 50$ and so far it looks like a superior game in every way.

And the original SH2 still holds up well with the Enhanced Edition project so I'd honestly prefer new entries in the franchise.

nikos

I think I briefly tried these back in the day but they were never my types of games.

I have no hype for this but I might actually pick it up if the PC port is good (ultrawide, etc) because "spooky szn."

This appeals to me way more than something like Resident Evil because I've never liked zombies.

Top Bottom