• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyped (And Positivelly Received) Games that Didn't Deliver for YOU

Sol1dus

A little ground rules.

First this isn't a shit on other people's taste thread.
Second, these are games that you had been hearing about for a long time and felt overwhelming to you.
Third, don't just post the names of some games and move on. If you want to keep the conversation moving please state why it is that said games underwhelmed you.

For me these are some of the games that I kept hearing about and when I finally decided to give in and play them...I was underwhelmed.

I am in no way saying these games suck, just that they did not deliver for me. In no particular order;

Max Payne 3

Max-Payne-3-003.jpg

Having played the Max Payne games on PS2 when I was younger, I wasn't even excited about this game when it was announced. It was my uncle as well as my roommate that got my hyped for this. I still waited a year after it was released to play it but I only got through an hour or so of gameplay. I felt like the game kept disrupting me every 5 seconds and it got really tedious. The story didn't interest me and I got really bored of it. I admit I may have not given the game the chance it deserves but I was so tired of what I played that I do not plan to return to it anytime soon. While it was other people that hyped it up to me, I think the fact that I was so excited to relive the days of the PS2 games that deterred me from enjoying the game.

Hot Shots Golf Vita

This game gets tossed around Vita-Gaf a lot. I innitially avoided it for a while because I'm not that big on golf (though I do play it sometimes). Thing is, Vita owners kept recommending it left and right, saying it was the best thing since sliced bread. The repetitious praise finally got to me and I started watching videos until I succumbed and bought the game after weeks of thinking about it. When I finally played it I was so disappointed I got kind of sad about it. The game requires a lot of skill and practice which is nothing bad. The problem is I went in with the expectation that I could have some fun and then as I got better, the game would get more challenging- keeping me interested as time passed. What I got was a kick to the face for sucking. This is fine, I've played games like the original Megaman and Demon Souls and I understand that there are hard games alongside not so challenging games. Thing is, I didn't want to put up with a game that legitimately wasted my time for a little mistake. Playing a tournament and messing up pretty much meant that you wasted the 15-20 minutes or so that you spent trying to beat it. The fact that I had to put up with such a frustrating experience really turned me off, especially since it was just a golf game and not an aRPG or platformer. Needless to say, I returned the game and never looked back.

Fallout 3

This is a tricky one because while at first it was VERY underwhelming, I was enjoyed the game more after I had played it for a couple dozen hours.

Coming into this game I had never played a Bethesda game before. No Elder Scrolls, nothing. I didn't even know what the game was going to be like until my friend bought it for me as a gift. He had been hyping it up to me for a couple of weeks and I got pretty excited. While I ultimately put a hundred or so hours into, I was pretty underwhelmed by it. The way my friend had described it made it seem like there would be random things happening around the wasteland, you could play the game in 3rd person and in 1st person and the story was amazing.

Yes you can play in 3rd person but its really really not good. The wasteland was barren(as it should have been) but my friends had been saying it would be a little more fun that it was at times. And finally, the story. I thought the story was pretty mediocre at times. It wasn't until I sat down and said OK TIME TO FINISH THIS, that I really paid attention to it. It just seems like a complete afterthought. (I also didn't like the VAT system until I was pretty much done with the game).

When I first played the game it felt like it was incomplete. My ps3 crashed a couple of times and the 3rd person made it seem like it was $10 downloadable game.

I will say one thing however, I really wish I had gone into the game with a different mindset. You only get to play something for the first time once and this is the game I wish I could do over. Perhaps doing a little more research, and less hype I could have been less underwhelmed. Fallout 3 did help me enjoy Skyrim though. Had I not played Fallout 3 I think I would have been posting this for Skyrim instead. Knowing what I was getting into however, helped me put things into perspective.

Grand Theft Auto 4

The only Grand Theft Auto game I had played extensively had been Vice City. Two years after getting the PS3, I finally decided to try it out since my friend would not shut up about it. To his dismay, I completely hated it. The thing that killed this game the most for me was the over-hype. It got praise left and right and it was still classified as the best game bar Ocarina of Time at the time. I hated the control mechanics so much that to this day my roommate and I get in arguments about it. I find this funny because the controls are basically the same in Red Dead Redemption(one of my favorite games this gen) but they don't bother me nearly as much as they do in GTA4. With all of this said, I've started to get cautiously excited about GTA5 especially since they have stated that they have fine-tuned the controls for that game.
--------

Alright, now that I got that out of my chest. What are some games that completely underwhelmed you after hearing your friends hype them up to you even after they were released?

Top Bottom