• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought an Xbox today...

consoles.jpg

I decided there's never been a better time to own an Xbox. There are plenty of awesome games out on the thing, it has a hard drive (which should be the defacto-standard in consoles from now on IMO - even if its only small), has ethernet built in, and Xbox Live is cool AND I have broadband.

What I got credit towards it for:

I decided to trade my platinum GBA SP in, and 5 Gamecube games in towards the purchase. I traded Red Card Soccer, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, True Crime: Streets of LA, Starfox Adventures, and Serious Sam: Next encounter.

I still have a NES GBA SP, and I'll be picking up an old wideboy advance soon for cheap and throwing an afterburner in it so I can still play Four Swords Adventures on cube. I was sorry to let the GBA go in hindsight.

What it got me:

Crystal Xbox + S controller
Chronicles of Riddick
Halo

Prime observations

* The thing really is as heavy as all the jokes say. My mother refused to walk it from the building we work in to the car when my dad was taking her home early.
* This thing looks rediculous in terms of size next to the PStwo, and it looks big compared to Gamecube.... but damn, the crystal machine is hot. Silver on the top. The crystal pad is nice too, I love seeing the rumble motors go off.
* I remember the one thing I loved most about the Xbox having played it in other peoples' houses was the hard drive / music facility. This is still the case.
* I really like the bios/dashboard thing
* When I was buying it I thought of the Agent Smith "inevitable" pictures people post here.

Few impressions and questions:

I have heard nothing but godly things about Halo. I won't pretend that some part of the sequels hype did not help me decide to buy this machine... along with it being a machine I can mod, it was one of the major factors. I expected to be blown away by Halo...
now bare in mind I've only been home from work a few hours. I've played through the evacuation of the ship, and helped rescue survivors on the surface with the warthog. I've just done the level with the sniper rifle where you end up taking reinforcements onto the elevator to rescue the general bloke from the covenant... and then I decided to give Riddick a whirl.

Is this one of those games that I will slowly become engrossed in and enjoy much later? The story hasn't really sat well with me yet, and understandably I guess. I've not played it long. I'd just like to know in realistic terms, so I'm not disappointed, how good this gets.

Riddick on the otherhand has impressed me straight away. I'd heard good things about it, but not being a huge fan of the films or film-liscences in general (I don't hate them or anything) I wasn't expecting much. However, the graphics are awesome. The voicework team they've assembled is great (I like the choices of Xzibit and the bad guy from 24 season 3). The early parts and interaction remind me a lot of the beginning of a Half Life game or something. The fighting is brutal, I love the close up hectic camera work during fights. It's truly brutal. The conversations people have and the internal politics of the prison have been awesome so far, and made playing it very enjoyable indeed. I've just broken away from it now because my eyes are hurting from all the death they've been exposed to...

that and all the strain sitting at a computer 8 hours a day puts on them.

So that's that. I'm officially a multi-console owner!

Thom

Master Z

Good for you. Welcome to the utopia that is multi-console gaming. Screw these fanboys who only stick to one console. :p

belgurdo

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
* The thing really is as heavy as all the jokes say. My mother refused to walk it from the building we work in to the car when my dad was taking her home early.

Your mother must be really weak or something if she can't carry eight pounds of electronics. And it's barely heavier than a PS2 (which is about six pounds, and equal weight with a hard drive in it)

Master Z said:
Good for you. Welcome to the utopia that is multi-console gaming. Screw these fanboys who only stick to one console. :p

Iawtp. (why is my surf speed halved on Firefox) :( Just installed it.

Solid

Congrats!

I'm very happy with my Platinum GC, Satin Silver PS2 and Crystal Xbox :D

I currently own:

22 PS2 games
12 Xbox games
7 GC games

Multi-console gaming ownz!

COCKLES

being watched
I'll be probably getting the Crystal Halo 2 badboy at the end of the week...presuming it's on sale in the UK...haven't seen any pre-order boxes in Game or anything. :|

Radio...let me make that official for you...

welcome.jpg

xsmith.jpg

pimpblinx.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Available in europe, eh? I hope that means UK/Ireland. I haven't seen anything to suggest these will be available in GAME or other stores. I don't even see it on GAME's website!

Sander - what country are you in?

edit - also, do you know how much the pack is?

snapty00

Banned
I hate that Dark Side shit.

Don't look at it as joining the Dark Side. Look at it as regaining your heterosexuality.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Judging by the site that pack pic is hosted on, it looks like it's a French thing. But then, in that image, the text on the pack is in English. So that's a bit confusing.

The text on the pack in this article is in French: http://www.consoles-games.com/xbox/voir.php?inc=voir_news&num_news=10085

Do Microsoft usually release packs like this for one country only in Europe? I thought all their promos were also Europe-wide. I hope this one is...it only makes sense to have a Halo2 pack imo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Interesting..well, it's not on the Irish Xbox website, but then it's not on the Dutch one either, so I guess there is hope. Fingers crossed itls there on Thursday!

edit - Deepthroat, thanks for the link, but that's "just" the current crystal xbox pack. I'm talking about this Halo 2/Crystal Xbox bundle with two controllers.

Solid

gofreak said:
edit - Deepthroat, thanks for the link, but that's "just" the current crystal xbox pack. I'm talking about this Halo 2/Crystal Xbox bundle with two controllers.
Ah ok. Well the Halo 2 pack is supposed to be out on November 11th. Try hearing with your local EB if they know anything.

Master Z

snapty00 said:
I hate that Dark Side shit.

Don't look at it as joining the Dark Side. Look at it as regaining your heterosexuality.

I look at it like this. The Xbox is like a sexy, black or spanish chick with the BIG booty. The PS2 would be your hot white girl with the tight body. And the Gamecube is that really cute asian chick, the one who's so cute and tiny you swear she's lying about her age.

So yeah, from that perspective I say big ups to radioheadrule83 for getting some of that "brown sugar" :)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That belongs to the off-topic, kind sir.

It is nice to see the thread complete with the participations of cockles and littleburu :p

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Littleberu said:
I bought a fucking book today. OH OH OH. INTERESTING.

first off, I doubt you did.

secondly, the PS2 has handily beat the brains out of everything, don't be a turd. We all love and own it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Master Z said:
I look at it like this. The Xbox is like a sexy, black or spanish chick with the BIG booty. The PS2 would be your hot white girl with the tight body. And the Gamecube is that really cute asian chick, the one who's so cute and tiny you swear she's lying about her age.

Dude that is just creepy.

Socreges

Banned
I suspect I'm going to get an Xbox once Winning Eleven 8 International is confirmed to be Live-enabled. Then I'll get Halo 2.

Socreges said:
I suspect I'm going to get an Xbox once Winning Eleven 8 International is confirmed to be Live-enabled. Then I'll get Halo 2.

Pro Evo 4 online = bliss. My brother is holding out on buying the PS2 version because of the mere hope of this

Musashi Wins! said:
first off, I doubt you did.

secondly, the PS2 has handily beat the brains out of everything, don't be a turd. We all love and own it.

I don't care if you buy a Ps2, a GC, a DC or an Xbox. That's the thing. What do you want me to say? "Hey congrats! You just bought something you might enjoy!" ? Comon.

Top Bottom