• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have seen the light!(Firefox)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSN2K

I was a fool for sticking with IE....

forgive me :(

web pages are loading quicker also what is surprising to me. :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll be switching over in a week after I finish my move and reformat. I have been drowning in pop-ups and adware for the past many months...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Popup blocking is what firefox does best.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Goddamned Lycos Sidesearch has been invincible to my spyware removal...HATE IT!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I switched last week, I got the extensions today
Its awesome now, browsing now is a breeze, compared to a chore on IE.

updates.mozilla.com

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
aoi tsuki said:
Do yourself a favor and get Tabbrowser Extensions:

http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_tabextensions.html.en

Simply one of the most awesome pieces of functional programming i've seen in... possibly ever. Practically every option you could think of is available. i spent almost an hour fiddling with this extension alone, tweaking it to my liking.

The only problem I have with TBE(which is why I recently uninstalled it), is that it seems to slow down Firefox... as you open additional tabs I'm seeing a noticeable hesitation before control is returned to the mouse/cursor.... is there a setting in TBE I can turn on/off to get rid of that hesitation?

If you are not using All In One Gestures you are SO wrong.. Mouse Gestures make browsing SO much easier and faster... Close Tab on Double Click is a small nice useful one as well.

Tabbrowser Extension isn't so sluggish when you use light mode.

Honestly, Mouse Gestures are pretty useless. I've found it much easier to use the 2 side buttons on my mouse to go back/forward.

Diablos

Wow, the amount of "I switched to Firefox" threads in the past few months is quite impressive! We've done good work.

calder

I find TBE to be pokey if I leave TabGroups and all the "undo close tab" features active - especially the "save history of recently closed tabs" one. I find anything to do with saving tabs after closing them will slow it down, and I don't find those options very helpful anyway. Once in a while I close a tab accidentally and would like to be able to reopen the tab and have it go right back to where it was, but it's not often enough to make me put up with the (perceived or real) resource cost.

M3Freak

Banned
I would be more impressed if those that were switching to Firefox actually switched to a Linux distribution as well.

DarienA

Tre said:
Tabbrowser Extension isn't so sluggish when you use light mode.

Honestly, Mouse Gestures are pretty useless. I've found it much easier to use the 2 side buttons on my mouse to go back/forward.

Most people don't have those side buttons on their mouse.. and you can use the rocker feature of Mouse Gestures to cover that... no I'm talking more about the ability to use mouse gestures to open new links in new windows, refresh current pages, etc. Did you ever bother to take the time to look to see all the different gestures?

I'll give TBE a try in light mode this eve if I remember....

Well, I've already got my middle-click set to open a link in a new window. Refreshing, I never do (or at least, not so much that it'd warrant doing more than pressing F5. But yes, this is simply a "for me" type deal. Side buttons are insanely faster. And if I ever really cared, I'd probably see if I could map the side-to-side scroll wheel to refresh or something.

aoi tsuki

DarienA said:
The only problem I have with TBE(which is why I recently uninstalled it), is that it seems to slow down Firefox... as you open additional tabs I'm seeing a noticeable hesitation before control is returned to the mouse/cursor.... is there a setting in TBE I can turn on/off to get rid of that hesitation?

If you are not using All In One Gestures you are SO wrong.. Mouse Gestures make browsing SO much easier and faster... Close Tab on Double Click is a small nice useful one as well.
Light mode (expert mode) runs faster. Basically anything with grouping or caching (including undoing tab close) will slow it down. It's also not as fast at opening previous sessions as Firefox is. You could bookmark all your open tabs in a folder, and open that folder quicker than with TBE. But i love TBE's features, and it's not that chuggy on my box

All In One Gestures has one saving grace -- you can use it to incrimentally view pictures in a directory. There's got to be a direcotry thumbnail viewer extension.

i do have on problem. Extensions won't load on click anymore. i just installed 0.9.2 last night, and i have to save extensions and drag them onto the Extensions window. Is there any fix outside of uninstalling/reinstalling?

calder

Having a 5-button mouse is why I never bothered with mouse gestures either. But I'm stuck with a crappy mouse here at work, so maybe it's time to see if gestures can pick up the slack.

Suerte

I'm still on the darkside, it just seems like too much effort to find and install all these extension things.

DarienA

Suerte said:
I'm still on the darkside, it just seems like too much effort to find and install all these extension things.

...they're all in one place.

bionic77

DarienA said:
...they're all in one place.

Yeah I don't see what is so hard about trying it out. Takes like a minute to download and install, another minute to get whatever extension or theme you want, and you are off with a browser that will make you forget IE.

Mashing

M3Freak said:
I would be more impressed if those that were switching to Firefox actually switched to a Linux distribution as well.

That won't happen until developers start making all their PC games for Linux as well.

DarienA said:

So THATS what is causing "hesitation" all the bloody time. I'll have to switch that off...

Suerte said:

Using the basic bare-bones Firefox is way better then IE just for faster loading pages, zero pop ups and tabbed browsing. The only real extension you might need IMO is the Tab Browser Extensions.

aoi tsuki

M3Freak said:
Switching an OS just for a web browser. Please. And Linux is fine, but i'd switch to OSX before i switched to Linux. At least they have Adobe and Macromedia apps.

Suerte

Well I'm on Firefox just now, seems alright but the amount of extensions you can download is kind of confusing, I think I'll stick with IE :p

Suerte said:
Well I'm on Firefox just now, seems alright but the amount of extensions you can download is kind of confusing, I think I'll stick with IE :p

You know u don't have to use them? Did you not read my post? :p

DarienA

Suerte said:

And here we have a clear example of LOOKING for a reason to not like a product. You don't HAVE to download the extensions you know...

aoi tsuki

+ Popup blocking
+ Less security holes (and when they're discovered, they're remedied faster)

- Slightly slower on launch (explorer.exe is always open...)
- Doesn't work with all sites (probably about >1% of the sites i've viewed)

There are some negatives, but these are *very* minor compared to the positives.

The Google search bar is "extendable" too. Click on the Google icon, and click "Add Engines..." You can add search engines for several other sites, like other search engines and eBay.

As long as you know about Firefox, i'm happy. i can't see why anyone would want to at least *occasionally* use Firefox, if just to escape popups. But if you want to use IE, best of luck with your choice. It's not like i'm trying to "convert the heathens" here.

DarienA

Suerte said:
Meh, without the extensions I don't see why it's better than IE with the google toolbar installed?

:rolleyes

EDIT: Wow aoi I did not know the google search bar was extended.. I just added all the other searches I normally do, Amazon.com DVD, Books, Ebay, us.imdb.com... cooool.

calder

The expanded search engines are one of FF's underappreciated features. The ability to quickly search several torrent sites like suprnova (even IRC, filedonky and newsgroups!) and cool quote/reference sites is awesome. It's so well integrated it installs pretty much instantly and doesn't even require a restart. I just wish there was a way to set a default so it'd switch back to google on browser close or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom