• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Premiere mostly and gaming on the side.

Nvidia it is then. I'll get back to you with a build later. WiFi on this train is a bit ropey.

http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosure-gear_for_gamers/nine-hundred/0-761345-15900-5.aspx

Getting this case. A bit big but meh it's pretty and has a lot of fans. For the overclocking I won't do.

Don't.

Too big, too old. Look towards stuff like the Source 210, Corsair 200R and whatever else is in the OP.

x3sphere

I recently got Arkham Origins on sale and was surprised to find that I couldn't max it out at 1080p on my 4770k and 780Ti - is that correct or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Doesn't seem right to me... it ran 60 FPS 99% of the time for me with 780 SLI, and that was at 2560x1600. With a single Ti at 1080p your performance should be similar to mine, since you're pushing a fraction of the pixels. Unless having a second GPU helps more with PhysX, dunno.

Soi-Fong

Do we have a release date and price for the 780 Ti 6 GB?
Still deciding between that or just the vanilla 780 Ti for when the Oculus DK2 hits July.

LilJoka

I liked the look of over stuff. People recommend this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005869J4O/

But I preferred the look of this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BZNAZGU/

Try this, its only a couple more quid

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011041-WW-Windowed-Performance-Computer/dp/B00FM5JMWA/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1396206661&sr=1-2&keywords=corsair+case
Hers how an Antec 900 can easily end up looking
100_0814.jpg

And the Corsair
513vOJi51lL.jpg

Righty ho I have a couple of random issues, maybe someone here can help?

- I'm getting awful interference noises on my speakers when I click, drag a window, load up a game, etc. Sounds like a high pitched sqeak/whine. It's only vaguely recent and have a feeling it started when I was fiddling with playback settings. I think I was able to have the PC only detect 2 speakers, and have no sound interference, or when i convinced it I had 4 speakers (option had been greyed out for some reason) I then got the interference "whine". Cant for the life of me remember how I persuaded it I have 4 speakers - no option of a driver rollback unfortunately. Was bearable in Witcher 2 but in Batman ao it's unbearable. On board sound, p6tse motherboard which has been well behaved for years.

second my pc no longer resumes from low power sleep mode, possibly since I installed the r9 270 but also had a bios reset so maybe something there. i have played with the bios s1/s3 settings no joy, doing that will appear to be waking the pc - keyboard lights up, screens come out of sleep mode, but they stay black. I have to power cycle the pc, at which point windows boots into its pre-sleep state. Odd. Win 8.1, hybrid sleep enabled.

Would this be a good buy for $900 (and a two hour drive)? It's on Craigslist (and used for approximately 10 months), but I would be able to verify it works before purchasing. It looks great in the photos:

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case - White

Case Lighting: Liquid Neon Thunder Pattern Light - Blue

IBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System - Reduce System Noise

Processor: Intel i7 3930K Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3930K

Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling System [Intel] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 -- 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16

Power Supply: 1350 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower-1350M - Free Upgrade to 1500 Watt Toughpower-1500M ($40 Savings)

1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive: [12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader (and DVD reader/writer)

Flash Media Reader / Writer 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display

Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-bit

Just bought this comp! The guy was extremely nice and met me halfway so it was only an hour drive, and the computer works wonderfully! It seems like a steal for $900. Nice to be at the relative forefront of pc gaming now!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is a question for the HTPC crowd. What do you find is the best way to have audio wirelessly setup for gaming, so as to now disturb the whole house?
I use Sony Pulse Elites, they work and sound great, but some programs like XBMC don't pick them up for some reason...

kharma45

Why have I never heard of this site before. I guess another day I'll wait before I buy my PC. If I can save £50 altogether I'll be happy!

Flubit is pretty great. Used to be better at the start when you could input URLs from other sites but still handy if you want something from Amazon. Savings can be meager at times or can be pretty decent, just depends. I always find it's worth checking to see what they can offer first though before buying.

is an Intel I7 920 D0 still viable for current gaming, bf4 in particular?

Absolutely. D0's should overclock very easily to 4ghz. Slap on a good aftermarket cooler if you don't have one already and you'll be set for all the latest games. Still a very powerful CPU. It holds its own against even the latest Intel processors.

Bleepey

Flubit is pretty great. Used to be better at the start when you could input URLs from other sites but still handy if you want something from Amazon. Savings can be meager at times or can be pretty decent, just depends. I always find it's worth checking to see what they can offer first though before buying.

How long does it take to get am invite processed?

Klyka

Banned
I currently use a Corsair TMX850M as my PSU and it is making electrical sounds and restarts my PC when I play Guild Wars 2 or Planetside 2 on highest graphical settings. It doesn't do that for any other game.

I'd like to get myself a new PSU as I was told the TMX850M is actually quite bad. Can someone recommend me a PSU that has 850watt or more? I need a really good one that can handle my i5 2500k overclock at 4.6ghz, my GTX770 and my 2 SSDs + 1 HDD.

Bii

Just bought this comp! The guy was extremely nice and met me halfway so it was only an hour drive, and the computer works wonderfully! It seems like a steal for $900. Nice to be at the relative forefront of pc gaming now!

Man, that's an excellent deal. Probably the only thing I would change/add is an SSD to the rig and reinstall Windows on there. Enjoy your PC! :D

Bleepey

Sorry for additional motherboard queries but I have a quick question.

Is this the best mobo to get for an i5 4670? I don't plan to overclock, I want 32 GB of ram just to be future proof, I want something that won't fail, I probably won't add any more than a SSD and a regular HDD to it. Is this what I should get

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CYWEZXA/

Man, that's an excellent deal. Probably the only thing I would change/add is an SSD to the rig and reinstall Windows on there. Enjoy your PC! :D

Thanks! I'm super excited, especially since I already have a lot of Steam games that will really benefit from the extra power. I think I'll add an SSD in a month or so.

appaws

Banned

Is this the best mobo to get for an i5 4670? I don't plan to overclock, I want 32 GB of ram just to be future proof, I want something that won't fail, I probably won't add any more than a SSD and a regular HDD to it. Is this what I should get

If this is primarily for gaming, I can't see why you would spend all that money on 32gb of RAM when you are budget constrained. Just go with 8gb, you can always get more later if you need it. Spend that extra money going a step up on the GPU, or on a Z87 board and a K processor, or a bigger SSD...or even a little nicer of a case.

I went with a 120gb SSD and a Corsair 400R on my last build, and I have already moved up to a TB SSD and I am dying to pull the trigger on a $400 Caselabs case. Whenever I skimp, I end up spending more down the road...not far down the road really.

I'm loving my new rig, thanks for suggestions from weeks back.

Current build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Mobo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)
All in this nifty case. I love the top-hdd swap dealie it's got goin'.

I think the next upgrade will be either a new GPU, or a second Radeon HD 6950 and try to SLI them together. Any advice on cards? Is upgrading my card even recommended at the moment?

Bleepey

If this is primarily for gaming, I can't see why you would spend all that money on 32gb of RAM when you are budget constrained. Just go with 8gb, you can always get more later if you need it. Spend that extra money going a step up on the GPU, or on a Z87 board and a K processor, or a bigger SSD...or even a little nicer of a case.

I went with a 120gb SSD and a Corsair 400R on my last build, and I have already moved up to a TB SSD and I am dying to pull the trigger on a $400 Caselabs case. Whenever I skimp, I end up spending more down the road...not far down the road really.

Lol I am only buying 8gb of ram. 2133 MHz if you wanna know. I just want the option to add more ram without buying a new mobo. Hell I am buying a gtx 760 or 670 for £160 rather than £130 for a gtx 660 or £100 for a 750 ti graphics card. I'd spend £200 but I think I'd start to hate myself more than i already do for spending so much when I don't game that much anyway.

LilJoka

Board is fine, there is the mATX version which will save a couple quid:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CYWEYOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1396214791&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

2133Mhz ram has no gains over cl9 1600MHz, your wasting money there.

John Blade

Just went to a computer shop and discuss of computer I want to get. Price goes up quite a bit but find one that will be fine for what I am doing with it. The spec is below

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

LilJoka

Just went to a computer shop and discuss of computer I want to get. Price goes up quite a bit but find one that will be fine for what I am doing with it. The spec is below

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Decent config, unless you plan to get a beefier GPU in the future, then a 450W PSU will work, otherwise the 650W you picked can handle a GTX 780 Ti easily.

Zeus7

My PC is in progress now, I also tried to do some cable management which I think turned out fine. This is the first time so it was a little trial & error. As for the cables, the 770's power cable, is it better to buy another which will look better? I don't think it looks very neat compared to other builds i have seen here, I would quite like a red one to match the motherboard and the RAM (Corsair Vengeance.) Where would I get one of these?

Ed9sdaa.jpg

So I'm in the market to buy a GTX 760, but I'm not sure which one to get. Logical Increments recommends the Gigabyte model, but I see that there is a "super clocked" version that EVGA is selling, is there actually a performance difference there or is it just branding?

Seeing as they are the same price on Amazon right now I wouldn't really be against buying one or the other. Is there any version you guys would recommend over these?

Also do you guys think my Corsair CX430 would have trouble powering this card? I ran my rig through the power calculator Linus suggested to use, and it comes out to only using 380W.

scogoth

My PC is in progress now, I also tried to do some cable management which I think turned out fine. This is the first time so it was a little trial & error. As for the cables, the 770's power cable, is it better to buy another which will look better? I don't think it looks very neat compared to other builds i have seen here, I would quite like a red one to match the motherboard and the RAM (Corsair Vengeance.) Where would I get one of these?

You can buy individually sleeved extension cables from Bitfenix. Or you can order pay for it to be custom done from Psycho Sleeve. Last you can due it yourself which is time consuming hard and costs lots in tools.

scogoth

So I'm in the market to buy a GTX 760, but I'm not sure which one to get. Logical Increments recommends the Gigabyte model, but I see that there is a "super clocked" version that EVGA is selling, is there actually a performance difference there or is it just branding?

Seeing as they are the same price on Amazon right now I wouldn't really be against buying one or the other. Is there any version you guys would recommend over these?

Also do you guys think my Corsair CX430 would have trouble powering this card? I ran my rig through the power calculator Linus suggested to use, and it comes out to only using 380W.

SC just means it comes slightly overclocked and is guaranteed to be a littler better at overclocking then the regular 760. CX430 is fine.

Zeus7

You can buy individually sleeved extension cables from Bitfenix. Or you can order pay for it to be custom done from Psycho Sleeve. Last you can due it yourself which is time consuming hard and costs lots in tools.

Thanks, I will have a look at the bitfenix cables

scogoth

I have the exact same mini tool kit as the one in the upper left.

The handle is crappy ain't it? I have a set of stanley screwdrivers that I will have till I die but its only #0, #00 philips, and three flat head. I bought that one for the torx bits but need to find a good handle.

EDIT: give me your power supply! I need to sleeve it

Pratfall

Returned the ASUS VG248QE and went back to my now functioning Dell 27" ultrasharp panel. Wow, the image quality is so much better but you for sure feel the loss of 120Hz, especially in the smoothness and responsiveness of mouse movement in games. I will continue praying for an IPS gsync panel, I do not care how unlikely it is.

scogoth

Returned the ASUS VG248QE and went back to my now functioning Dell 27" ultrasharp panel. Wow, the image quality is so much better but you for sure feel the loss of 120Hz, especially in the smoothness and responsiveness of mouse movement in games. I will continue praying for an IPS gsync panel, I do not care how unlikely it is.

It will happen eventually, just not anytime soon.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've been having issues with my Playstation 3D monitor (ghosting, glare, remote control conflict with my TV) and just ordered this Asus VX238H. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Returned the ASUS VG248QE and went back to my now functioning Dell 27" ultrasharp panel. Wow, the image quality is so much better but you for sure feel the loss of 120Hz, especially in the smoothness and responsiveness of mouse movement in games.

Don't tell tha to the people who swear anything above 60Hz isn't noticeable. I would love to have better image quality like an Ultrasharp but I can't lose 120Hz.

M3z_

Worst news about the Asus ROG Swift monitor is that it sounds like it will have AG coating. What is wrong with people, why do you like AG coating?!?!?!?

Worst news about the Asus ROG Swift monitor is that it sounds like it will have AG coating. What is wrong with people, why do you like AG coating?!?!?!?
I dunno, maybe they have problems with in-door or outdoor light causing horrific amounts of glare and rendering the screen unusable?

Lizardus

I have GIGABYTE version and I am happy with it. Go for it.

For PSU, I would buy something that's bit more powerful. 500w at least. You don't want to get bottlenecked by your PSU if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom