• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I thought I was finished...turned it on...CPU fan spins for about 5 seconds, then restarts...doesn't sound like anything else is starting up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I thought I was finished...turned it on...CPU fan spins for about 5 seconds, then restarts...doesn't sound like anything else is starting up.

[Help! My PC won't turn on/POST/Boot]
  • Check your manual for beep codes or debug LED display codes
  • Shutoff your PC, switch off the PSU, and unplug the power cable. Wait 10s and hold the power button to drain the remaining power out of the system
  • Check your power is on I and the correct Voltage (120V/240V)
  • Check that you plugged in the extra motherboard power (4 or 8 pin)
  • Reconnect all your cables (Data and Power)
  • Try a single stick of memory in the first RAM slot (read your manual), then try the other
  • Check for any loose screws or bits in the case and behind the motherboard
  • Check that you installed the motherboard standoff screws (Some cases have these pre-installed)
  • Remount the GPU on another PCI-E slot, or try no GPU
  • As a last step assemble the bare minimum outside the case (PSU, CPU, Heatsink, 1 stick of RAM, nothing else)

Istaerion

Cross-posting this from the B/S/T Thread due to the nature of the items I'm looking to offload. I'm not sure if anything has changed since I've last listed something here from that thread, but if so, just let me know and I'll take down this post as soon as possible.

NeoGAF Plus Buyer & Gold Seller

Payment is to be made through one of four options: Amazon Gift Card, PayPal, Simple Instant, or Steam Gift Card.

If applicable, item prices listed below include shipping costs for USPS' Priority Mail Service (2-3 Day) within the United States.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Astro A30 Headset (White) + A30 Headset Case + A30 Mobile Cable — $70 Shipped

• Like New Condition
• Original Accessories & Cables Included

The headset and assorted accessories/cables will be placed inside the case which, in turn, will be placed inside shipment packaging.

SteelSeries Rival Gaming Mouse — $35 Shipped

• Like New Condition
• Original Packaging Included

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Should you have a purchase claim or any questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Anyone still using one of the Playstation 3D 24 incher's for a monitor? Wonder how well they work, can pick one up pretty cheap and Im thinking about it

[Help! My PC won't turn on/POST/Boot]
  • Check your manual for beep codes or debug LED display codes
  • Shutoff your PC, switch off the PSU, and unplug the power cable. Wait 10s and hold the power button to drain the remaining power out of the system
  • Check your power is on I and the correct Voltage (120V/240V)
  • Check that you plugged in the extra motherboard power (4 or 8 pin)
  • Reconnect all your cables (Data and Power)
  • Try a single stick of memory in the first RAM slot (read your manual), then try the other
  • Check for any loose screws or bits in the case and behind the motherboard
  • Check that you installed the motherboard standoff screws (Some cases have these pre-installed)
  • Remount the GPU on another PCI-E slot, or try no GPU
  • As a last step assemble the bare minimum outside the case (PSU, CPU, Heatsink, 1 stick of RAM, nothing else)

Thanks, i don't think my motherboard/case has standoff screws? RVZ01B and gigabtye Z87N-WIFI mini itx. I thought i should hear beeps from the motherboard on boot? i don't hear anything

kennah

Cross-posting this from the B/S/T Thread due to the nature of the items I'm looking to offload. I'm not sure if anything has changed since I've last listed something here from that thread, but if so, just let me know and I'll take down this post as soon as possible.
I wish I could jump on that Rival.

Well this is strange...either RAM stick works in the first slot...if i try to put the second one in, the mobo won't stay on...is it a problem with the motherboard?

maneil99

Well this is strange...either RAM stick works in the first slot...if i try to put the second one in, the mobo won't stay on...is it a problem with the motherboard?

Not sure what Mobo you have but try different channels even if you cannot get it to run dual channel, atleast have your PC running and get an advanced RMA so you don't have any down time

scogoth

Do you *need* an optical drive? Given the small price disparity between the Z87 and H87 ITX boards, you'd be very well served by dropping that and getting a 4670K and Gigabyte Z87N.

You could also cut the price by $100 by going with a different ITX case that can accept a proper PSU. Or even something like the EVGA Hadron Air. That'd reduce the overall price by $40, and has a better PSU.

*edit*

I thought the Hadron Air was a lot bigger than it actually is until I saw it in person. Have been very interested in one ever since. This is the only picture I could find that might give a good reference to that:

Yes it is verrrry small. Pretty much as small as you can get and still be able to build in.

I didn't get to do any glamour shots of the final build but here is its final resting place.
NG4YW4x.jpg

Quick question. If I am swapping my CPU for the exact same one (its stock, no OC nothing) should I reset my bios after I pull it out and plop in another one? Or change anything in windows? Im blanking mentally, thanks all
:)

Is this a good deal? A dude is selling his gaming PC and I'm kinda considering buying it. I'm not really PC gamer so don't know that much about parts.

Core i7 4770k,
16 GB ram,
EVGA GTX 780 SC,
240mm radiator liquid cooled,
128GB SSD
500GB SATA 3 7200rpm HDD
Cooler Master Stryker case

$1350

A pic:

shawnhi

So, what's a good game to test the graphical prowess of my first build? Got an i5 4670k and 2gig R7265X. I downloaded Everquest Landmark since that was one of the main games I wanted to check out (I was a vanilla EQer back in 99) and then suddenly realized I definitely need a new monitor.... so I hooked up my rig to my HD TV in my bedroom and it's fucking awesome. Any cheap-ish games or demos I can check out to wow myself?

maneil99

So, what's a good game to test the graphical prowess of my first build? Got an i5 4670k and 2gig R7265X. I downloaded Everquest Landmark since that was one of the main games I wanted to check out (I was a vanilla EQer back in 99) and then suddenly realized I definitely need a new monitor.... so I hooked up my rig to my HD TV in my bedroom and it's fucking awesome. Any cheap-ish games or demos I can check out to wow myself?

Chivalry is on sale on steam and BF3 is cheap now and still has people playing.

maneil99

Quick question. If I am swapping my CPU for the exact same one (its stock, no OC nothing) should I reset my bios after I pull it out and plop in another one? Or change anything in windows? Im blanking mentally, thanks all
:)

No harm reseting bios/cmos, windows should be fine.

BIGWORM

Is this a good deal? A dude is selling his gaming PC and I'm kinda considering buying it. I'm not really PC gamer so don't know that much about parts.

Core i7 4770k,
16 GB ram,
EVGA GTX 780 SC,
128GB SSD
500GB SATA 3 7200rpm HDD

$1350

A pic:

I'd do it for you, but I'm MobileGAF, but someone could pull up a PC Partpicker and run a price against what's quoted to you to see if it's worth it.

Motherboard? Optical? PSU? Outside of secondary HD space, it looks good to me for a one-time purchase.

Lizardus

Far Cry 3 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B29S1JK/ref=dvg_deals_fc3_title?pf_rd_p=1774348042&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=979455011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RD2JEPQNMZ1M536TDQQ

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm thinking about buying a new Motherboard/CPU/Ram upgrade for my pc. I was wondering, how's modern windows (8.1 in my case) handle changing so much hardware? I remember than, last time I was in that kind of situation, windows 98 wouldn't really work without re-installing after changing so much stuff.

How's Win 8.1 working in that kind of situation? I formated to install Win 8.1 like 2 months ago and I don't really feel like re-installing everything again.

Ok I give up....

I am now ready to join the pc race after a gap of 14 years

My budget is $700

What is the best website for picking components
I did try pc part picker but it comes out more than $1000 everytime

NoRéN

Ok I give up....

I am now ready to join the pc race after a gap of 14 years

My budget is $700

What is the best website for picking components
I did try pc part picker but it comes out more than $1000 everytime

what are you trying to get? I doubt changing a retailer will amount to a decrease of $300.
What's the build you are going for?

atomsk

Party Pooper
Anyone still using one of the Playstation 3D 24 incher's for a monitor? Wonder how well they work, can pick one up pretty cheap and Im thinking about it

Never tried as a monitor, but you'd be lucky to get one that works consistently. I got one on black friday 2012 for $100, and while it hasn't died, the screen does go black for a few seconds from time to time.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay, here's the basis:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($158.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($234.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($489.99 @ Mac Mall)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2780.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 22:08 EDT-0400)

What I've left out:

1. G-Sync module, Buy here.
  2. Capture Card - I figured you might already have a preference since this is something you do.
  3. Extra HDDs - I only put in one. Add more if you want a RAID array for redundancy. I put in the black because it's reliable as hell, and that is probably important to you.
  4. KB and Mouse - If you aren't aware of mechanical keyboards, you should be. If you are, I'm sure you already have one of your liking. It's very subjective picking one out. Same goes for mice, for the most part. But the Steelseries Rival is the most accurate mouse that is sold, there is nothing better. It is objectively the best. I only push this on competitive gamers, so that's why I'm doing it for you :p

Why only one GPU?

It makes life super easy, and that thing is a beast. You'll have no problems running most games at 120 fps/1080p. When the performance isn't enough for you, sell it, and buy its successor. Most likely the GTX 980 or Titan revision. The GTX 880 won't be a significant upgrade from the 780 Ti. You only need to look at SLI for things like 4K or other really niche setups.

What is this G-Sync?

Considering you are a CRT guy, you should check out this thread. Also read part 1 and part 2 of Blurbuster's G-Sync review.

What's the other display?

It's a really really nice IPS 1440p display that will work perfectly for your portrait mode monitor. You probably won't ever really need more than two. This sucker is huge, and it will maintain color accuracy even while in portrait since it's an IPS. Done deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in something more specific, be it a specific type of case, having something that runs nearly silent (though this will be insanely quiet anyway), or an aesthetic style, then we can change it up. As it is, this list is what I'd suggest for the "ultimate" gaming PC.

NoRéN;107856663 said:
were you able to check it in store and make sure nothing was missing?

Yeah looks like everything was there...this one atleast had an i/o shield...i have both ram in and its staying on, so far so good.

Ashhong

It can easily but you said you were looking for cheap-ish games.

Oh I wasn't the original asker. Missed that part of his question tho :p

So is there a good 140mm case fan around 10-15$ on tigerdirect for my R4?

Or should I just get the fractal silent series which is what it already comes with? It's like 13$

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have an 8500GT from an old build. Anything I can do with that? (Dedicated PHYSX card maybe?) Main GPU is GTX 760.

I'm sure your GTX 760 would be better off handling the physx alone than pairing it with the 8500GT. I would just keep it as a backup card (to use temporarily if your current card dies or has issues). You never know when it might come in handy.

NoRéN;107852307 said:
what are you trying to get? I doubt changing a retailer will amount to a decrease of $300.
What's the build you are going for?

Future proofed motherboard, Psu and case while mid range cpu, gpu and memory

One last question I swear! So, if I am going to attempt to OC my 4670k should I try to use all the ASUS ROG tools that come with my mobo? I didnt load any of that stuff, I figured it was just extra stuff - or should I just use the bios? I guess a guide would help, heh...!

So i'm kind of over my head with this overclocking. the guides don't make much sense to me. I have a GA-Z87N-WIFI with a 4670k...what settings hsould i be looking to change?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Don't sweat it now then, come back later to it and do it when you feel comfortable.
Are you reading the OCN guide?
So first time seeing windows 8.1....wtf is this lol. Any help on how i can make this more classic?
ClassicShell

Core i7 4770k,
16 GB ram,
EVGA GTX 780 SC,
128GB SSD
500GB SATA 3 7200rpm HDD

$1350

A pic:
Not really, too close to new retail.

Panzon

Need help picking a mouse. I've never owned a gaming mouse so idk what it would feel like compared to standard one. Been reading about the Deathadder 2013 and the Steelseries Rival but they just look to big for my hands. I tried finding them unboxed at Microcenter so I could compare and see if those sizes are comfortable for me but sadly they didn't have any on display.

I'm going crazy here guys, please guide me

Need help picking a mouse. I've never owned a gaming mouse so idk what it would feel like compared to standard one. Been reading about the Deathadder 2013 and the Steelseries Rival but they just look to big for my hands. I tried finding them unboxed at Microcenter so I could compare and see if those sizes are comfortable for me but sadly they didn't have any on display.

Hey! First you want to determine what kind of grip you use on your mouse. The two most common are claw grip and palm grip. Thats where I started, and I sorta went from there. I bought a G9X a few months back because I claw grip and it fit me perfect! I hope this gives you a starting point, good luck!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Get a CM Spawn. Cheap and good sensor + small.

Info: http://www.cmuniversity.net/mice.php?lang=en

Panzon

Hey! First you want to determine what kind of grip you use on your mouse. The two most common are claw grip and palm grip. Thats where I started, and I sorta went from there. I bought a G9X a few months back because I claw grip and it fit me perfect! I hope this gives you a starting point, good luck!
I'm more of a palm grip guy. I like my hand to feel rested and not get fatigued and unfortunately the claw grip gets too uncomfortable after a while

Get a CM Spawn. Cheap and good sensor + small.

Info: http://www.cmuniversity.net/mice.php?lang=en
Looks decent but doesn't look too comfortable. Guess I'm gonna have to hit some stores and just test them for myself until I find one that suits me.

Thanks guys!

Built my first pc today. Took me practically all day, but I got it done. Thanks again to those who answered some of my questions.

Now what is the best thing to do with the old hard drive on the old pc? Smash it to pieces?

Lizardus

Built my first pc today. Took me practically all day, but I got it done. Thanks again to those who answered some of my questions.

Now what is the best thing to do with the old hard drive on the old pc? Smash it to pieces?

Put it in the new PC as storage for Movies etc? Unless it has stopped working. More space is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom