• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus7

Ok so I get my GTX 770 tomorrow for my new rig and excited to see what games will look like. I have had an Xbox One since release and that's basically the best graphics I have seen. I have Metro: Last Light and a few others downloaded ready to go. What was everyones reactions when seeing games on ultra for the first time, is it just a nice step up due to 60fps or is it a proper wow factor? :)

VLEXP

Here is how my set up is looking, I know I said 1200. for now I'll just get the parts and monitor next check.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rPgw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rPgw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rPgw/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1555.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-14 19:35 EDT-0400)

anything I can change or remove to save some money? and other monitors for cheaper that can offer the same resolution or similar.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm currently using a Scythe Big Shuriken for the 870, looks similar to the CM Gemini, so I guess I could reuse that?
Yep. Mounting is the same for 1156->1155->1150, so it should bolt right on too. I'd suggest swapping out the fan on it though, as you should have plenty of room for a proper 25mm fan.
Here is how my set up is looking, I know I said 1200. for now I'll just get the parts and monitor next check.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rPgw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rPgw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rPgw/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1555.41
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-14 19:35 EDT-0400)

anything I can change or remove to save some money? and other monitors for cheaper that can offer the same resolution or similar.
This gives you a much better case, which means cooler/quieter system, a great motherboard, and a 240GB SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1545.41
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-14 19:48 EDT-0400)

Yep. Mounting is the same for 1156->1155->1150, so it should bolt right on too. I'd suggest swapping out the fan on it though, as you should have plenty of room for a proper 25mm fan.
You know your stuff mkenyon! Always thought the fan was a bit weak and whiny :)

Hmmm. Will ponder this one a while.

I believe I might be able to reuse my RAM too, I have 2x4GB of this:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT51264BA160B

No fancy business, but they'll do the job?

Guri

Hey guys, is this overclock guide a good one? I have a Z68 motherboard with a i7 2600k. I'm buying a Corsair H60 soon so I can begin overclocking. I also wonder if 4.5 GHz is the best I can get without having a shorter lifespan.

mkenyon

Banned
You know your stuff mkenyon! Always thought the fan was a bit weak and whiny :)

Hmmm. Will ponder this one a while.

I believe I might be able to reuse my RAM too, I have 2x4GB of this:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT51264BA160B

No fancy business, but they'll do the job?
I had the same CPU cooler on one of my old ITX builds :p

mNMiXl.jpg

And yeah, that RAM works great.
Hey guys, is this overclock guide a good one? I have a Z68 motherboard with a i7 2600k. I'm buying a Corsair H60 soon so I can begin overclocking. I also wonder if 4.5 GHz is the best I can get without having a shorter lifespan.
I like Sin's guides the most: http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a-ud7-performance-review

This guy is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to motherboards.

Having a shorter lifespan is really dependent upon the chip. You might only need 1.2-1.3V to get there. If you need 1.4-1.45, then that's where you have to worry. It's all about the volts when you're looking at longevity.

:eek:

Awesome!

And holy crap, I just saw that same RAM is being sold by Crucial at almost double the price I bought it at in 2012! Why do memory prices fluctuate so weirdly?

mkenyon

Banned
:eek:

Awesome!

And holy crap, I just saw that same RAM is being sold by Crucial at almost double the price I bought it at in 2012! Why do memory prices fluctuate so weirdly?
They're scaling back production of DDR3 for DDR4, which is releasing with Haswell-E in June/July.

VLEXP

This gives you a much better case, which means cooler/quieter system, a great motherboard, and a 240GB SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1545.41
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-14 19:48 EDT-0400)[/QUOTE]

With that will I be able to run watch dogs and witcher 3?
for watchdogs it was said it would need an i7-4770k to run it at ultra thats why i added that.

Guri

I like Sin's guides the most: http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a-ud7-performance-review

This guy is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to motherboards.

Having a shorter lifespan is really dependent upon the chip. You might only need 1.2-1.3V to get there. If you need 1.4-1.45, then that's where you have to worry. It's all about the volts when you're looking at longevity.

I saw that one, but I'd like to be safe and see one appropriate for my motherboard. It will be my first time overclocking and that one is too broad.

Got my comp built, turned it on everything spins up runs fine. No display though. Thoughts?

Edit: took gfx card out now works, should I just install windows see what happens?

Got my comp built, turned it on everything spins up runs fine. No display though. Thoughts?

Edit: took gfx card out now works, should I just install windows see what happens?
Something I ran into with my build is the mobo was defaulting the output to the GPU, but the GPU wasn't displaying anything because it didn't have any drivers installed. For some reason windows wouldn't run the basic ones, so I had to run off of the integrated graphics until I could install drivers for the GPU.

I think I plugged and unplugged things like 6 times, plus switching where things were in the power supply before I figured that out...

Serandur

So, I'm returning my PSU (HX750) because of coil whine under GPU (780 GHz) load; can anyone recommend me a good, guaranteed coil whine-free modular/semi-modular PSU of the same caliber and up to around the same budget (~$130)? The coil whine-free part is extremely important, ruins my otherwise pleasantly quiet (even with intensive gaming) build.

Something I ran into with my build is the mobo was defaulting the output to the GPU, but the GPU wasn't displaying anything because it didn't have any drivers installed. For some reason windows wouldn't run the basic ones, so I had to run off of the integrated graphics until I could install drivers for the GPU.

I think I plugged and unplugged things like 6 times, plus switching where things were in the power supply before I figured that out...

What I'm thinking of trying, windows is installing

knitoe

You should still get the bios to display, before Windows, during bootup. If there's nothing, there's a problem.

John Blade

Question

What is the best 2.0 or 2.1 speaker right now in the market but at a decent price (less than $200 Cdn dollars). Right now, I am looking at either Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speaker System or Logitech Z623 or Logitech LS21. Just want your guys open before I place an order from Canada Computer right now.

NoRéN

So, I'm returning my PSU (HX750) because of coil whine under GPU (780 GHz) load; can anyone recommend me a good, guaranteed coil whine-free modular/semi-modular PSU of the same caliber and up to around the same budget (~$130)? The coil whine-free part is extremely important, ruins my otherwise pleasantly quiet (even with intensive gaming) build.
Seasonic or rose will should fit that price range. Very dependable.

So installed windows put in my gtx 760 and nothing. It spins up but neither the mobo or gfx card gives me a signal using dvi.

If I take it out I can use mobo dvi fine

Edit: ha! Stupid fix. I wasn't using the 8 to 6 pin adapter for the power.

Oh man hahaha. Remind me to never trust a third party application for checking my CPU VID. I used that crappy Easytune 6 utility that I somehow never uninstalled on my machine, and it was giving me a false reading of 1.49V and I about had a heart attack haha. Went into my bios and all was well.

RM8

Guys, help. I've been wanting to buy an actual gaming PC for a while (I'm currently on a rather mediocre 2011 all-in-one PC that against all odds has been able to play PS360-level stuff rather effortlessly), and I just learned about the Gigabyte Brix Pro.

Thing is tiny. I think this is exactly what I want! But, uh, would you say this would make for an okay gaming PC for at least 3-4 years? I don't mind not being able to play on highest settings/resolutions. Oh gosh this sounds too good to be true.

mkenyon

Banned
Guys, help. I've been wanting to buy an actual gaming PC for a while (I'm currently on a rather mediocre 2011 all-in-one PC that against all odds has been able to play PS360-level stuff rather effortlessly), and I just learned about the Gigabyte Brix Pro.

Thing is tiny. I think this is exactly what I want! But, uh, would you say this would make for an okay gaming PC for at least 3-4 years? I don't mind not being able to play on highest settings/resolutions. Oh gosh this sounds too good to be true.
No, but I can put something together that is a tad larger and should perform much better.

XJF

My new PC came in today! Everything went silky smooth. Still in the process of copying over my music collection (ETA was 3 hours total).

Not sure why Windows 8 gets a bad rap. I kind of like it. And having it installed on a SSD makes for a very fluid experience!

DTKT

Is there a way to check the Display Port specifications through software? I need to split one DP output in three but the adapter I was looking into requires DP 1.2

The computer is an M72e Mini-Format. Tomorrow, I'll try to remove the cover and check the motherboard.

Wounded

Hi all,

I have an i5 950. It clocked to 3.7ghz usually. Otherwise I have dual 7970s and 12gb RAM. Is it time for a new CPU? I'm conscious of its age. My performance is OK in games that aren't heavily CPU bound, but games like Far Cry 3 are all over the place. Is there any new grand chipset on the horizon? Or nothing thats a worthwhile step up.

Gumbie

Anyone know where I can buy the EVGA ACX cooler part for a 780ti? EVGA sells the cooler separate but it says it's for the Titan Black and I'm not sure if all the screw holes would line up right.

maneil99

Ugh doing prime95 test, been ~6 months since ocing the new cpu. Just doing check up. The scary part is the degragation ocd ive built over my mysterious previous cpu. Ive managed to keep my ocd down lately except for overhauling my desk in fear of ball bearings. Hopefully it subsides and my cpu passes.
8 hours vs 16 hours. Hm.... Ideas? 3570k @4.7ghz/1.24v~

Why do I always want to upgrade?

This thread is a bad influence.....

Ugh tell me about it. I started wanting to get a real basic board with a hold over CPU until the haswell refresh, and now I have a ASUS Maximus VI Hero and a i7 4770k. GO BIG I SAY, RIGHT? ;)

Not really, at that point higher end air or custom loops are the best upgrades. Many water coolers will be sidegrades

Hmm, like one of those noctua nh-d14? That'd be an upgrade from the 212+ Evo no?

maneil99

Ugh tell me about it. I started wanting to get a real basic board with a hold over CPU until the haswell refresh, and now I have a ASUS Maximus VI Hero and a i7 4770k. GO BIG I SAY, RIGHT? ;)

Hmm, like one of those noctua nh-d14? That'd be an upgrade from the 212+ Evo no?
Yup i went from a 212 to a noctua, good upgrade, tempted to say 10c~?

jiggles

Banned
Is there anything I can use in Windows 8.1 to monitor fan speeds? I tried Speedfan, but nothing's showing up.

I turned my machine on eariler, and it was running fine, then I switched it off, went for a shower, came back and the fans are going crazy. It only kicks in when windows has finished booting, and I can't see any abnormal temperatures (core temps of the CPU are sitting at about 10C, and GPU's at 33C).

Is there anything I can use in Windows 8.1 to monitor fan speeds? I tried Speedfan, but nothing's showing up.

I turned my machine on eariler, and it was running fine, then I switched it off, went for a shower, came back and the fans are going crazy. It only kicks in when windows has finished booting, and I can't see any abnormal temperatures (core temps of the CPU are sitting at about 10C, and GPU's at 33C).

I use SpeedFan without any crazy changes in 8.1... Hmm. Also, isn't 10C abnormally low for a CPU temperature? That's like 50 F. How cold is your house man, damn!

jiggles

Banned
Well, the insulation in this house is shit, so it often drops below 10C overnight.

I found what the issue was. One of the GPU fans wasn't spinning, so the other one was compensating. I just gave it a flick and it started going again, and the other one slowed down and now it's back to silent.

I guess I'd better return it. :(

riflen

Well, the insulation in this house is shit, so it often drops below 10C overnight.

I found what the issue was. One of the GPU fans wasn't spinning, so the other one was compensating. I just gave it a flick and it started going again, and the other one slowed down and now it's back to silent.

I guess I'd better return it. :(

There are tons of utilities to monitor hardware. Please look in the OP.
I use HWinfo and OpenHardwareMonitor myself. If you're interested in GPU fans only, then MSI Afterburner should get you the info you want sooner.

jiggles

Banned
Afterburner was actually my first port of call, but it was reporting just 38% fan speed, and adjusting the fan control wasn't working, so I couldn't force an audible change. Even running Fur Mark didn't change the noise of the loud fan, despite AB showing the speed increasing for that, so I discounted the GPU and was looking for CPU fan speed and chassis fan speeds, which neither Speedfan nor OHM would give me.

Decided I'm not going to return it for now. It only happened once, so it might have just been a one-off.

hepburn3d

Ok.

So I need to purchase (not build myself) an extremely high end PC with 3 HDMI outputs in as small as size as possible. Price is not an issue.

- High End - i7, min 16GB ram, best GPU per size ratio
- Compact - needs to be as small as possible, not bigger than a standard laptop
- Doesn't need a monitor or any peripherals
- 2 USB slots min, 1 Ethernet port

Obviously the more high power the GPU the bigger the power supply, the larger the cooling requirement, so the absolute top end might not be the best option.

Any suggestions on the best build it site I could get his from?

maneil99

Are we talking gpu or cpu? It's possible you hooked up your cpu cables to a fan port that does not allow control

scogoth

Ok.

So I need to purchase (not build myself) an extremely high end PC with 3 HDMI outputs in as small as size as possible. Price is not an issue.

Obviously the more high power the GPU the bigger the power supply, the larger the cooling requirement, so the absolute top end might not be the best option.

Any chance you live in canada, north west us or SoCal? And nothing fits your requirements and is as small as a laptop. You either go bigger or give up a dedicated gpu

Edit: if size is most important then you want a macmini or gigabyte brix pro with a mst hub ( http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mst-hub-1-3.html ) and two minidisplayport to hdmi adapters

Ok.

This is a weird list of parameters. What are you using it for?

Water

This is about the smallest / most unobtrusive you can do that still gives you high end graphics (customize to 780 Ti). Anything smaller than that and the GPU sacrifice will be huge.
http://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/potenza/customize.php

If you need to go tiny, Gigabyte Brix Pro, but the GPU is pitiful.

Or, thinking outside the box - even though you said no display, getting the high end 27" iMac would give you 780M graphics with essentially no size at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom