• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Ok.

So I need to purchase (not build myself) an extremely high end PC with 3 HDMI outputs in as small as size as possible. Price is not an issue.

- High End - i7, min 16GB ram, best GPU per size ratio
- Compact - needs to be as small as possible, not bigger than a standard laptop
- Doesn't need a monitor or any peripherals
- 2 USB slots min, 1 Ethernet port

Obviously the more high power the GPU the bigger the power supply, the larger the cooling requirement, so the absolute top end might not be the best option.

Any suggestions on the best build it site I could get his from?

This reads like a WatchOut computer.

Ok.

So I need to purchase (not build myself) an extremely high end PC with 3 HDMI outputs in as small as size as possible. Price is not an issue.

- High End - i7, min 16GB ram, best GPU per size ratio
- Compact - needs to be as small as possible, not bigger than a standard laptop
- Doesn't need a monitor or any peripherals
- 2 USB slots min, 1 Ethernet port

Obviously the more high power the GPU the bigger the power supply, the larger the cooling requirement, so the absolute top end might not be the best option.

Any suggestions on the best build it site I could get his from?

As mentioned, I'm not sure you'll find that in the size of a laptop. As it turns out, dedicated GPUs by themselves are generally thicker than most laptops, not to mention all the other parts and space for cooling.

Maybe give a look to Falcon Northwest custom PCs, especially the "FragBox" or "Tiki" models? That's the closest I can think of.

No it's sound like mice running around all the time. Lots of ticking and depending on how it's mounted in your case lots of humming.

Thanks; I went ahead and got a Blue one.

The last two things I need to buy for my build is the processor (I'll get an i7 4770K) and a GPU.

I am between the GTX 780 and the GTX 780 Ti (EVGA both) but I am torn as to which one I should get. Because of the price difference, I was thinking of getting a 780 and upgrading to an 880 (Ti) further down the road. Reading about the 880 rumours however, I am wondering if the best course of action is to get a 780 Ti, sit out the 800 series, and wait for the 900 series.

My main worry however, is how easy will it be to sell a used 780 Ti once the 900 series release. No one seems to buy 580s or 590s anymore. On the other hand, I am assuming it will be easier to sell a used 780 once the 800 series release.

Thoughts?

scogoth

The last two things I need to buy for my build is the processor (I'll get an i7 4770K) and a GPU.

I am between the GTX 780 and the GTX 780 Ti (EVGA both) but I am torn as to which one I should get. Because of the price difference, I was thinking of getting a 780 and upgrading to an 880 (Ti) further down the road. Reading about the 880 rumours however, I am wondering if the best course of action is to get a 780 Ti, sit out the 800 series, and wait for the 900 series.

My main worry however, is how easy will it be to sell a used 780 Ti once the 900 series release. No one seems to buy 580s or 590s anymore. On the other hand, I am assuming it will be easier to sell a used 780 once the 800 series release.

Thoughts?

Mkenyon can give you better advice in resale value because I don't usually sell my parts. All I can say is you will not be disappointed by either GPU. Buy the most GPU you feel comfortable spending and then enjoy it. I had 2x 470s and now 2x 680s and I won't be upgrading until TITAN black classified ŽØ or something like that comes out.

hepburn3d

This is a weird list of parameters. What are you using it for?

Portable aircraft simulator. At the moment I use 3 laptops for the outside world, but I want to get to one machine with the most performance possible.

This is about the smallest / most unobtrusive you can do that still gives you high end graphics (customize to 780 Ti). Anything smaller than that and the GPU sacrifice will be huge.

If you need to go tiny, Gigabyte Brix Pro, but the GPU is pitiful.

Or, thinking outside the box - even though you said no display, getting the high end 27" iMac would give you 780M graphics with essentially no size at all.

That's what prompted me to ask, that Gigebyte Brix looks awesome but the GPU isn't. Almost need a hack job where one of those is bolted onto a Titan. I like you're thinking with an iMac though, worth a thought.

As mentioned, I'm not sure you'll find that in the size of a laptop. As it turns out, dedicated GPUs by themselves are generally thicker than most laptops, not to mention all the other parts and space for cooling.

Maybe give a look to Falcon Northwest custom PCs, especially the "FragBox" or "Tiki" models? That's the closest I can think of.

That Tiki is awesome. Will have a look. If I wasn't worried about overheating I'd give building it myself a go but I'm fairly certain it would melt with how poorly I would build it.

maneil99

Thoughts?

You are talking about a 10-15% difference for about 150-200$. If that is worth it to you get it if not don't. The 880 will be faster then both so theres no future proof option there. If you can afford a 780 Ti and think it's worth the price get it, if not get the 780, overclocked the 780 is a beast, as is a 780 Ti

You are talking about a 10-15% difference for about 150-200$. If that is worth it to you get it if not don't. The 880 will be faster then both so theres no future proof option there. If you can afford a 780 Ti and think it's worth the price get it, if not get the 780, overclocked the 780 is a beast, as is a 780 Ti

I'd like to keep staying on top of the game in terms of GPUs, so I am considering the initial investment and the resale value as well. I wouldn't mind selling the old card and paying ~£200 for a new one every 18 months or so.

I'm just wondering if it's better to spend less (780) at this point, in order to spend more later (880 Ti or whatever).

Water

Portable aircraft simulator. At the moment I use 3 laptops for the outside world, but I want to get to one machine with the most performance possible.
For visual size reference, here's the FT03 mini case (what Maingear is using for their small system) on a gaffer's desk. Found from this thread. Considering you apparently need 3 displays anyway, and they will always take a certain size, I think trimming the computer size further down gets quickly to diminishing returns.

Given that "price is no object", it just occurred to me that there's one more choice that could be really good for you - the Mac Pro. It's small, and it's pretty fast when upgraded to the best graphics option ($4k). The best graphics system is equivalent to two midrange Radeons in Crossfire (and can be used as such in Windows). If the software supports Crossfire, it should be about as fast as a single 780 Ti in the Maingear or Falcon systems.

Since you have exactly this one specific simulator software to run, it's an interesting question whether Nvidia and AMD GPUs run it equally well - there might be as much as a 30% difference between "normally" equivalent GPUs if the simulator happens to be strongly on one side. And if you wanted to go for the Mac Pro, then it's critical whether the simulator will run with Crossfire because if not, it only has half performance.

Yup i went from a 212 to a noctua, good upgrade, tempted to say 10c~?

Hmmm, good thing to shoot for eventually. Thanks! My only qualm is that it probably doesnt fit in my case. That cooler is MASSIVE. I have a Corsair 330r :\ What is a comparable water cooler? hrm hrm!

quickwhips

Can anyone recommend a low profile video card that will run Wildstar? I don't need max settings just something that will work and not be skipping frames bad at like medium settings or something. I have this right now AMD Radeon HD 7470.

scogoth

Can anyone recommend a low profile video card that will run Wildstar? I don't need max settings just something that will work and not be skipping frames bad at like medium settings or something. I have this right now AMD Radeon HD 7470.

Nothing half height is going to be good. Or do you just need it to be single slot.

EDIT:
Best half height seems to be a 7750 which is a little better.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1159&pid=1658&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

Anyone think it's a good idea to recycle my 2600k? I think my mobo is screwed, so I would need to replace it. Then I upgrade everything else. except the CPU and my OS SSD.

Einbroch

Banned

Didn't you say in the other thread that you wanted to get back into PC gaming? Don't half ass the video card. You don't have to go nuts, but just going "meh" for Wildstar will just lead you upgrade earlier than you want to.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
So I have a Dell motherboard with an i7 920 processor. Should I just get a new motherboard eventually or attempt to go through the hoops to overclock the Dell?

quickwhips

Didn't you say in the other thread that you wanted to get back into PC gaming? Don't half ass the video card. You don't have to go nuts, but just going "meh" for Wildstar will just lead you upgrade earlier than you want to.

I'm not half assing it just that I don't have 500 dollars for a build and I just want a card to play wildstar beta right now. I guess I could gut my mini and buy a motherboard and case...

Einbroch

Banned
I'm not half assing it just that I don't have 500 dollars for a build and I just want a card to play wildstar beta right now. I guess I could gut my mini and buy a motherboard and case...

I'd save the money and do a more substantial upgrade, especially because it's only a beta. Game isn't out until June so I'd save for a month and get something better, if you can.

But this is only my advice, you know what you want.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played on my PC gaming computer in a while (been messing with my PS4) and was wondering if it can max out Dark Souls 2? I NEED that 60 fps.

i5-3570k stock
GTX 480 1.5GB
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1

mkenyon

Banned
So I have a Dell motherboard with an i7 920 processor. Should I just get a new motherboard eventually or attempt to go through the hoops to overclock the Dell?
I'd save your pennies for Haswell-E or Devil's Canyon (Haswell/Z97 refresh).
Anyone think it's a good idea to recycle my 2600k? I think my mobo is screwed, so I would need to replace it. Then I upgrade everything else. except the CPU and my OS SSD.
Yeah, good idea. If you want some more modern features, such as PCI-E 3.0 and whatnot, you could probably sell your 2600K for a good amount.
I'd like to keep staying on top of the game in terms of GPUs, so I am considering the initial investment and the resale value as well. I wouldn't mind selling the old card and paying ~£200 for a new one every 18 months or so.

I'm just wondering if it's better to spend less (780) at this point, in order to spend more later (880 Ti or whatever).
I doubt there will be an 880 Ti. I'd imagine the first major boost compared to the 780 won't be until the 980 or Titan refresh.

I just bought a 780 Ti, but only because it was a KPE that I couldn't pass up. Otherwise, I would have gone for a 780. Maybe the 780 Lightning or Classy though. The super custom high end cards tend to hold their value much more than reference stuff. It's always easier to resell too.

By that, I mean like the Lightning, Classified, or Matrix.

I'd save your pennies for Haswell-E or Devil's Canyon (Haswell/Z97 refresh).

Yeah, good idea. If you want some more modern features, such as PCI-E 3.0 and whatnot, you could probably sell your 2600K for a good amount.

I doubt there will be an 880 Ti. I'd imagine the first major boost compared to the 780 won't be until the 980 or Titan refresh.

I just bought a 780 Ti, but only because it was a KPE that I couldn't pass up. Otherwise, I would have gone for a 780. Maybe the 780 Lightning or Classy though. The super custom high end cards tend to hold their value much more than reference stuff. It's always easier to resell too.

By that, I mean like the Lightning, Classified, or Matrix.

So mkenyon, 780 now and 980 when it releases is a sound plan, right?

Node 304 - white or black?

Happy to see the Haswell refresh, and series 9 leaks popping up. I'm sort of sitting on my hands at the moment waiting for the 4790K, Z97, and 6GB 780.

Okay, here's the basis:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($158.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($234.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($489.99 @ Mac Mall)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2780.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 22:08 EDT-0400)

What I've left out:

1. G-Sync module, Buy here.
  2. Capture Card - I figured you might already have a preference since this is something you do.
  3. Extra HDDs - I only put in one. Add more if you want a RAID array for redundancy. I put in the black because it's reliable as hell, and that is probably important to you.
  4. KB and Mouse - If you aren't aware of mechanical keyboards, you should be. If you are, I'm sure you already have one of your liking. It's very subjective picking one out. Same goes for mice, for the most part. But the Steelseries Rival is the most accurate mouse that is sold, there is nothing better. It is objectively the best. I only push this on competitive gamers, so that's why I'm doing it for you :p

Why only one GPU?

It makes life super easy, and that thing is a beast. You'll have no problems running most games at 120 fps/1080p. When the performance isn't enough for you, sell it, and buy its successor. Most likely the GTX 980 or Titan revision. The GTX 880 won't be a significant upgrade from the 780 Ti. You only need to look at SLI for things like 4K or other really niche setups.

What is this G-Sync?

Considering you are a CRT guy, you should check out this thread. Also read part 1 and part 2 of Blurbuster's G-Sync review.

What's the other display?

It's a really really nice IPS 1440p display that will work perfectly for your portrait mode monitor. You probably won't ever really need more than two. This sucker is huge, and it will maintain color accuracy even while in portrait since it's an IPS. Done deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in something more specific, be it a specific type of case, having something that runs nearly silent (though this will be insanely quiet anyway), or an aesthetic style, then we can change it up. As it is, this list is what I'd suggest for the "ultimate" gaming PC.

I really love your suggestions. I'm going to go with most of those; the case especially is amazing. Gonna get it in black.

1. Bare with me, but any advice on aesthetics? I want...red. My initial thought is to use a NZXT RGB HUE LED Controller like this Air 540 rig, since I think it looks very nice on that.
2. Yeah, I'm going to go with the VG248QE because of G-Sync. There are preinstalled sellers, right? Annoyed I'll lose my HDMI and DVI ports though...ugh
3. I think you're right about dual monitor and no SLI. At the very least I want to try the machine out that way and upgrade if I need to. Good call.
4. The PB278Q looks nice, but it came out a while ago? There hasn't been a successor, but is it outdated now? Is it really still one of the best IPS out there?
5. So, I'm just thinking about this in terms of desk aesthetics ... and I can't shake the ugliness of the different sized monitors. There is no avoiding it though, as I think it'd be rather silly to settle for a 24" IPS. Part of me figures that since they're going to be different sized anyhow, I might as well go all in and bump it to 30" lol.
5. The Rival is amazing. I use mine all the time :D

Thank you so much! I'm going to try and buy tonight; I'll make sure to post pics when its done :)

[sorry for the late reply, I was at a tournament last weekend]

Node 304 - white or black?

Happy to see the Haswell refresh, and series 9 leaks popping up. I'm sort of sitting on my hands at the moment waiting for the 4790K, Z97, and 6GB 780.

I have a Node 304 black in my living room. There's no way I could make white work with the rest of my setup.

rafbanaan

I'm looking to go for a mini or micro build (current ATX build with the Fractal R4). I also want to go really silent. Since I need a new motherboard, I would go for the new Haswell series (is there a releasedate for?). Is it worth to wait for extreme series (Broadwell) for the DDR4? Or just go for a current Haswell build (I now have Ivy).

I was looking at the EVGA Hadron, but I'm in doubt with the power supply. I have a 780Ti stock (Gigabyte) and I'm not sure if the 500W would do the trick. I checked some reviews and they were pointing out a usage of 350-400W, but I'm a bit scared :p

Also: Could I make the Hadron (mega) silent? Which sort of cooler should I take and would the stock cooler form a problem with the silent. If yes, way to reduce it?

If it's too hard to do, I would take a Prodigy, but this Hadron stole my heart.

IMACOMPUTA

I have such a tough time considering the Hadron. The one thing that actually breaks on pc's I've owned is the power supply.
What happens in 2 years when the hadron proprietary PSU dies??

scogoth

I have such a tough time considering the Hadron. The one thing that actually breaks on pc's I've owned is the power supply.
What happens in 2 years when the hadron proprietary PSU dies??

The PSU isn't crappy, it won't break in 2 years.

I'm looking to go for a mini or micro build (current ATX build with the Fractal R4). I also want to go really silent. Since I need a new motherboard, I would go for the new Haswell series (is there a releasedate for?). Is it worth to wait for extreme series (Broadwell) for the DDR4? Or just go for a current Haswell build (I now have Ivy).

I was looking at the EVGA Hadron, but I'm in doubt with the power supply. I have a 780Ti stock (Gigabyte) and I'm not sure if the 500W would do the trick. I checked some reviews and they were pointing out a usage of 350-400W, but I'm a bit scared :p

Also: Could I make the Hadron (mega) silent? Which sort of cooler should I take and would the stock cooler form a problem with the silent. If yes, way to reduce it?

The Hadron isn't really a great case for silent. The positioning of the GPU really only works with a reference cooler without dumping a ton of heat on the PSU and elsewhere in the case. The only fan options are 2 up top so either all intake or all exhaust so you don't want to run really low RPM fans because they need to generate a lot of airflow for the entire case. You can make it quiet but not silent.

500w is fine. JayZTwoCents on Youtube did a video on OC i7-3770K and GTX 680 with 12 fans got 360w used. Take note that the 780 draws more than 50w less than a stock 680. Video here

I have a Node 304 black in my living room. There's no way I could make white work with the rest of my setup.

I'm frightened by the prospects, I'm not going to lie. The 304 is understated and conservative. That's part of it's appeal. Making it white probably jeopardizes that...

I'm going to sleep on it.

Hmmm, good thing to shoot for eventually. Thanks! My only qualm is that it probably doesnt fit in my case. That cooler is MASSIVE. I have a Corsair 330r : What is a comparable water cooler? hrm hrm!
Do some measurements. Noctuas are dead silent and even better than some Liquid coolers. Also don't forget that liquid coolers have pipes going everywhere and some have huge radiators.

If you do go the Noctua route, wait a few weeks. The NH-D15 is due in stores any time now.

kennah

My disease has infected you I see.
I had it long before we met friend. Back 'in the day' I would spend between 10-20k on computer parts a year. Would change things up every couple weeks (was a source of income. Buy stuff at cost, use it a bit then sell it used but still for more than I paid). When I cleaned up my warehouse at my grandparents there were 8 computer cases that got recycled.

I calmed down when I got rid of all my worldly possessions and lived on couches for two years.

Finish your splash first

Can't. When it is done then I'm not allowed to upgrade for 4 years.

Never done = never have to stop upgrading.

b0bbyJ03

Is it bad to leave a side panel off? my pc is in a corner and no one can see the open side (which also had the graphics card on it) and ive been using it with the side panel off so that it always allows the hot air to escape.

mkenyon

Banned
I really love your suggestions. I'm going to go with most of those; the case especially is amazing. Gonna get it in black.

1. Bare with me, but any advice on aesthetics? I want...red. My initial thought is to use a NZXT RGB HUE LED Controller like this Air 540 rig, since I think it looks very nice on that.
2. Yeah, I'm going to go with the VG248QE because of G-Sync. There are preinstalled sellers, right? Annoyed I'll lose my HDMI and DVI ports though...ugh
3. I think you're right about dual monitor and no SLI. At the very least I want to try the machine out that way and upgrade if I need to. Good call.
4. The PB278Q looks nice, but it came out a while ago? There hasn't been a successor, but is it outdated now? Is it really still one of the best IPS out there?
5. So, I'm just thinking about this in terms of desk aesthetics ... and I can't shake the ugliness of the different sized monitors. There is no avoiding it though, as I think it'd be rather silly to settle for a 24" IPS. Part of me figures that since they're going to be different sized anyhow, I might as well go all in and bump it to 30" lol.
5. The Rival is amazing. I use mine all the time :D
1. You could swap the motherboard for a Z87X-UD4H. It has red accents. Additionally, the MSI G45 Gaming is on sale today for $134.99, $114.99 after MIR, promo code is EMCPFWE27. Both are great boards.

To get a red GPU, the MSI Gaming 780 Ti, EVGA Classified, and ASUS DCuII are all great. If you're not too keen on overclocking, the MSI Gaming has the highest clock speed out of the box and a low(er) price.

2. OverlordComputers sells them fully installed.

3. The PSU I suggested only has room for a single 780 Ti. If you think a second card is likely, I might suggest stepping up to something else. The Corsair RM 1000 is on sale for $190.

4. A lot of the fancier IPS panels are really centered around super accurate colors for professional work. The Viewsonic in the OP is considered one of the best. If you want 30", there's the Dell U3011 which is 2560x1600. Additionally, there's the QNix Evolution II, which can be overclocked reliably to 90Hz+, with 120Hz a fairly common thing.

That being said, the ASUS is a great panel for the price.
Is it bad to leave a side panel off? my pc is in a corner and no one can see the open side (which also had the graphics card on it) and ive been using it with the side panel off so that it always allows the hot air to escape.
It'll get dusty faster.

mkenyon

Banned
Do some measurements. Noctuas are dead silent and even better than some Liquid coolers. Also don't forget that liquid coolers have pipes going everywhere and some have huge radiators.

If you do go the Noctua route, wait a few weeks. The NH-D15 is due in stores any time now.
Tubes going everywhere and huge radiators? C'mon now.

NH-D14 in a Fractal Define R4:

cfLRP.jpg

H60 in a Fractal Define R4

Which is easier to work in? which is more in the way? This is the main reason why I've abandoned giant air coolers.

Ark

Your Current Specs: 2007 20" iMac, it's useless at this point.

Budget: £1000 including W8 and Monitor - UK

Main Use: 5 I guess? Mostly used for games and some video/image editing

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 is what I'm going for

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Games like Witcher 2, Battlefield 4, Borderlands, etc all at 60 fps on high/ultra settings

Looking to reuse any parts?: Maybe the ashes when I burn this thing

When will you build?: Before the end of next week!

Will you be overclocking?: You bet!

Figured I'd fill that out anyway. Me and a friend put together a list of parts for a build last night, it looks pretty sweet to me but I wanted to run it by GAF first to make sure. Object is really to just be able to play games at 1080p 60fps at the highest possible settings my budget will allow. Will be overclocking of course.

The only thing I'm unsure on is which monitor to go for. My monitor budget is sub £200 (overall budget of 1k but I'm willing to go over by a little for the sake of the monitor), but I really have no idea on monitors at all.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3rQVd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom