• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzon

I'm so hyped guys. All I'm missing is the CPU (which I'm gonna buy on Friday), mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Since I can't wait much longer Im gonna buy a cheap M&K for now and gonna borrow an extra monitor my friend has until I can buy the ones I want sometime next month. I can't fucking wait anymore guys. Seriously, I have dreams about this rig. WOOOOOOOOHHHHH!!

Aesius

I have a spare AMD Phenom II 550 chip and an AMD 4850 GPU (old parts from my current gaming rig).

I do freelance writing from home with my laptop, but it's slow as hell and frustrating to use.

If you were in my shoes, would you buy a new system or use the spare parts and build a cheap rig (motherboard, RAM, case, PSU).

Keep in mind I'd like to stay under $200 if possible. I'll be using the rig mostly for writing, but I also may play some Age of Empires II HD on it as well (since my gaming rig isn't at a desk).

What do you think my best option is? I've considered a Chome Box, but I really want Windows and the ability to install Steam and other programs.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a spare AMD Phenom II 550 chip and an AMD 4850 GPU (old parts from my current gaming rig).

I do freelance writing from home with my laptop, but it's slow as hell and frustrating to use.

If you were in my shoes, would you buy a new system or use the spare parts and build a cheap rig (motherboard, RAM, case, PSU).

Keep in mind I'd like to stay under $200 if possible. I'll be using the rig mostly for writing, but I also may play some Age of Empires II HD on it as well (since my gaming rig isn't at a desk).

What do you think my best option is? I've considered a Chome Box, but I really want Windows and the ability to install Steam and other programs.
I'd sell it off and get a Haswell-based NUC.
I know someone online selling an Asus Maximus VI Gene motherboard fo $110 + shipping, is this a good motherboard/deal?
Goodness gracious yes. I'd buy that.
I'm so hyped guys. All I'm missing is the CPU (which I'm gonna buy on Friday), mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Since I can't wait much longer Im gonna buy a cheap M&K for now and gonna borrow an extra monitor my friend has until I can buy the ones I want sometime next month. I can't fucking wait anymore guys. Seriously, I have dreams about this rig. WOOOOOOOOHHHHH!!
\m/ get hype
So I got my RMA replacement from Corsair for the H80i today. I was primarily using it to pull air from the case and use it as an exhaust but now I see its supposed to be used as an intake and blow hot air into the case. I know it'll make the CPU cooler but does that heat up the components? I'm using one 140mm fan as an exhaust at the top.
You can use it either way. I prefer exhaust.

Any big advancements coming this this year that are worth waiting for? Thinking about building an SLI 780ti and 4960x rig but not sure if I should wait for whatever is coming up instead.

mkenyon

Banned
Any big advancements coming this this year that are worth waiting for? Thinking about building an SLI 780ti and 4960x rig but not sure if I should wait for whatever is coming up instead.
Haswell-E in a few months. 6 core base part at $300-400, 8 core 4930K equivalent at $500-600. It will be using DDR4 as well.

appaws

Banned
I've recently upgraded my system thanks to some advice from this thread. I've added a GTX 780 SC, 128GB SSD and a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo to my existing 2500K and P8P67 Pro. Everything is running well but I'd like to look into overclocking my CPU to squeeze a bit more performance out of it.

Currently I am running at stock speeds and from the reading around overclocking I have done, using offset to overclock is a more efficient way of doing things in respect to chip longevity and power usage.

The only modifications I have made to my BIOS would be around defining my RAM settings 1600MHz @ 1.65v as per the manufacturers specifications.

I'd be looking at a ~4.5Ghz overclock, for this am I best to set offset voltage to zero and then modify the offset +/- until I get it to a low voltage (say around 1.25v) under load? What is the best way of simulating load? What temps should be my cut off?

I apologise if this has been covered already at length, I'm struggling to find a 2500K specific guide that details things from the bare basics. Most guides mention to use offset voltages, but none seem to detail the process that well.

I use offset for my 24/7 overclock on a 3570k. Generally, I would advise you to first find a good place for your OC using fixed voltage. Once you have that figured out, you can then figure out what level of offset gives you that voltage at load.

The guides in the OP no good? There are a lot of them out there, and a lot of videos on Youtube. What Mobo are you using?

OOPS! Just noticed you said the P8P67 Pro...I just googled it and got some:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRw-1V6-Yk
http://www.overclock.net/t/1385020/overclocking-i52500k-on-asus-p8p67-pro

TheD

The Detective
Anyone have any comments on getting a CoolerMaster Seidon 120v (and replacing my Hyper 212+) to up the overclock on my 2500K?
It is cheap and that review I linked seems to show it performing well.

appaws

Banned
Anyone have any comments on getting a CoolerMaster Seidon 120v (and replacing my Hyper 212+) to up the overclock on my 2500K?
It is cheap and that review I linked seems to show it performing well.

I am not sure how much of a difference you will see...?

These AIOs are really everywhere now. I see new reviews of them almost every day it seems. I read over that FrostyTech review. That 120v seems to be decent at the high fan speeds, but somewhat noisy (54db). At the low speed it is outperformed by the Hyper 212. It seems that the fairly dense rad requires a pretty decent fan speed to perform.

Maybe you could buy two good, low-noise high SP fans for push-pull and maximize what it can do. Read this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6177/...ator-fan-testing-eight-fans-with-corsairs-h80

or this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1373636/120mm-140mm-best-static-pressure-fans-money-can-buy

mkenyon

Banned
I just put this together on Amazon. Such an amazing system for so little:

hZZU94O.png

Could've built that instead of buying a 780 Ti (plus waterblock, backplate, and more 10mm copper pipe)

These AIOs are really everywhere now. I see new reviews of them almost every day it seems. I read over that FrostyTech review. That 120v seems to be decent at the high fan speeds, but somewhat noisy (54db). At the low speed it is outperformed by the Hyper 212. It seems that the fairly dense rad requires a pretty decent fan speed to perform.

Maybe you could buy two good, low-noise high SP fans for push-pull and maximize what it can do.
Or just a single CM JetFlo. CPU coolers are very much about fans as much as the actual radiator/heatsink.

TheD

The Detective

Maybe you could buy two good, low-noise high SP fans for push-pull and maximize what it can do. Read this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6177/...ator-fan-testing-eight-fans-with-corsairs-h80

or this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1373636/120mm-140mm-best-static-pressure-fans-money-can-buy

Well the Frosty Tech review put it at about 5C cooler than the Hyper212+ at high fan speed whentrying to cool 150W of heat.

With regards to the fans, I am thinking of taking the fan off my 212 and putting it on the 120v in a push/pull config.
It seems to be nearly the same fan (other than max RPM).

mjontrix

Trust me, wait for skylake next year. By then all the new high end gpus will be out and you can go all out!

I'm still running a i7-930 oc to 3.7 with a 6970, might get a r280x if I decide to get watchdogs but otherwise it working great the past few years.

appaws

Banned
Well the Frosty Tech review put it at about 5C cooler than the Hyper212+ at high fan speed whentrying to cool 150W of heat.

With regards to the fans, I am thinking of taking the fan off my 212 and putting it on the 120v in a push/pull config.
It seems to be nearly the same fan (other than max RPM).

Yeah, it did outperform the 212, but at 54db....and Frosty mentioned that it needed high SP cause of the way the rad is constructed.

I felt that the fan that came with the 212 was too loud, so I replaced it with SP120 Quiet Editions in push/pull. Much better.

I was just off reading about that CM JetFlo MKenyon mentioned. Pretty impressive. Looks cool as well.

Siyou

Just curious. I have been looking for a PC, but don't have too much to spend. Is this a decent deal for what's shown?

http://up.craigslist.org/sys/4421286239.html

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

4.00 Gb Gskill Ares Ram (NEW)

Windows 7 64 bit

750 Gb Western Digital Cavier Blue

Sapphire 7970 Graphics card (Plays GW2 @ 60 fps / Plays BF4 on ULTRA @ 1080p 50-60 FPS even on 64 player servers)

Thermaltake 700w PSU (NEW)

Lightscribe DVD Burner

*Cable Manageent (Cables are zip tied and out of the way)

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium (OEM)

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

this place isn't too far from where I live, but I honestly would check it out before buying... Anyways, give me a heads up as to what you think, GAF.

jay23

I have to say PC GAF, after years of being a console owner I never thought PC gaming would be that much better.

Now that I have my desktop, I get it. It's awesome. From doing media server stuff, to rendering videos in a flash, to doing remote tasks from my office and finally maxed out gaming it's a good life.

People need to look at making a gaming PC not like buying an expensive, large, gaming console but buying an awesome computer that is also awesome at games. It's not just gaming that is improved.

For someone planning on building his first pc, I love reading these type of comments. Specs of your build?

I've had a 2500K for two years and never overclocked it. I feel like a fool.

That is quite the mistake if I do say so myself. When performance is an issue I OC to 5.0GHz, however it's not my 100% of the time clock. I normally keep it around 4.4GHz, and a 1GHz OC is pretty damn good if I say so myself.

Trust me, wait for skylake next year. By then all the new high end gpus will be out and you can go all out!

Will Skylake have 6 and 8 core CPUs in the standard line? Or will I have to wait another year after that for Skylake-E or whatever? Is an 8 core skylake really so much to ask for :(

TheD

The Detective
Yeah, it did outperform the 212, but at 54db....and Frosty mentioned that it needed high SP cause of the way the rad is constructed.

I felt that the fan that came with the 212 was too loud, so I replaced it with SP120 Quiet Editions in push/pull. Much better.

I was just off reading about that CM JetFlo MKenyon mentioned. Pretty impressive. Looks cool as well.

I was hoping that I could run the two Blade Master at a low enough RPM as to not make as much noise yet still cool about the same.

Or just a single CM JetFlo. CPU coolers are very much about fans as much as the actual radiator/heatsink.

Yeah, that JetFlo fan does seem very impressive.

I'm still running a i7-930 oc to 3.7 with a 6970, might get a r280x if I decide to get watchdogs but otherwise it working great the past few years.

That's so far away :( When realistically would I even need that sort of power for single screen 1080 or 1400p gaming at 60 fps, Max settings?

I really hate planning a new rig, always something to wait for and I never know when the best time to upgrade for maximum future proofing is.

Alright guys I am in need of some advice...

I currently have:

6gb of DDR3 (2x2, 2x1)
HD 5770 that could probably use replacing anyways
PSU is rated around 650w cant remember if its 20 up or down

My computer recently burned out so I am looking to make a recycle build hopefully salvaging as much as I can. What can you recommend me thinking with budget in mind, however I don't mind spending more if its going to yield a much greater return.

So basically I am in the market for a CPU, MoBo, HDD, and perhaps a GPU. Something that I can play titanfall on more than low would be nice :)

Aesius

How much of a performance gain would I see from installing a SSD in a ~3 year old laptop?

It's an ASUS with an Intel P6200 CPU and 3GB RAM. It was pretty fast when I bought, but it's sluggish now, even with most startup programs disabled and very few things running in the background.

Would it be worth the $65 or so for a 120 GB?

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if anyone is hesitant to buy Win 8.1 from the reddit.com/r/softwareswap , dont be. Bought one earlier, loaded up 8.1 worked flawless. Took a little getting used to but 8.1 is SNAPPY. I like it! I also imagine there are some improvements gaming wise and dx12 will need/require it. FWIW

Rainy Dog

Happened to stumble into a brand new GTX 680 for £100 which I just couldn't resist snapping up on impulse.

Will this be a solid enough upgrade over my Radeon 7850?

appaws

Banned
That's so far away :( When realistically would I even need that sort of power for single screen 1080 or 1400p gaming at 60 fps, Max settings?

I really hate planning a new rig, always something to wait for and I never know when the best time to upgrade for maximum future proofing is.

I wouldn't try to wait for skylake or even broadwell. We don't even really know that it is coming in 2015, do we? My understanding from people who are a lot more tech savvy than I am is that these process shrinks (like down to 14nm) are taking longer than expected to get rolling.

You are right, there is always something to wait for. The day whatever long awaited part comes out that everyone is talking about, like Maxwell or Skylake...there will be a roadmap pointing to something else and the internet sages will be telling everybody "it would be better to wait for _____."

Of course if we are talking about something within maybe a few or six months, then that's a different story. Maybe it's worth waiting then, but ONLY if you already have a decent gaming PC. I would tell anyone without a gaming rig to build NOW, don't wait for anything. A meteor might hit the earth next month or a dread disease might wipe us out 12 Monkeys style, and you will die without ever having the joy of modded Skyrim, or a 10-hour session of Europa Universalis without remembering to get up to urinate.

kiyomi

Went with the 290x because I wanted to take advantage of Mantle when it comes to the new Battlefield, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect (all of which I imagine will come out in the next 12 months).
Not sure I agree with that logic but if that's what you feel you need then fair enough. I just think the 270X @ £150 sits in a weird spot between the non-x 270 @ ~£125 and the GTX 760 @ £180, where both probably offer better price:performance. Still, this is your rig and I hope you enjoy it.

Also, 290X? You had the 270X listed. :p

So, as someone who currently games on a big plasma. Is it worth it moving toward a higher resolution display, even if it's a smaller screen? If so should I buy one now or wait for the next big leap in displays (4k I assume).

I feel like I'm missing out by not playing at higher resolutions when my rig can handle it.

Guffers

Try downsampling if your not already. My 780 does a great job at 1800p and it makes games look flat out beautiful on a 1080 display.

Is it a good idea to upgrade a motherboard on its own? I've asked some other questions in this thread and you guys have been very helpful. I'm now thinking of building in June (Birthday) and I want to get a 4670K but I don't think I'll have enough money to stretch for a Z87 motherboard because I will be buying a monitor as well (Dell Ultrasharp P2314H). Could I just get an H81 motherboard for now and then upgrade to a Z87 with a nice cooler in say, 6 months? I do realise that I will not be getting the full potential out of my CPU in that time but will it be substantial and can I/should I do it?

I could potentially downgrade to a cheaper Acer monitor but I do like the Dell for its adjustability and rotation.

Water

Is it a good idea to upgrade a motherboard on its own? I've asked some other questions in this thread and you guys have been very helpful. I'm now thinking of building in June (Birthday) and I want to get a 4670K but I don't think I'll have enough money to stretch for a Z87 motherboard because I will be buying a monitor as well (Dell Ultrasharp P2314H). Could I just get an H81 motherboard for now and then upgrade to a Z87 with a nice cooler in say, 6 months? I do realise that I will not be getting the full potential out of my CPU in that time but will it be substantial and can I/should I do it?

I could potentially downgrade to a cheaper Acer monitor but I do like the Dell for its adjustability and rotation.
I'm a big advocate of investing in a good display first and foremost - the rest can be upgraded.

Of course, the downside of the rest of the plan is that a mobo you don't want to stick with wastes money and time compared to directly buying the one you actually want. If you really can't stretch to getting both at the same time, I'd maybe consider getting the final motherboard first and a cheap processor to hold you over until you can afford a quadcore K and a cooler - the processors are easier to swap and sell than mobos.

Also, note that by the time you're building, Z97 motherboards and Haswell refresh processors should be out. You might be able to e.g. go with the new unlocked dualcore Pentium and get a fast enough setup to actually stay on. Or find a good deal on Z87+4670K when they are nominally superceded by the new stuff.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Would you say this is fine for overclocking my Intel Core I7-2600K 3400MZ Processor? and how much can I boost it up with this?

I plan to do that as well getting myself a 4TB Disk Hard Drive and a Samsung SSD, as well as thinking of getting a new monitor and then upgrading my GPU later in the year, so it's mainly just upgrading a few areas to keep my gaming performing at 1080p on Ultra with high AA at 60 FPS. Would that cooling fan be efficient enoughl?

Also, note that by the time you're building, Z97 motherboards and Haswell refresh processors should be out. You might be able to e.g. go with the new unlocked dualcore Pentium and get a fast enough setup to actually stay on. Or find a good deal on Z87+4670K when they are nominally superceded by the new stuff.

Really looking for a quad core i5 ideally because I'll be using it as a development machine for Visual Studio and Unreal Engine development.

With the refreshed versions of the i5 4440/4670K, would the refresh be something I should be looking towards in terms of price (the same?) and performance? I assume the performance will be higher but by how much.
If the performance gain is enough to for it to be worth it, I might just go with the refreshed i5 4440 with a Z97 Motherboard and wait for Broadwell to get a K series.
Otherwise, an old Z87+4670K may do me better in terms of price to performance ratio.
What do you think?

Water

Really looking for a quad core i5 ideally because I'll be using it as a development machine for Visual Studio and Unreal Engine development.

With the refreshed versions of the i5 4440/4670K, would the refresh be something I should be looking towards in terms of price (the same?) and performance? I assume the performance will be higher but by how much.
If the performance gain is enough to for it to be worth it, I might just go with the refreshed i5 4440 with a Z97 Motherboard and wait for Broadwell to get a K series.
Otherwise, an old Z87+4670K may do me better in terms of price to performance ratio.
What do you think?
The refresh is apparently just +100MHz across the board, essentially meaningless. Only the K models might get a decent boost, like +15%. Even that is not guaranteed stock performance, but potential for higher overclocks due to better TIM. Broadwell-K release date is unknown, but I doubt Intel is in much of a hurry when they have Haswell-E to push to enthusiasts.

If you can get a good enough deal on 4670K+Z87 to get them directly, that's almost certainly going to be your best bet. Another choice would be to abandon the ideas of both overclocking and later upgrading, get a cheap non-Z mobo, and spend the rest on the fastest non-K processor you can afford, such as a 4770, 4790 or an equivalent Xeon, whatever you can find a deal on. For compiling, they'll actually be close to an overclocked 4670K due to the larger caches.

TheBear

Hi guys, I just bought a 290 and connected it upto to my monitor and it worked fine. I then connected it via HDMI to my new TV (Panasonic S60) and I'm not getting a signal. As a sanity check, I tried different HDMI cables, and I also tried plugging it into my other TV (samsung plasma) and it didn't work on that either. It most definitely works and is operating on my monitor.
It's also weird because a few months ago I had to RMA a 7970 because of the exact same problem. I thought getting a new TV might fix the problem but it hasn't.
Also, my 560ti works fine on both TV's. can anyone help here, this is seriously frustrating.

Gumbie

Cross posting from Buy/sell/trade thread in case anyone is interested

Gumbie said:
Selling a pair of Gigabyte WindForce 3X 450W 2GB 770 GTXs. These are the cards only, no accessories or cables.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

If anyone is interested I can send pics of the actual cards.

I'll sell separately for $280 shipped or $540 for both ($20 discount for buying them as a pair)

Also selling Sapphire 290X Tri-X OC 4GB for $500 shipped.

rager

Banned
Can someone recommend a reasonably priced video card. I am not for paying 500 dollars for a video card. I don't need 100 fps. I just want at least 60fps with 1080p.

looking to spend no more than $250

If you can get a good enough deal on 4670K+Z87 to get them directly, that's almost certainly going to be your best bet. Another choice would be to abandon the ideas of both overclocking and later upgrading, get a cheap non-Z mobo, and spend the rest on the fastest non-K processor you can afford, such as a 4770, 4790 or an equivalent Xeon, whatever you can find a deal on. For compiling, they'll actually be close to an overclocked 4670K due to the larger caches.

Sounds good! I think I'll go for either the 4670K+Z87 or go non-K H81 and upgrade later. I guess in the end it will all be down to budget and what I can find at at the time. Hopefully I can find a good deal on the 4670K because while it is a development machine, I do play my fair share of games haha. I'll be sure to post what I get when I build! Thanks for the help!

Hi guys, I just bought a 290 and connected it upto to my monitor and it worked fine. I then connected it via HDMI to my new TV (Panasonic S60) and I'm not getting a signal. As a sanity check, I tried different HDMI cables, and I also tried plugging it into my other TV (samsung plasma) and it didn't work on that either. It most definitely works and is operating on my monitor.
It's also weird because a few months ago I had to RMA a 7970 because of the exact same problem. I thought getting a new TV might fix the problem but it hasn't.
Also, my 560ti works fine on both TV's. can anyone help here, this is seriously frustrating.

look into the card's jack and make sure it isn't broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom