• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

I have a Asus P8Z77-V motherboard and a 3570k cpu. Are you saying I would need to change the mobo? If so, forget that.

Your cpu uses LGA1155 socket. The i7 4770k is LGA1150 socket. So, yes, you would need to change the motherboard.

however, you should be paying attention to some of the responses you received, specifically mkenyon's.

Li Kao

What speeds are you getting when wired?
What's the model of the modem that you have?

On the wired front I'm not complaining, I tested the lounge PC at 2.70mb/s today.
The model is more problematic, it is the last modem from French ISP Orange but I have no clue about which manufacturer is behind it.
That's the one (sorry for the French, but the technical details should be self-explanatory) : http://liveboxplay.orange.fr/fiche_tech_play.html

mkenyon

Banned
On the wired front I'm not complaining, I tested the lounge PC at 2.70mb/s today.
The model is more problematic, it is the last modem from French ISP Orange but I have no clue about which manufacturer is behind it.
That's the one (sorry for the French, but the technical details should be self-explanatory) : http://liveboxplay.orange.fr/fiche_tech_play.html
There's the issue. They mandate that the modem have 6 weeks paid vacation and 35 hour work weeks, so it drops tons of packets.

:p

(I know extremely little about networking, knitoe is a wireless guru)

XJF

What's a good Blu-Ray burner?
Is there a discernable performance difference between External and Internal disc drives?
I'm open to extern or internal suggestions. Internal would have to fit a 3.5" bay.

knitoe

That's the crazy thing. The old modem and the new one have the same wi-fi issue. I used the old one for years to transfer data from one floor to the other... and in this apartment the signal can't even pass ten meters ?
I had hope the new modem would fix the problem as it's a relatively new model from my ISP, but so far I just had the great pleasure to see a 1.5go download on Vita be estimated at 100 hours !

The new modem characteristics seemed good though :-(
WiFi dual band
2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
5 GHz IEEE 802.11 a/n
4 full routed GigaEthernet ports

@knitoe
Yup, if this wasn't already apparent I'm a noob in this domain. So you are saying that I can change the signal frequency myself and that there will be less interferences. Will it further the signal too ? Streaming was a real part of my ideal setup and in this state I'm totally screwed. NAS, Nvidia Shield, streaming to Ipad, I can forget all of this.

The modem / router combo has 2.4 / 5 GHz frequency. If your device can, connect to the 5GHz. Generally, the different frequency have different SSID names so select / enter the name for the 5GHz during the device setup. Definitely, the Nvidia Shield can connect to the 5GHz. The Vita can't due to only 2.4 GHz capability.

Also, mostly modem / router combo from the ISP are crap. It's better to get your own modem and a separate router. Are you paying monthly and renting the modem / router from your ISP?

Delt31

NoRéN;108398388 said:
Your cpu uses LGA1155 socket. The i7 4770k is LGA1150 socket. So, yes, you would need to change the motherboard.

however, you should be paying attention to some of the responses you received, specifically mkenyon's.

thanks guys. def not changing then.

Smokey

Steelseries Rival is the correct choice.

We need to play together. I think I'm ranked 4 star or AK, something scrubby. I've got a group of pals on mumble, we could combine forces for full 5 man.

I'm pretty terrible right now, but I just got back into it last week. I got ranked yesterday at Silver Master Elite. I'm getting back into CS shape though. Hardest part was weaning myself off of modern FPS tendencies...mainly aiming down sights. I'm past that now and doing much better.

And I really want the Rival...but I feel like the drivers would cause my PC to destruct.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm pretty terrible right now, but I just got back into it last week. I got ranked yesterday at Silver Master Elite. I'm getting back into CS shape though. Hardest part was weaning myself off of modern FPS tendencies...mainly aiming down sights. I'm past that now and doing much better.

And I really want the Rival...but I feel like the drivers would cause my PC to destruct.
Playing tonight?
Always go for the latest CPU is possible though, you'll be fine with Ivy Bridge but you should have gone Haswell/Z87.
Ehhhhh..... not much benefit to Haswell outside of emulation. I still prefer the Z77/Ivy platform personally.

Tablo

That reminds me: the CODE keyboard is by far the best-looking backlit keyboard I've seen. If I was in the US, I'd grab one the second they are in stock (tenkeyless & clear switches, of course). It doesn't just look fantastic, but also has WASD's hardware-level settings that would be a huge deal for me.
(They do ship to my side of the globe, but with about $100 in shipping costs, taxes and customs duties, it's not exactly an impulse purchase anymore.)
I seriously don't think the Rapid-i is going to be cheap enough and good enough that it's worth waiting for, instead of just getting the CODE.
Wow those look amazing, expensive too! Too bad there aren't browns. Not sure how I feel about more stiffness.

KJRS_1993

You should go for low profile RAM like this, because I'm almost sure, that those sticks won't fit under your Hyper 212 CPU cooler. Also, I'm not sure about the Corsair CX PSU. I often get the feeling, that people in this thread, don't like it.

Cheers, I'll check out the low profile ones. Apparently the CPU cooler is pretty big, or so I've been told.
The reviews on Amazon are pretty good on the power supply, averaging 4 and a half out of 500, so I think I feel pretty safe going for it.

Li Kao

The modem / router combo has 2.4 / 5 GHz frequency. If your device can, connect to the 5GHz. Generally, the different frequency have different SSID names so select / enter the name for the 5GHz during the device setup. Definitely, the Nvidia Shield can connect to the 5GHz. The Vita can't due to only 2.4 GHz capability.

Also, mostly modem / router combo from the ISP are crap. It's better to get your own modem and a separate router. Are you paying monthly and renting the modem / router from your ISP?

Cool, so I can solve the problem but some hardwares won't detect the signal then... Just for information, would it be possible for the modem to broadcast at 2.4 and 5Ghz at the same time ?
About the second part of your post, the modem / router is 3€ each month. I'm not against buying specialized products if the quality is better though.

Edit - Oops, a big thank you for your time guys, I would be totally lost without you. Well, there still is the support line, but it can be really hit or miss.

knitoe

Cool, so I can solve the problem but some hardwares won't detect the signal then... Just for information, would it be possible for the modem to broadcast at 2.4 and 5Ghz at the same time ?
About the second part of your post, the modem / router is 3€ each month. I'm not against buying specialized products if the quality is better though.

Edit - Oops, a big thank you for your time guys, I would be totally lost without you. Well, there still is the support line, but it can be really hit or miss.

If it's dual band, then, yes, it can broadcast 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time. And, instead of paying to rent inferior products, it's better to buy your own equipment. It will pay itself overtime since you aren't paying for rental cost. Just ask your ISP what modem will work on their network. You will also need to pickup a router.

Bii

Oh my....

Will my Crucial Ballistix Tactical memory fit under my CM 212 Evo?? Or do I need low profile?

What motherboard do you have?

I have a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H with a CM 212 EVO and the same RAM and the RAM slot closest to the heat sink does not fit underneath the CM 212 EVO, but it doesn't need to since there's enough clearance/distance from the fan on the heatsink in relation to the seated RAM.

In any case, you can always move/raise the fan a bit away from the RAM if you can't fit it.

mkenyon

Banned
Will the sleeved corsair AX series cables fit a Seasonic X750?
Nope.
Boo this man! Baller build! RoG extreme! Delid! Water!

And hit me up for some at cost sleeving.
Hey hey, I didn't say DON'T do it. I just said to only go that route if they are delidding.

Also, I've now delidded 3 procs with the vice/hammer method. It's way less scary after the first time.

*edit*

There's also a Caselabs STH10 for sale in Toronto, local pickup. Saw it on OCN. You should go big before you go small for good.

Li Kao

If it's dual band, then, yes, it can broadcast 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time. And, instead of paying to rent inferior products, it's better to buy your own equipment. It will pay itself overtime since you aren't paying for rental cost. Just ask your ISP what modem will work on their network. You will also need to pickup a router.

Hmm, what would be a good choice of modem and of router in your opinion ?

Wired
Main PC, NAS, Media center, Consoles

Wi-Fi
NAS, Handhelds, Nvidia shield, let's throw in a wireless PC too

I don't have all this stuff, but aim for it.
Problem is, if I change the modem my ISP will fuck me and I will lose access to their internet phone service (exotic signal IIRC). But as much as I prefer wired hardwares, a wi-fi signal this lousy defeat the purpose of a good part of my project.
To be clear, a connected environment is a thing that have interested me for some years now. And now that I have the chance to build it, I see that the bare minimum is not met in my home. Hence the posts maybe a little vague.

knitoe

Wired

Wi-Fi

Problem is, if I change the modem my ISP will fuck me and I will lose access to their internet phone service (exotic signal IIRC). But as much as I prefer wired hardwares, a wi-fi signal this lousy defeat the purpose of a good part of my project.
To be clear, a connected environment is a thing that have interested me for some years now. And now that I have the chance to build it, I see that the bare minimum is not met in my home. Hence the posts maybe a little vague.

For the modem, contact your ISP. They should be able to tell you which one are compatible to buy. Some of them have internet phone service so you can continue to have that service. As for which router, depends on your budget. Then, google for indepth reviews and comparisons.

Kiru

How is warranty handled if you would buy a used graphics card, let's say nvidia ? Can you still RMA with some sort of serial number on the card ?
Missed out on a 780 Ti by Gigabyte with the windforce cooler for 470€, nearly new, but the guy lost his receipt whatever. :/

mkenyon

Banned
How is warranty handled if you would buy a used graphics card, let's say nvidia ? Can you still RMA with some sort of serial number on the card ?
Missed out on a 780 Ti by Gigabyte with the windforce cooler for 470€, nearly new, but the guy lost his receipt whatever. :/
They do it based on serial #. It's a 3 year warranty, no matter the owner.

Einbroch

Banned
Got my 770 (upgraded from 570), new PSU, and overclocked my 2500K to 4.4Ghz and ran all the tests, seems to be doing great.

awholenewworld.wav

Einbroch

Banned
Awesome! I bet games are feeling like butter now.

Yeah, what was happening before was I was near-maxing everything and my framerate would stutter, then I'd lower the settings and not be pleased with the results, so I'd go back to the usually-smooth-but-every-ten-seconds-it'd-hiccup setting.

Now it's all gravy.

Edit: And an SSD, too.

Tablo

Wired

Wi-Fi

NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 or maybe that new Linksys WRT AC router?
I have the former works great, but the Linksys is better specced/newer, and just seems beefier and better designed for heavy use.

Ashhong

What motherboard do you have?

I have a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H with a CM 212 EVO and the same RAM and the RAM slot closest to the heat sink does not fit underneath the CM 212 EVO, but it doesn't need to since there's enough clearance/distance from the fan on the heatsink in relation to the seated RAM.

In any case, you can always move/raise the fan a bit away from the RAM if you can't fit it.

I've got an Asus z87-A. I only have 2 sticks so I don't need the closest slot, at least for now.

How can you move or raise the fan, isn't it's position locked into the mobo?

kennah

I've got an Asus z87-A. I only have 2 sticks so I don't need the closest slot, at least for now.

How can you move or raise the fan, isn't it's position locked into the mobo?

The fan is attached with clips. You can easily offset it a little higher on the heat sink to allow some ram clearance.

Can somebody explain to me how my stock GPU settings get a better Furmark score than my OC settings?

It's a GTX 760 with an offset of 82 MHz and a memory offset of 420 MHz.

Oxn

Need help configuring my sound!!!

Ok, so my front headphone jacks DO NOT work.

I bought a USB device that has a headphone and mic port so that i can plug in my headphones when i dont want to use the speakers.

Problem is that when I unplug my headphones from the USB device, shouldnt it automatically start using the Speakers again?

Right now, when ever i want to use speakers or headphones on my usb device, I have to keep going into the settings and changing it back and forth.

Is there a way it can automatically switch to speakers when I unplug my headphones?

Leibniz

Is GTX 580 to GTX 770 a worthy upgrade? Or should I aim for GTX 780 (if so, I'd most likely wait for GTX 880 to come out and see how it performs).

kiyomi

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard : Asus H81M-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £39.64
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

@ £540

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3sLKJ

Can someone let me know if this is a good build for the price or not?
About to buy it, and just want to make sure from people smarter than me that it's sound!

I made a few changes for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£128.43 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£39.64 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£52.30 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£169.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.76 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.12 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £546.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 22:26 BST+0100)

I'm not even sure you need the CPU cooler since you won't be overclocking, but whatevah. Keep it in there if you like things to be nice and cool.

Oxn

So my used 780 came in the mail today.

WoW on Ultra, in 1440p, is 50FPS in the crowded city. Not badddd.

I was not aware Skyrim looked so much better from High to Ultra, and locked at 60fps.

Boy was my 6870 holding me back. And its so much quieter too.

Im ready for Dark souls II

mkenyon

Banned
Can somebody explain to me how my stock GPU settings get a better Furmark score than my OC settings?

It's a GTX 760 with an offset of 82 MHz and a memory offset of 420 MHz.
Only overclock Kepler cards in increments of 13.

Refer to this chart:

646eb94f_OC-Table.png

You're probably getting artifacts from not enough volts/power, or stuff not staying cool enough. Try more volts.
Is GTX 580 to GTX 770 a worthy upgrade? Or should I aim for GTX 780 (if so, I'd most likely wait for GTX 880 to come out and see how it performs).
It's like 20-25% IIRC. 780 is much more worthy.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
GAF, this probably isn't the greatest place to ask about integrated graphics, but I wanted to give it a shot.

I recently updated to the most recent driver on my Win 8.1, i5 HD 4000 equipped, Samsung laptop (10.18.10.3496).

Problem is, after upgrading I've been experiencing these contrast flashes. The contrast will flicker to high contrast, then reset soon after to the normal contrast. It's infuriating, and it happens system wide.

Google and the research that I've done hasn't resulted in any fix so far, so I was wondering if any of you have experienced something like this.

Do you guys have any ideas outside of reverting the driver?

Only overclock Kepler cards in increments of 13.

You're probably getting artifacts from not enough volts/power, or stuff not staying cool enough. Try more volts.

It's not going above 58 degrees, and I don't think that's all that hot.

It's odd, it sticks at 37 FPS seemingly no matter what I do. Any ideas why that would be?

Here's my Precision settings:

zl4pEtS.jpg

KJRS_1993

I made a few changes for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£128.43 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£39.64 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£52.30 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£169.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.76 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.12 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £546.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 22:26 BST+0100)

I'm not even sure you need the CPU cooler since you won't be overclocking, but whatevah. Keep it in there if you like things to be nice and cool.

Thanks for the recommendations man, I really appreciate all the help I can get.
Is their any difference between the Corsair and the Patriot RAM?
And what difference is there in the Radeon R9 270X and GTX 760?
Sorry about the silly questions!

mkenyon

Banned
It's not going above 58 degrees, and I don't think that's all that hot.

It's odd, it sticks at 37 FPS seemingly no matter what I do. Any ideas why that would be?

Here's my Precision settings:

zl4pEtS.jpg
Bring memory back down to stock, work up core clock more. Try to see what frequency it's hitting during the benchmark.

Bring memory back down to stock, work up core clock more. Try to see what frequency it's hitting during the benchmark.

I put the core up to 117 and here are my Furmark results:

2SsKNGq.jpg

It never said it went above 966MHz during the benchmark.

Also thank you for the help, I'm pretty new to overclocking in general.

mkenyon

Banned
I put the core up to 117 and here are my Furmark results:

2SsKNGq.jpg

It never said it went above 966MHz during the benchmark.

Also thank you for the help, I'm pretty new to overclocking in general.
TBH, I'm unfamiliar with the Furmark benchmark. Try running 3DMark Firestrike or Uningine Heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom