• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLAguy954

Aren't most laptop CPUs soldered to the motherboard, though?

Only ultrabooks and netbooks. Most normal form-factor laptops (the ones that are thick enough to uninstall the dvd drive) have upgradeable CPU sockets (although the vendor BIOS lottery is very bad in the laptop world).

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;108453903 said:
Looking to sell a set of Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2x4gb) RAM.

Hopefully mkenyon can vouch for my dependability and quick shipping. :)

PM if interested.
THIS MEMORY CHANGED MY LIFE

And arrived two days after buying, packaged better than if it came from Newegg or Amazon.

If someone needs some RAM, buy this. Srs.

scogoth

I apoligize, I am in drunken stupor (its a canadian thing) and exams are done now (also a canadian thing ending early).
Something about hardline copper and moneyz on watercooling. Add $1OO for sleevinging too. PM me delivery may

EDItL whats good about tactical crucial ballistics?

editEDIT: YOUS my family love youall

DTKT

Handy guide to troubleshooting soft ATI drivers crashes? I built a computer for a friend of mine and the 270x has been acting up. It seems that the display driver is crashing and recovering which causes any game/movie to exit. It also happens when he's watching movies on Netflix which I assume also uses the GPU for rendering.

So far, I've tried updating the drivers and lowering the clocks in Catalyst Overdrive. It seems to help and its been stable so far.

My main concern is the PSU failing to provide enough power. Which would seem strange since the build us fairly tame in terms of components. Its a i3-4330, a 270x and a 500W EvgaBronze. I assume that it can also be the GPU going bad.

Aesius

Only ultrabooks and netbooks. Most normal form-factor laptops (the ones that are thick enough to uninstall the dvd drive) have upgradeable CPU sockets (although the vendor BIOS lottery is very bad in the laptop world).

Is there any way to check the BIOS to verify if it will support a different CPU?

The ASUS website says my exact laptop works with CPUs up to the i5 540M, but I'd hate to buy it, install it, and then not be able to boot or something.

nick nacc

Banned
So i was building a computer for my boss and this kid shuffles on over to me and touches the motherboard. I heard a pop. I scold him out loud so multiple people could hear waht just happened. Jesus what a dumbass. It was a 1600 build. I am not sure I am not correctly pluggin in sata cables, cus not more than one hard drive is showing up in the bios. I hope he didn't fuck up the sata ports. It's terribly inconsistant in drive detection now.

NoRéN

THIS MEMORY CHANGED MY LIFE

And arrived two days after buying, packaged better than if it came from Newegg or Amazon.

If someone needs some RAM, buy this. Srs.
Aww. I told you it would be better than simply downloading more ram.
I apoligize, I am in drunken stupor (its a canadian thing) and exams are done now (also a canadian thing ending early).
Something about hardline copper and moneyz on watercooling. Add $1OO for sleevinging too. PM me delivery may

Ahahaha. I thinks I would be the only one drinking in a Wednesday night.

Ashhong

So I bought the Corsair CX600M earlier today for 45, and now this Cooler Master one pops up. Should I pay $15 more and get this one instead?

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 - 620W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification and Modular Cables

Last question i promise :p

FLAguy954

I'm almost there guys, just an i5 purchase left to go!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($201.39)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $36.00)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $130.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $50.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $162.00)
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $50.00)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $629.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-17 02:48 EDT-0400)

Is there any way to check the BIOS to verify if it will support a different CPU?

The ASUS website says my exact laptop works with CPUs up to the i5 540M, but I'd hate to buy it, install it, and then not be able to boot or something.

I did a fairly extensive Google search and others with the same Pentium have upgraded to the i5 540M, although these were Dells, HP, and Toshiba laptops. I also found confirmation that you do have a socketed processor and also some warnings to not upgrade past the i5 (aka don't get an i7 as that is beyond your motherboard's power envelop). Unfortunately I could not find any info on ASUS website about CPU support through the BIOS, as the descriptions on the sight were very vague. I feel there is a good chance the processor will work though, given you update your BIOS to the latest version.

Silly question perhaps, but if I need to RMA my PSU, would I have to send it back in the original box with all the supplied cables and whatnot?

Bleepey

PC DRM is bullshit. I redeemed by MK Arcade Kollection code and it seems I can't play the game cos of GFWL. It seems if I wanna play games I paid for I have to pirate it. Fucking bullshit.

NoRéN

Goddamn, mkenyon. Took a peek at that nvidia 880 thread, how do you handle that shit?

I guess I would scare people with how much I've spent on my hobby of restoring a 1970 cutlass supreme. :)

LilJoka

So I tried turning C1E off, giving it a set voltage of 1.4v and upping the Vdrop compensation and
all I got was a bunch of 9c BSODs :(
Trying with offset but with no C1E also gave be nothing (could not even get past POST with some of the settings).

What are your RAM settings? 9C bsod is not always Vcore related.
Ram speed, ram voltage, ram primary timings?
Vtt voltage?

The idle voltage doesn't drop using fixed vcore so it will be higher, use the load line calibration to get the load voltage as close to the idle voltage but not over it.

appaws

Banned

Haha. Love drunk posting.

Congrats on the exams being done. Other than adding a beautiful new component to your rig, no better feeling.

TheD

The Detective
What are your RAM settings? 9C bsod is not always Vcore related.
Ram speed, ram voltage, ram primary timings?
Vtt voltage?

The idle voltage doesn't drop using fixed vcore so it will be higher, use the load line calibration to get the load voltage as close to the idle voltage but not over it.

RAM is just DDR3 1333 at the standard timings (CAS 9, tRCD 9, tRP 9, tRAS 24), but I did just find out that my stupid motherboard ignores the rated voltage for the RAM and runs it at 1.59V instead of 1.5V.

TheBear

Can anyone help me out with connecting my 780?
The 780 is 8 pins. I only have 7 pins from my PSU, which doesnt supply enough power to run the card. Inthe box were two cables though with 8 pins to connect. I tried using 4 pins from the PCI marked connection and the other using the cables out of the box but it still didn't work. Is there anyway I can my PSU to connect to this card (Seasonic 500W btw)
Here's some photos which might make a bit more sense:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10259766_10154063691515301_8342734692617957553_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1379930_10154063691520301_6945729025336245196_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1536646_10154063691510301_8749920473150120865_n.jpg

Would really appreciate if someone could me out here, I've been tearing my hair out the last couple of days trying to get a new GPU up and running

Cheers!

EDIT: It's and M12II Seasonic 500w PSU. apparently it has enough juice to run this card

LilJoka

RAM is just DDR3 1333 at the standard timings (CAS 9, tRCD 9, tRP 9, tRAS 24), but I did just find out that my stupid motherboard ignores the rated voltage for the RAM and runs it at 1.59V instead of 1.5V.

Set your multiplier to x44, leave everything else as is. Get into windows and report back the load vcore on CPUz

Can anyone help me out with connecting my 780?
The 780 is 8 pins. I only have 7 pins from my PSU, which doesnt supply enough power to run the card. Inthe box were two cables though with 8 pins to connect. I tried using 4 pins from the PCI marked connection and the other using the cables out of the box but it still didn't work. Is there anyway I can my PSU to connect to this card (Seasonic 500W btw)
Here's some photos which might make a bit more sense:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10259766_10154063691515301_8342734692617957553_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1379930_10154063691520301_6945729025336245196_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1536646_10154063691510301_8749920473150120865_n.jpg

Would really appreciate if someone could me out here, I've been tearing my hair out the last couple of days trying to get a new GPU up and running

Cheers!

EDIT: It's and M12II Seasonic 500w PSU. apparently it has enough juice to run this card

Your PSU can have either 6 or 8 pin connectors, 7 pin connectors don't exist. Your first picture is showing a 6+2 pin connector (edit3: the right one of the two that are on there, the other one is a 6 pin), which is the one you need for your GPU.
That specific 780 also needs 2 8 pin connections, i.e. if your PSU doesn't have a second 6+2 pin connector (it most definitely doesn't) you'll need to use molex or SATA cables for the adapter that's included in the box to get that second 8 pin connector.
Please don't try to mix things, i.e. don't use 4 pins from the PSU's PCI-e connector (how is that even possible? You can either use 6, 8 or 2) and 4 from some adapter.

Edit: Maybe you can do another image showing the PCI-e adapters that came in the GPU box (i.e. the black things in the third image), I'm not quite sure how many pins each of them have.

Edit2: Just btw. the PSU is pretty old as far as I know and it has a combined 420W on the 12V rails. You might wanna post the rest of your setup just to make sure (and also how old that PSU actually is) that it actually has enough juice.

TheBear

Your PSU can have either 6 or 8 pin connectors, 7 pin connectors don't exist. Your first picture is showing a 6+2 pin connector, which is the one you need for your GPU.
That specific 780 also needs 2 8 pin connections, i.e. if your PSU doesn't have a second 6+2 pin connector (it most definitely doesn't) you'll need to use molex or SATA cables for the adapter that's included in the box to get that second 8 pin connector.
Please don't try to mix things, i.e. don't use 4 pins from the PSU's PCI-e connector (how is that even possible? You can either use 6, 8 or 2) and 4 from some adapter.

Edit: Maybe you can do another image showing the PCI-e adapters that came in the GPU box (i.e. the black things in the third image), I'm not quite sure how many pins each of them have.

Edit2: Just btw. the PSU is pretty old as far as I know and it has a combined 420W on the 12V rails. You might wanna post the rest of your setup just to make sure (and also how old that PSU actually is) that it actually has enough juice.

They have 8 pins on each. So I can just connect the molex from the PSU to the GPU?
The PSU is currently has a PCI-E connection at both ends

They have 8 pins on each. So I can just connect the molex from the PSU to the GPU?
The PSU is currently has a PCI-E connection at both ends

Yeah pretty much. Just use 2 molex connectors for one of these adapters, you won't need the second adapter (as your PSU already has one 8 pin PCIe connector).

I'm not quite sure though what you mean with that last sentence ("The PSU..." etc.) ^^

TheBear

Yeah pretty much. Just use 2 molex connectors for one of these adapters, you won't need the second adapter (as your PSU already has one 8 pin PCIe connector).

I'm not quite sure though what you mean with that last sentence ("The PSU..." etc.) ^^

The current connection from the PSU is two 6 pin PCI-E connectors to a 6 and 6+2 connection.
So are you saying I can use one of the molex adapters along with the original 6+2 connector? Sorry if this doesn't make sense :S

TheBear

Yepp, this :)

This worked, thank you.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the 780 doesn't work with my TV either. This is impossible. I don't even know where to begin. I've tried a 7970, a 290 and now a 780 and none of them work. The only card that works is my 560ti, and it works without a hitch.
WHAT THE FUCK.

LilJoka

This worked, thank you.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the 780 doesn't work with my TV either. This is impossible. I don't even know where to begin. I've tried a 7970, a 290 and now a 780 and none of them work. The only card that works is my 560ti, and it works without a hitch.
WHAT THE FUCK.

What tv is it?
What cables are you using?
Tested gpu with another monitor?
Tested tv?

TheBear

What tv is it?
What cables are you using?
Tested gpu with another monitor?
Tested tv?

Tested on both Samsung 58C7000 and Panasonic S60 (all 3 cards)
Used 3x different HDMIv1.4 cables
All 3 GPU's worked perfectly with a monitor through DVI
TV works perfectly with old PC and 560ti, same cables and everything. Only variable is that the 560ti used a mini HDMI to HDMI converter thing.

And I've tried the Win + P trick. Doesn't work. Something really funky is going on

I don't think I can wait for whatever new stuff is coming. I feel like if I do I will be waiting forever for the next big thing. Here is what I'm thinking at the moment:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-4960X (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
Power Supply CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

My question is, will anything here screw me over in the next 2 or 3 years and force me to do a big overhaul? I would like to be reasonably future proofed. The only thing I'm thinking is maybe I should wait for the bigger memory versions of the 780 ti, which I think is fairly soon? Only gaming at 1080p at the moment but might go up to 1400p soon.

Few quick noob questions, looking to build a rig within the next 6-9 months or so.

Would waiting for black Friday and the holiday season be my best bet if I wanted to save a couple bucks or is there another prime shopping time for PC parts?
Also are there any expected leaps in technology or generational shifts expected in the short term where it would make sense to wait?

Thanks.

Tested on both Samsung 58C7000 and Panasonic S60 (all 3 cards)
Used 3x different HDMIv1.4 cables
All 3 GPU's worked perfectly with a monitor through DVI
TV works perfectly with old PC and 560ti, same cables and everything. Only variable is that the 560ti used a mini HDMI to HDMI converter thing.

And I've tried the Win + P trick. Doesn't work. Something really funky is going on

Does your PC actually recognize that there is a PC connected? Just to make you might wanna try out sth. different, say connecting the PC to the TV DVI -> HDMI adapter.

TheBear

Also, the 290 was tested and found to be running perfectly. It can't be the card, and it can't be the TV since the 560ti works. What am I missing here.

riflen

I don't think I can wait for whatever new stuff is coming. I feel like if I do I will be waiting forever for the next big thing. Here is what I'm thinking at the moment:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-4960X (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
Power Supply CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

My question is, will anything here screw me over in the next 2 or 3 years and force me to do a big overhaul? I would like to be reasonably future proofed. The only thing I'm thinking is maybe I should wait for the bigger memory versions of the 780 ti, which I think is fairly soon? Only gaming at 1080p at the moment but might go up to 1400p soon.

All anyone can do is guess, but to me it looks like nothing in the next 2-3 years will cause that system to require upgrading. Until we get a genuine PS4/XBONE/PC only game, we don't have enough info to be sure. I think Arkham Knight might be one of the earliest examples and that's got an October release. 2014 will be full of cross-generational titles still.

The 6GB 780 variants are due for release mid-April, so any time now. I'd definitely wait to see prices on them, as they're so close. There are still people who swear that 3GB VRAM will not be enough for 1080 when the real, real next-gen console ports start coming. But they've been saying that for a long time and it turns out that the PS4, for example, has use of ~5 GB of memory for games in total.

riflen

DVI does not carry sound.

Display Port does.

That's not as true as you think. Nvidia (and apparently AMD, no first-hand experience) cards can use the DVI port to deliver video and audio since the 200 series. I know because I use that feature. I have a cable that's DVI > HDMI and it carries audio to the TV just fine.

That's not as true as you think. Nvidia cards can use the DVI port to deliver video and audio since the 200 series. I know because I use that feature. I have a cable that's DVI > HDMI and it carries audio to the TV just fine.

I have a GTX690 DVI->HDMI to my TV and doing audio as well.

Kysen

That's not as true as you think. Nvidia cards can use the DVI port to deliver video and audio since the 200 series. I know because I use that feature. I have a cable that's DVI > HDMI and it carries audio to the TV just fine.

Yea I was just about to post this as i'm currently outputting everything from my dvi port(DVI-HDMI cable). Also I cant decide between a 780 and an X1. My 580 is giving me heat problems but at the same time I might want to play some X1 games in the future.

All anyone can do is guess, but to me it looks like nothing in the next 2-3 years will cause that system to require upgrading. Until we get a genuine PS4/XBONE/PC only game, we don't have enough info to be sure. I think Arkham Knight might be one of the earliest examples and that's got an October release. 2014 will be full of cross-generational titles still.

The 6GB 780 variants are due for release mid-April, so any time now. I'd definitely wait to see prices on them, as they're so close. There are still people who swear that 3GB VRAM will not be enough for 1080 when the real, real next-gen console ports start coming. But they've been saying that for a long time and it turns out that the PS4, for example, has use of ~5 GB of memory for games in total.

So if it turned out that I would need more memory on the GPUs, would there be any point in swapping just one out? I'm assuming I would need to do both to not have the 3GB be a bottleneck but I have never done anything SLI before.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I'm planning to build a new PC towards the end of the summer, just wondering should I stick with Windows 7 or should I upgrade to Windows 8?

I'm planning to build a new PC towards the end of the summer, just wondering should I stick with Windows 7 or should I upgrade to Windows 8?

Upgrade to Windows 8, you can use it pretty much the same as 7, but will have some improvements, better performance in some games, possibility for new DirectX and it will be supported for longer.

riflen

So if it turned out that I would need more memory on the GPUs, would there be any point in swapping just one out? I'm assuming I would need to do both to not have the 3GB be a bottleneck but I have never done anything SLI before.

Correct. You would have to replace both.

kennah

Looks like my wife has basically the exact same laptop (K42F). Going to try to get my hands on a 540M and try it out myself.

Once the ~5GB memory was found out for PS4 I think 6GB wont be needed for at least 2-3 years and by that time we will have mid range GPUs that can actually make use of the memory.

riflen

Once the ~5GB memory was found out for PS4 I think 6GB wont be needed for at least 2-3 years and by that time we will have mid range GPUs that can actually make use of the memory.

I find this a sensible proposition. Yes, Sony will likely make improvements to the OS memory footprint, as they did quite dramatically with PS3, but that takes time. As you say, by then, baseline GPU specs will have moved on considerably too.

Jafku

Quick question folks, for the money could I build a better PC than this?
http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW-b-Destroyer-GTX-750-Ti-94p1999.htm

I've been pricing up individual parts and I can't get near this(£600) is the closest I'm getting down to. Now I know this isn't a beast by any shape or form but I do feel its a decent upgrade on my current machine (i3 @3.3GHz 4gb ram R7 240 2gb) and would also sit well with my budget.

Thoughts appreciated.
What is your budget?

Aesius

Looks like my wife has basically the exact same laptop (K42F). Going to try to get my hands on a 540M and try it out myself.

Nice! Yeah, I actually just bought a 540M on eBay for $25. Eager to see if it works. Seems like it would be a pretty decent upgrade for the price!

SHADES

What is your budget?

£550-£600 max tbh, all I want to do with it is play DayZ at a reasonable quality & draw distance and nothing more, I know for that budget I won't get a lot but it's either upgrade my current PC or pick up something like in the link as I've already spent out this year on PS4/XB1 and my better half thinks I've spent enough already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom