• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

£550-£600 max tbh, all I want to do with it is play DayZ at a reasonable quality & draw distance and nothing more, I know for that budget I won't get a lot but it's either upgrade my current PC or pick up something like in the link as I've already spent out this year on PS4/XB1 and my better half thinks I've spent enough already.

What socket is your current i3?

Jafku

£550-£600 max tbh, all I want to do with it is play DayZ at a reasonable quality & draw distance and nothing more, I know for that budget I won't get a lot but it's either upgrade my current PC or pick up something like in the link as I've already spent out this year on PS4/XB1 and my better half thinks I've spent enough already.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3tmxb
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£128.43 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£72.86 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.07 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£64.46 @ PC World Business)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card (£154.99 @ Novatech)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.76 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £557.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-17 16:30 BST+0100)
How about this? Ram is two sticks for dual channel, better video card, more storage. I am iffy on the PSU tbh. As for windows, you can go to reddit.com/r/softwareswap for Windows 8.1 for $10-20.

LilJoka

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£72.86 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.07 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£64.46 @ PC World Business)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.76 @ Amazon UK)
How about this? Ram is two sticks for dual channel, better video card, more storage. I am iffy on the PSU tbh. As for windows, you can go to reddit.com/r/softwareswap for Windows 8.1 for $10-20.

Good rig, will get more fps than the rig i made, but this rig is pretty tiny =P Also Wifi on board if you need that? PSU is also solid, will run a GTX 760 on that, probably even a 770.
7hUTyVN.jpg

SHADES

Thanks, having never build a rig before (though I would really like to give it a go) with all that you listed are there any idea extra's or if I buy all that you listed all I'd need to do was assembly it? Apologies for the noob questions.

Jafku

Thanks, having never build a rig before (though I would really like to give it a go) with all that you listed are there any idea extra's or if I buy all that you listed all I'd need to do was assembly it? Apologies for the noob questions.
Well this is of course assuming you have mouse, keyboard, monitor. If you do then ll you would need to do is assemble it. There are people here who can help you if you get stuck or have questions.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't think I can wait for whatever new stuff is coming. I feel like if I do I will be waiting forever for the next big thing. Here is what I'm thinking at the moment:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-4960X (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
Power Supply CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

My question is, will anything here screw me over in the next 2 or 3 years and force me to do a big overhaul? I would like to be reasonably future proofed. The only thing I'm thinking is maybe I should wait for the bigger memory versions of the 780 ti, which I think is fairly soon? Only gaming at 1080p at the moment but might go up to 1400p soon.
Why the 1200W PSU and RIVE Black Edition? Why the 4960X over the 4930K?

Haswell-E should be out in a few months. The 5820K will be $300-400, 6 cores. The 5930K will be $500-600, 8 cores. The platform will be using DDR4 memory as well.

SHADES

Well this is of course assuming you have mouse, keyboard, monitor. If you do then ll you would need to do is assemble it. There are people here who can help you if you get stuck or have questions.

Yeah I already have M/KB & monitor guess I meant do I have to buy any extra harnesses/cables etc when building or is it all basically plug & play?

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Ashhong

So I bought the Corsair CX600M earlier today for 45, and now this Cooler Master one pops up. Should I pay $15 more and get this one instead?

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 - 620W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification and Modular Cables

Last question i promise :p

Hi :D

scogoth

Haswell-E should be out in a few months. The 5820K will be $300-400, 6 cores. The 5930K will be $500-600, 8 cores. The platform will be using DDR4 memory as well.

Because blacking out the regular is a pain in the ass. I can't believe after I did that the black edition came out and then after that ASUS introduced black/gold.

Tablo

Super important, please be patient and wait for Haswell-E!!!
Trust us it is well worth it!!!

What is the reason to not go with those things?

Also, will Haswell-E be worth getting at first or are people just going to tell me to wait for improvements on it?

Jafku

Yeah I already have M/KB & monitor guess I meant do I have to buy any extra harnesses/cables etc when building or is it all basically plug & play?

Thanks again for answering my questions.

It should be plug and play. You shouldn't need anything extra. Also post your whole rig. It may be cheaper to just upgrade a few parts as these guys said

SHADES

What is the whole rig?
There is no point upgrading everything, you can just build an ivy bridge rig with a beast GPU.

Current- i3 2120 @3.3GHz (1155) 4gb ram R7 240 2gb 300w PSU so I that's cpu,gpu,ram,PSU for definite.

You can save yourself a lot of money and get something significantly better by just upgrading what you already have... 1155 is more than competitive.
yeah I've been toying with this idea also but both seem to be reaching similar ballpark figures.

It should be plug and play. You shouldn't need anything extra. Also post your whole rig. It may be cheaper to just upgrade a few parts as these guys said

Ok thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
What is the reason to not go with those things?

Also, will Haswell-E be worth getting at first or are people just going to tell me to wait for improvements on it?
The RIVE BE is intended for LN2 as well as people who are willing to pay a huge premium for aesthetics. In terms of actual game performance, you would notice zero difference between those choices and something like a $150 Z87 motherboard and a 4770K.

This is the type of person that gets a RIVE-BE:

FEHkKT1.jpg

HA6Qjnc.jpg

r2wVnGp.jpg

Additionally, the 4960X is basically a 4930K with a slightly increased out-of-the-box frequency. Clock for clock, there's no difference. $400 premium for a slight clock speed increase that won't matter as soon as you start overclocking.

Most importantly, the major reason to go with an enthusiast socket (2011) over consumer socket (1150) is for 40 PCI-E lanes. The reason why one would want that is to run 3-4 way SLI/Crossfire. However, even in that case, you can get a consumer socket board with a PLX chip which multiplies PCI-E lanes to overcome the limitation of the 1150 processors.

I can't tell you if Haswell-E is going to be amazing or not. It should be good, but DDR4 prices might make it prohibitively expensive.

mkenyon

Banned
If you're itching to build now, here's an alternative that saves you money to spend on things like G-Sync displays or 30" IPS 4K monitors:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($62.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($454.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($239.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2891.66
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-17 12:36 EDT-0400)

LilJoka

Current- i3 2120 @3.3GHz (1155) 4gb ram R7 240 2gb 300w PSU so I that's cpu,gpu,ram,PSU for definite.

yeah I've been toying with this idea also but both seem to be reaching similar ballpark figures.

Ok thanks.

What motherboard?
4GB Ram? What speed, is this 1 or 2 modules?
Which case have you got?

The RIVE BE is intended for LN2 as well as people who are willing to pay a huge premium for aesthetics. In terms of actual game performance, you would notice zero difference between those choices and something like a $150 Z87 motherboard and a 4770K.

This is the type of person that gets a RIVE-BE:

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/FEHkKT1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/HA6Qjnc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/r2wVnGp.jpg[/IMG]

Additionally, the 4960X is basically a 4930K with a slightly increased out-of-the-box frequency. Clock for clock, there's no difference. $400 premium for a slight clock speed increase that won't matter as soon as you start overclocking.

Most importantly, the major reason to go with an enthusiast socket (2011) over consumer socket (1150) is for 40 PCI-E lanes. The reason why one would want that is to run 3-4 way SLI/Crossfire. However, even in that case, you can get a consumer socket board with a PLX chip which multiplies PCI-E lanes to overcome the limitation of the 1150 processors.

I can't tell you if Haswell-E is going to be amazing or not. It should be good, but DDR4 prices might make it prohibitively expensive.

Thanks for the info! So would switching to a 4770k and a Gigabyte Z87X be a better choice? I would probably OC the CPU to 4.4 or so.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the info! So would switching to a 4770k and a Gigabyte Z87X be a better choice? I would probably OC the CPU to 4.4 or so.
Yep. Motherboard choice is a tossup between Maximus VI Hero, MSI MPower, and Gigabyte Z87X-OC. They're all great.

Change PSU down to Seasonic 1000W. Add in a Creative SB-Zx.

With the extra budget room, think about some nice cans (DT-880s, AKG-Q701, Sennheiser HD598s), a nice mouse like the SS Rival, a nice mech keyboard, and an ASUS G-Sync VG248QE.
Woahh. That is a badass looking PC.
Check out the build log: http://www.overclock.net/t/1464918/build-log-a-classy-cruncher

Slightly different request.

mom needs a temp computer and im thinking of rebuilding an old pc that i frankensteined parts away. Think ill use it as a media pc or something later.

Currently i have these bits...

p5k with c2q 9550 with 4gb of ram

7870xt

looking for stuff off newegg...

so I need:

case: (something cheap)
psu: (gpu wants 500, so any recommends?)
harddrive: (probably WD black 1TB)

newegg preferably.

thanks in advance.

mkenyon

Banned
Slightly different request.

mom needs a temp computer and im thinking of rebuilding an old pc that i frankensteined parts away. Think ill use it as a media pc or something later.

Currently i have these bits...

p5k with c2q 9550 with 4gb of ram

7870xt

looking for stuff off newegg...

so I need:

case: (something cheap)
psu: (gpu wants 500, so any recommends?)
harddrive: (probably WD black 1TB)

newegg preferably.

thanks in advance.
Antec BP550, one of the cheap cases in the OP, and I might suggest a 120GB SSD for the main drive.

Antec BP550, one of the cheap cases in the OP, and I might suggest a 120GB SSD for the main drive.

reasoning for an ssd? think mom would rather have more memory than boost in snappiness, and as a media/gaming box later, i don't really see that much benefit for the ssd for an additional $80.

apresmode

Neo Member
Hey, first time builder here. I'm hoping you guys can tell me what you think about what I'm potentially building. It should fit into my media center pretty well to allow for some living room PC gaming without looking so out of place as to annoy my wife.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tkernan6/saved/4oJe

I've got a lot of the parts already, but haven't pushed the button on the GPU or PSU yet. As the parts started coming in I've been wondering why I didn't just get a PS4, but I know that's probably just a little bit of nerves about spending the money and putting it all together.

I'm still unsure of whether to get a reference blower card because of the small case. I've heard it can be tough with cable management and airflow. And then the brand I don't know either. I think I'm dithering over it because it's one of the last pieces to get and I don't want to regret the case I got.

Any help is appreciated.

mkenyon

Banned
That Node is definitely not small. You don't need a reference blower design GPU with it. Fractal is probably the best budget/standard case maker there is, to assuage your fears there.

It will also be much more powerful than a PS4, with a much larger library of games. You made a good choice.

apresmode

Neo Member
That Node is definitely not small. You don't need a reference blower design GPU with it. Fractal is probably the best budget/standard case maker there is, to assuage your fears there.

It will also be much more powerful than a PS4, with a much larger library of games. You made a good choice.

Thanks! I got a pretty good deal on the case too. It's a bit overpriced most of the time, but I was able to get it for $120 a couple of months ago.

LilJoka

Hey, first time builder here. I'm hoping you guys can tell me what you think about what I'm potentially building. It should fit into my media center pretty well to allow for some living room PC gaming without looking so out of place as to annoy my wife.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tkernan6/saved/4oJe

I've got a lot of the parts already, but haven't pushed the button on the GPU or PSU yet. As the parts started coming in I've been wondering why I didn't just get a PS4, but I know that's probably just a little bit of nerves about spending the money and putting it all together.

I'm still unsure of whether to get a reference blower card because of the small case. I've heard it can be tough with cable management and airflow. And then the brand I don't know either. I think I'm dithering over it because it's one of the last pieces to get and I don't want to regret the case I got.

Any help is appreciated.

Good rig, why so many case fans? It comes with a 2x120mm Silent Series R2 fans, thats more than enough.

And also you will have tons of fun with this, no reason to worry, once you see that 1080p60. Plus maybe you may run some emulators in HD =P Maybe you like to stream to Twitch (properly), or maybe you like to view any media files, background music (oh yeah and MP3 support =P), any streaming service, there are no restrictions.

What's everyone's thoughts on RAM heat spreaders?

I've been cleaning up my PC and was thinking about the RAM. My heat spreaders are a hair too tall for my liking so I started tinkering. It looks like the TIM tape was barely even making contact with the chips on one side and was basically foam taped on the other side. I know this will void warranty but I feel like I'm doing more harm to the RAM by leaving those stupid fins on.

LilJoka

What's everyone's thoughts on RAM heat spreaders?

I've been cleaning up my PC and was thinking about the RAM. My heat spreaders are a hair too tall for my liking so I started tinkering. It looks like the TIM tape was barely even making contact with the chips on one side and was basically foam taped on the other side. I know this will void warranty but I feel like I'm doing more harm to the RAM by leaving those stupid fins on.

You dont need them. Whats the exact RAM kit? Unless its something like 2400Mhz+ or running high volts like 1.70v+ theres no point to them.

It's a g.skill ripjaws running at stock 1.5v and 1866 mhz. I don't have any heat issues with them on, but I pulled them all off because of how stupid the idea of non-functional heat spreaders are.

I'm always WAY more function over form. Either way bare circuit boards appeal to me.

apresmode

Neo Member
Good rig, why so many case fans? It comes with a 2x120mm Silent Series R2 fans, thats more than enough.

And also you will have tons of fun with this, no reason to worry, once you see that 1080p60. Plus maybe you may run some emulators in HD =P Maybe you like to stream to Twitch (properly), or maybe you like to view any media files, background music (oh yeah and MP3 support =P), any streaming service, there are no restrictions.

Ha. Yeah I don't really know about the fans. I was figuring I should fill all the slots. I'd heard the factory setup wasn't very good with cooling. I asked Fractal and they said to (when facing the case) put two intakes on the right side, 80mm exhaust in the rear and then another 120mm exhaust on the left.

I'd originally though to put one 120mm exhausting near the CPU and the other two as intakes. But obviously I have no idea what actually works better. Since I've never built a PC before I figured it's something I may have to play around with in person to see what works and what doesn't.

I'm open to any suggestions for sure.

FaidSint

Hi all, I'm looking for 8gb (2x4gb) of RAM for my new CPU build that I'm working on. It will be going into the AS Rock Extreme4 Z87 Motherboard that I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157369

NewEgg sent me an email with a 10% off coupon on Desktop RAM for the next 48 hours so I thought I'd see what they have. I searched for DDR3-1600, 1.5v, 2x4gb, and the lowest price. Here are three options I was curious about from brands I've never heard of:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231544

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313344

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546

So here are my questions:

Are any of these RAMs worth getting for under 60 dollars? Would it be worth paying an extra 10 bucks or so to get something more "name brandy" like Corsair Vengeance? Are all of these RAM compatible with my mother board - and what should I look for in Motherboard compatability? Is DDR3-1600 1.5V exactly what I should be looking for in RAM for my mother board? Or different stats?

Finally - I keep hearing about something about XMP profiles with 1600 RAM. When I install these (or any other) RAMs am I going to have to go rooting through the BIOS to make them work?

Thanks so much for your help!!

VLEXP

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vlexp/saved/4n3g

So this is the build I'll be going with, I just need to know whether the Video Card I'm choosing is a good choice to go with from all the 780s.
Also in the near future when games comes out that have higher requirements Will I be able to just buy another video card to meet its demands and run two? or would I have to get a different cpu?

Also I need recommendation for a monitor something for about $250.

I'll be buying everything with in a month.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Any Logitech G600 owners around here? I'm looking to replace my Razer Naga because, like all other Razer products I have ever owned, it's starting to break (I've had it for a little over a year). The mouse is starting to double click on single clicks.

Looking to get a G600, and I'm hoping they're more durable than Razer products. I see that Logitech sells it for $80 on their website, but there are sellers on Amazon selling them new for $60. Any reason I shouldn't go for the cheaper price?

mkenyon

Banned
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vlexp/saved/4n3g

So this is the build I'll be going with, I just need to know whether the Video Card I'm choosing is a good choice to go with from all the 780s.
Also in the near future when games comes out that have higher requirements Will I be able to just buy another video card to meet its demands and run two? or would I have to get a different cpu?

Also I need recommendation for a monitor something for about $250.

I'll be buying everything with in a month.
Yeah, the ASUS is a good 'un. This one is a little faster, and runs a bit more quiet though: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn780oc3gdrev20

For monitor, VG248QE.
Any Logitech G600 owners around here? I'm looking to replace my Razer Naga because, like all other Razer products I have ever owned, it's starting to break (I've had it for a little over a year). The mouse is starting to double click on single clicks.

Looking to get a G600, and I'm hoping they're more durable than Razer products. I see that Logitech sells it for $80 on their website, but there are sellers on Amazon selling them new for $60. Any reason I shouldn't go for the cheaper price?
Get a Steelseries Rival. It's better.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

redlegs87

Nice! Please post impressions of that when you get a chance. I'm really interested in that case for an OP pick.

It was really easy to build in lots of room at the top made it easy to plug in the CPU power cable even with the my big hands. Only con is their is not much room for cable management behind the tray as the foam on the panel takes up alot of the space. Good thing for the shroud can shove many cables down there.

Wow, everyone is getting that case before me. Amazon is backordered still, I'm still on the waiting list :'(

I got mine from NCIX last week happened to see it and only like 5 were left in stock and I got lucky. They didn't have the red and black though that is the version I really wanted.

Probably a stupid question but...anyone know if you can buy PC parts on Amazon with gift cards from sellers that are not Amazon itself? Like, some of the PC parts aren't sold from Amazon but they're sold on Amazon and they endorse them. I'm guessing yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom