• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need cultural research help

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So... I have this idea of a 4 co-lead story and two of them are about to embark in an interracial relationship

The cultural research part is for one of the characters: a Chinese or Japanese male who recently moved to America with his family and has fallen in love with the other co-lead, an African-American woman.

How do Chinese or Japanese families who are new to America view interracial relationships with non-white partners? Are they xenophobic (despite living in the second most diverse country in the world)? Is it culture shock? Are they aware this happens in America (or even England for your British blokes)? Are they more or less accepting of it?

I will update with more questions as the post evolves.

I appreciate you all!

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
So... I have this idea of a 4 co-lead story and two of them are about to embark in an interracial relationship

The cultural research part is for one of the characters: a Chinese or Japanese male who recently moved to America with his family and has fallen in love with the other co-lead, an African-American woman.

How do Chinese or Japanese families who are new to America view interracial relationships with non-white partners? Are they xenophobic (despite living in the second most diverse country in the world)? Is it culture shock? Are they aware this happens in America (or even England for your British blokes)? Are they more or less accepting of it?

I appreciate you all!

most "traditional" Chinese parents will most likely be against their son getting together with an African American girl. and yes it IS a racism thing. they might not admit it, but it's definitely the reason. I imagine Japanese parents would probably be about the same. are you making this work due to Asian mlaeband African American female are both the "least desired" when it comes to a survey on who people like to date in the US? I seem to remember reading about it before.

Last edited:

Trelane

First, I would say get a definite answer on whether the character is Chinese or Japanese. That is quite a big difference and will be a major factor in building the background of the character and help to explain motivations, decision making, etc.

That’s not to say nationality is the only factor that drives a person’s decisions, but there are a lot of differences between the two countries.

Last edited:

Toons

I appreciate you all!

I think you should seek out people who you are certain are of that background for a more authentic response.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
most "traditional" Chinese parents will most likely be against their son getting together with an African American girl. and yes it IS a racism thing. they might not admit it, but it's definitely the reason. I imagine Japanese parents would probably be about the same. are you making this word due to Asian mlaeband African American female are both the "least desired" when it comes to a survey on who people like to date in the US? I seem to remember reading about it before.

I think I'm making them interracial for multiple reasons... 1. Because the narrative around Asian males in Hollywood movies and even books is that they're either nerds or martial arts badasses... Never a romantic partner and 2. I love black women and I love to see them get be romanced ...

The other two characters are a single woman (Caucasian) and a married man (biracial black man). Their love lives aren't explored but they're equally important to the story.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think you should seek out people who you are certain are of that background for a more authentic response.

Unfortunately, I don't know many. I know some who are biracial but they're half Korean, not Chinese or Japanese. And any Asian descent are either Korean, Hmong or Thai. One is part Filipino.

Toons

Unfortunately, I don't know many. I know some who are biracial but they're half Korean, not Chinese or Japanese. And any Asian descent are either Korean, Hmong or Thai. One is part Filipino.

Maybe out an ad out at a university or populous area? Ask around on reddit communities or so.... You can source your favorite internet spots but it'd always be more authentic to find the actual people if at all possible.

jason10mm

Gold Member
See, the problem here is that your descriptions are "Chinese man", "black girl", "white girl", and "biracial but somehow also black man". I fear this will leas you down a bad road if viewing every aspect through race and gender, only two of which apply to you.

Far better, I think, to have an engineer fall for an artist whose friend is a professional athlete and knows a married speech therapist.

I suspect every one of us can think of a dozen situations where these roles play out better than just racial/gender ones.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Maybe out an ad out at a university or populous area? Ask around on reddit communities or so.... You can source your favorite internet spots but it'd always be more authentic to find the actual people if at all possible.
Thanks!

Doom85

See, the problem here is that your descriptions are "Chinese man", "black girl", "white girl", and "biracial but somehow also black man". I fear this will leas you down a bad road if viewing every aspect through race and gender, only two of which apply to you.

Far better, I think, to have an engineer fall for an artist whose friend is a professional athlete and knows a married speech therapist.

I suspect every one of us can think of a dozen situations where these roles play out better than just racial/gender ones.

If race, culture, etc. are relevant to the story and Deaf needs advice on those aspects in terms of certain elements of the story, why describe in another way? A couple’s reaction to finding out their son/daughter is in an interracial relationship is very unlikely to be affected by the SO being an engineer or something.

Like, in the movie Get Out, sure the main character’s profession as a photographer does have some relevance, but obviously due to the nature of the story, his race was more important for that story.

Also, Deaf may already have solid knowledge of whatever professions the leads have, and thus doesn’t need to ask for such info. While Stephen King was more than willing to research and ask for info regarding other professions to give his leads, it’s obvious why so many of his leads were involved in writing, it’s what King had strong knowledge of as a profession.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I'm just describing them superficially for this thread... to do more would give away the story I want to tell (I tend to give away too much). The story actually has nothing to do with race but I already listed why I'm having the characters (at least the two romantic leads) the way I described them.

And yes, you can be biracial black... Because that's how they're viewed in this country... Ask Obama if he's viewed any different than a fully black person. I guarantee you he and other biracial black people aren't.

There's a reason for everything I write, whether it's poetry or prose. It's a geek story above all else, I'll just say that.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
If race, culture, etc. are relevant to the story and Deaf needs advice on those aspects in terms of certain elements of the story, why describe in another way? A couple’s reaction to finding out their son/daughter is in an interracial relationship is very unlikely to be affected by the SO being an engineer or something.

Like, in the movie Get Out, sure the main character’s profession as a photographer does have some relevance, but obviously due to the nature of the story, his race was more important for that story.

Also, Deaf may already have solid knowledge of whatever professions the leads have, and thus doesn’t need to ask for such info. While Stephen King was more than willing to research and ask for info regarding other professions to give his leads, it’s obvious why so many of his leads were involved in writing, it’s what King had strong knowledge of as a profession.

Yes! This! Thank you!

Sakura

I don't think Japanese would care too much as long as the person in question doesn't have a bunch of tattoos and stuff.
Chinese would probably care more.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm just describing them superficially for this thread... to do more would give away the story I want to tell (I tend to give away too much). The story actually has nothing to do with race but I already listed why I'm having the characters (at least the two romantic leads) the way I described them.

And yes, you can be biracial black... Because that's how they're viewed in this country... Ask Obama if he's viewed any different than a fully black person. I guarantee you he and other biracial black people aren't.

There's a reason for everything I write, whether it's poetry or prose. It's a geek story above all else, I'll just say that.
Fair enough.

My brother in law (non black minority) dates Asians. In his experience, an Asian girl fully integrated into America had no resistance. A first generation hmong girl had a family that STRONGLY resisted their relationship. A native Thai girl...fully accepting.

I think it's how isolated the family group is. Lots of well integrated Asians in America,. But hmong are fairly new so this girl was first generation, and small in number, so if they accept outsiders soon they will cease to exist (in america) as a singular culture. Thai girl, well, there are millions of them in Thailand so she isn't gonna cause any cultural collapse if she leaves for an American man.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Fair enough.

My brother in law (non black minority) dates Asians. In his experience, an Asian girl fully integrated into America had no resistance. A first generation hmong girl had a family that STRONGLY resisted their relationship. A native Thai girl...fully accepting.

I think it's how isolated the family group is. Lots of well integrated Asians in America,. But hmong are fairly new so this girl was first generation, and small in number, so if they accept outsiders soon they will cease to exist (in america) as a singular culture. Thai girl, well, there are millions of them in Thailand so she isn't gonna cause any cultural collapse if she leaves for an American man.

This is a nuanced take! I appreciate it!

Doom85

There is only one AMERICA. And only one country that allows the others to exist around it.

shocked greg davies GIF by BBC

Didn’t realize Ecuador was so powerful. You’ve enlightened me!

the older asian generation's perception of other races is based on racial stereotypes. Most are NOT racists, just ignorant. Think Michael from The Office. How accepting they are really depends on how long they've lived in the US.

Also, there are a lot of cultural differences between Chinese and Japanese. Thinking they are interchangeable is kind of ignorant itself.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
the older asian generation's perception of other races is based on racial stereotypes. Most are NOT racists, just ignorant. Think Michael from The Office. How accepting they are really depends on how long they've lived in the US.

Also, there are a lot of cultural differences between Chinese and Japanese. Thinking they are interchangeable is kind of ignorant itself.

I don't think they're interchangeable. I'm asking because of their cultural differences and how that would affect the storyline with the couple. And that's why I am specifically asking about how the parents would react between culturally Chinese and culturally Japanese.

If I had said "what do Asians think about interracial relationships?", then you could come to that conclusion and rightly call me out for being ignorant.

Mistake

Gold Member
A close friend of mine that I met in china is black, and he married a nice chinese girl. I am not sure of issues he has had in terms of her family, but I do know that unless the family is from a tier 1 city with good education, they'll be very against the idea. However since men typically are in charge of taking care of the parents and wealth, a chinese man might have more sway than a chinese woman

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
Because whitey is never going to have problems right? Bit race victim hood here.

sadly, in the eyes of a lot of the older generations from China (be it Hong Kong, Taiwan, Mainland), hooking up with a white person will always be "less problematic" than black or brown. if they had been in the US for longer than 10 years thou, they do tend to be more accepting. but FOB Chinese who's in their 50s or 60s? yeah, you can't really convince them otherwise. they might be polite to your face, but 9 times outa 10 they'll be talking about you once you leave.

StueyDuck

I'm sure there's many short fat and single middle-aged white women in LA whod be willing to teach you about other cultures.

I mean they did dye their hair purple and get a septum ring, what more qualifications are needed

Paasei

Go to your local Chinese restaurants and ask around. They already live in the USA and because of that might have the exact view on love that you’re looking for.

finalflame

My Chinese partner's parents and older sister had a fucking fit when she started dating me, and I'm white. Her older sister straight up tried to ultimatum her to either leave me or forget she has a sister. Her dad basically disowned her older sister for marrying a brown dude. I live in the US.

IMO, it goes beyond "cultural differences" to straight up irrationality / fear of what is "unlike" them. It's mostly smoothed over now, but her dad is still a cunt about it. I hope to meet him later this year and hopefully he won't be so militant after that, lol.

Hope that helps, OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom