• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to do a UPgrade (PC folk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B'z-chan

Banned
I currently have a AMD XP 2000 (1.1ghz) and a pretty good Asus mobo with 1024mb of DDR 2100 (two sticks of 512)

I need to reuse the memory so all i need is a new Mobo, Processor and Fan. So give me some suggestions for a nice fast combo that i can get for pretty cheap. I dont really want to go over 300 bucks or cheaper.

Slo

The first thing you might try is setting the multiplier on your processor to run at the level it's supposed to. Your 2000+ XP should be running at around 1.6 ghz, not 1.1.

That might be the cheapest "upgrade" you could hope for. ;)

B'z-chan

Banned
Slo said:
The first thing you might try is setting the multiplier on your processor to run at the level it's supposed to. Your 2000+ XP should be running at around 1.6 ghz, not 1.1.

That might be the cheapest "upgrade" you could hope for. ;)

Wait wait you kidding me right? As my bios says that it can only two two settings automatically. I must learn how to do this.

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1266 MHz (6.25 x 203)
Motherboard Name Asus A7V266-E (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 ACR, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8366A Apollo KT266A
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Medallion (01/23/02)

Also while were at it can we try and get my bios updated maybe? I dont know how to do this or where i could get the latest bios for my computer.

B'z-chan

Banned
Well crap maybe i've got something different in my computer? as that doesnt look like the chip i got back two years ago. Maybe its a 1600 how can i be sure?

B'z-chan

Banned
Ok i confirmed its a 2000 but it is set at 1.3ghz how can i get this baby cranking? Its a hot little son of a gun. But maybe thats cause its underpowered or something?

golem

6.25 x 203 is definitely not right

you should be at 12.5 (multiplier) x 133 (bus speed) if i am not mistaken
it should be changable in your bios

B'z-chan

Banned
Oh heck yeah its posting finally. After all of this time its posting. But its still not at 12.5 for some reason. Anyone want to tell me why its not doing that?

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1678 MHz (6.25 x 268) 2000+

B'z-chan

Banned
Slo said:
Dude, you ram has GOT to be unstable at that speed.

Well i woudlnt doubt that it could be whats causing me problems. Do you know what i could do to fix it. And note my Bios says 12.5*142 but the program in which i use in windows makes it out to be:

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1773 MHz (6.25 x 284) (edit: Volatage is stuck at 1.75)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)
Monitor ViewSonic E90fb (333020100345)

I've been having problems with my new Graphics card and something tells me it's not the card. Since my computer restarts whenever i'm playing a PC game. I've done everything this side short of reinstalling windows and starting a new.

Tekky

B'z-chan said:
Oh heck yeah its posting finally. After all of this time its posting. But its still not at 12.5 for some reason. Anyone want to tell me why its not doing that?

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1678 MHz (6.25 x 268) 2000+

This setup looks correct. Why are you still messing with it?

B'z-chan

Banned
Well its not being very stable at this moment and time. Its actually better running at 1.77 cause of the voltage i think. But the memory seems to be the problem and i dont know how to fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom