• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I reinstalled Windows XP; now my computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

I was having some problems with missing files and dlls (after my antivirus program kept detecting viruses and deleting them). So at the urging of some GAF members, I decided to reinstall Windows XP to recover anything that was missing and replace anything that had gone bad. I just put the CD in a said I wanted to install Windows. When the installation was almost done, the computer rebooted itself to this screen:

error3.jpg

No matter which option I choose, it just restarts and comes up to this screen. My last ditch plan is to use Knoppix and Gnomad to transfer the most important files to my Zen and do a clean reformat/install. But I really don't want it to come to that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Whoa, that is really weird. Today I restarted my computer and it went to that screen like 4 times. Every option I picked made it load up and then just return to that screen, its never happen to me before either. I still don't know what the problem was...like 2 hours after that there was a power outage and of course my computer was shutdown. But it loaded back up without any problems then.

Mason

God, it's been forever since I've even seen the DOS prompt and I'm tired. Pretty please remind me how?! :D

so did u del the previous windows instal or just select install and overwrite the dir?

I usually partition 7 gigs of one of my drives for my OS/APPS stuff and then when I do a reformat I wipe that partition out repartition and reinstall.

Mason

Ok, I'm trying to remember how to get to the DOS prompt. Do I need to make a DOS boot disc or can I use the XP cd?

fart

Savant
there should be some kind of recovery option on the xp cd. that'll bring up a shell with some utilities. if there isn't, you have to use some other media to boot. a dos bootdisk would work, but do yourself a favor and find a copy of the deltree binary. that'll do your bad install in right quick

Pellham

Banned
if reinstalling doesn't work (make sure you are deleting partitions and formating) then its most likely a hardware problem

fart

Savant
your computer doesn't seem like it's in the greatest condition in general what with spontaneously rebooting during an install

xsarien

daedsiluap
fart said:
your computer doesn't seem like it's in the greatest condition in general what with spontaneously rebooting during an install

XP is configured to automatically restart the system if it encounters an error that it simply can't recover from. You can shut that particular feature off, but given that the OS wasn't even done installing, well, that's a little hard.

Grubdog

Banned
Whoa, this is freaky, I just had that screen recently too (first time i've ever seen it), and mine also kept restarting, it was really annoying me, in the end i just re-installed Windows XP with the boot disk..

Mason said:
But the only way I can reinstall again is with a boot disc which would reformat the hard drive.

:\
..and I didn't have to reformat the hard drive, just the windows folder, so I lost a few pictures and stuff, but nothing important. It gave me the option to reformat, but I didn't have to.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Fallopian Tube said:
Reinstall again, if that doesn't work then format and install.

GAF members are idiots.

This isn't the first time you've made cracks against GA members, and after your attempt to place DCX in trouble for multiple accounts I've finally had enough of you, you obviously don't like GAF, so troll-be-gone.

Freeburn.

ElyrionX

Woah dude, you banned him for that? Second time I've witnessed a "live" ban from Freeburn. Man, you truly are a ninja mod..........

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Don't assume what you see in one thread is the sole reason for a ban, Fallopian was already on thin ice after trying to implicate another GAF member and get them banned last night, in addition to several snipes over the weeks.

Regardless, moderation policy is not a valid topic of conversation, subject closed.

Freeburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom