• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I, Robot" tops weekend movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
#1 "I, Robot".............................$52.3 million........($52.3 million)

#2 "Spider-Man 2"......................$24.2 million........($301.7 million)

#3 "A Cinderella Story"...............$13.8 million........($13.8 million)

#4 "Anchorman: The Legend
of Ron Burgundy"........................$13.4 million.......($56.5 million)

#5 "Fahrenheit 9/11"...................$7 million............($93.8 million)

#6 "King Arthur"..........................$6.9 million.........($37.9 million)

#7 "The Notebook"......................$5.5 million.........($53.7 million)

#8 "White Chicks".......................$3.4 million.........($63.4 million)

#9 "DodgeBall: A True
Underdog Story".........................$3.2 million.........($104.6 million)

#10 "The Terminal".....................$3.1 million.........($71.1 million)

Box Office Mojo

Firest0rm

I, robot was amazingly great! I loved it! I went in there with really low expectations and was blown away by the complete package that it presented! Great acting, great graphics, great atmosphere and most importantly a great story! A must see!

Firest0rm

BuddyChrist83 said:
Can someone spoil the end of I, Robot for me?
Are all the humans really robots?

no
, and the end cant be spoiled because you'd have to go through the whole story's events and I think watching it yourself would do a better job

BuddyC

Firest0rm said:
no
, and the end cant be spoiled because you'd have to go through the whole story's events and I think watching it yourself would do a better job
Thanks. I just noticed the official thread, glanced through that, caught a general gist of what was going on.

DMczaf

WOO! I, Robot!

I don't think my theater knew how popular I, Robot would be this weekend. The late afternoon-early evening showings were only 4:20, 5:00, and then MIDNIGHT. When me and my friend got there at 5pm, they said they were sold out, but had made another showing for 7pm, when we came out of the 7pm showing there were people sitting there waiting to come in to see the movie for some 9:20 showing.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I, Robot got pretty good reviews. If Will Smith weren't the star, I would definitely have gone to see it. He just has a stigma with me after crap like Independence Day and Wild Wild West.

Phoenix

White Chicks made $64 million, and people still insist on using box office totals to justify how good a movie is. :D

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
#3 "A Cinderella Story"...............$13.8 million........($13.8 million)

#4 "Anchorman: The Legend
of Ron Burgundy"........................$13.4 million.......($56.5 million)

ANCHORBOMB BOMBS !

Hillary Duff wants to talk to uuuuu~~~

Memles

I was sitting in the line at McDonald's, waiting for a McFlurry, when two of the 40-50 year old women were discussing films.

"I'm going with my brother to see I,Robot. I just LOVE that Will Smith. Except that crappy Wild Wild West."

I was with them until they said this...

"And that Catwoman looks AWESOME!"

I considered running and leaving the McFlurry, but I waited without bursting into laughter and then ran off. It was damn scary.

So, the normal folk love them some Will Smith.

Firest0rm

Guileless said:
I, Robot got pretty good reviews. If Will Smith weren't the star, I would definitely have gone to see it. He just has a stigma with me after crap like Independence Day and Wild Wild West.

Just go and see it.

DMczaf

Willco said:
I refuse to see I, Robot.

Your loss!

Now let's get jiggy wit it!

4747.jpg

DMczaf

And I took back my Michael Jordan of Movies award from Spider-Man 2! It now goes to I, Robot!

dunk%20_ewing.jpg

Ewing = Spider-Man 2!

Suck it down, Federman!

Willco

Hollywood Square
DMczaf said:
And I took back my Michael Jordan of Movies award from Spider-Man 2! It now goes to I, Robot!

dunk%20_ewing.jpg

Ewing = Spider-Man 2!

Suck it down, Federman!

Apparently the world disagrees with you. Including Michael Jordan:

"My favorite part of I, Robot was the end!
WILL SMITH SUCKS!
Hah! I'm going to go wait in line to see Spider-Man 2 again."
-- Michael Jordan

DMczaf

"My favorite part of I, Robot was the end! WILL SMITH SUCKS! Hah! I'm going to go wait in line to see Spider-Man 2 again."

Michael%20Jordan%2010-02.jpg

Sorry, but the TRUE Michael Jordan does not wait in a line. He builds a movie theater in his backyard. Willco's lies are BLOCKED!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Oh, I saw Anchorman today. There were a few chuckles for the first fifteen minutes or so, but after that, it was a momentum of hilarity!

I really hope Adam McKay and Will Ferrell get their August Blow-Out script greenlit. I'll be waitin' for that one.

Willco

Hollywood Square
DMczaf said:
Sorry, but the TRUE Michael Jordan does not wait in a line. He builds a movie theater in his backyard. Willco's lies are BLOCKED!

For someone to claims to know a lot about something, you know a lot about nothing! Michael Jordan is an upstanding gentlemen that would never use his star power to cut lines or waste money on theatres when he could go to a state-of-the-art one himself. Plus, it's a fact that Michael Jordan is part of the basis for the Spider-Man character.

AeroGod

Memles said:
I was sitting in the line at McDonald's, waiting for a McFlurry, when two of the 40-50 year old women were discussing films.

"I'm going with my brother to see I,Robot. I just LOVE that Will Smith. Except that crappy Wild Wild West."

I was with them until they said this...

"And that Catwoman looks AWESOME!"

I considered running and leaving the McFlurry, but I waited without bursting into laughter and then ran off. It was damn scary.

So, the normal folk love them some Will Smith.

People dont have the same opinion as you do? Man what the fuck is the world coming to? Thats some crazy shit.

Holy shit, look at all the stuff Will is involved with acting-wise:

Actor - filmography
(In Production) (2000s) (1990s)

Confederacy of Dunces, A (2005) (in production) .... Ignatius J. Reilly
Joan of Bark: The Dog that Saved France (2006) (announced)
Talladega Nights (2006) (announced)
Producers, The (2005) (announced) .... Franz Liebkind
Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny (2005) (announced) .... Music Shop Dude
Bewitched (2005) (pre-production) .... Jack Wyatt/Darrin Stephens
Curious George (2005) (filming) (voice) .... The Man in the Yellow Hat
Kicking & Screaming (2005) (filming) .... Phil Weston
Wendell Baker Story, The (2004) (post-production)
Melinda and Melinda (2004) (post-production)
Winter Passing (2004) (completed) .... Corbit

Willco

Hollywood Square
Well, Adam McKay and Will Ferrell, the two guys behind Anchorman, are currently in production of the Bewitched silver screen adaptation. That might have promise.

But the two penned a movie called August Blow Out for Paramount before they struck gold with Anchorman at DreamWorks. August Blow Out had Will Ferrell playing a car salesman who is the best damn salesman during the annual August blow out, when inventory prices are slashed to get old car stocks sold quickly for the next year's models. But Ferrell's life comes crashing down and he hits a sales slump, so the dealership calls in a MERCENARY to threaten his reputation and sales records.

Memles

AeroGod said:
People dont have the same opinion as you do? Man what the fuck is the world coming to? Thats some crazy shit.

If it was anything but Catwoman, I would agree with you 100%. But this movie hasn't got a single thing going for it, not a single positive test screening, and not a gleam of hope for its quality. I just found it funny how the non-educated on press screenings, advance reviews, etc. are going to eat this up, not knowing how terrible it has been said to be.

Willco said:
But the two penned a movie called August Blow Out for Paramount before they struck gold with Anchorman at DreamWorks. August Blow Out had Will Ferrell playing a car salesman who is the best damn salesman during the annual August blow out, when inventory prices are slashed to get old car stocks sold quickly for the next year's models. But Ferrell's life comes crashing down and he hits a sales slump, so the dealership calls in a MERCENARY to threaten his reputation and sales records.

That sounds very similar to Anchorman.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Idle Will Kill said:
That sounds very similar to Anchorman.

Somewhat, but they're very different in a lot of ways. Ferrell's character in August Blow-Out has a life outside of his job. A family in such that is in shambles. His work environment is completely different with an odd ensemble and a boss that's almost evil. And the mercenary is surely not his love interest and is an evil bastard. I think the way the humor is penned is similiar to Anchorman, but if McKay learns anything, August Blow-Out would be a lot more coherent and resonate with people with some editing and decent direction.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Willco said:
I saw Anchorman today. I refuse to see I, Robot.

You saw Anchorman but you wont see I, Robot? Man, your sense of loyalty to spidey is punishing your brain! Whats next? A Cinderella Story?

It's like a person who loves bread but refuses to eat ciabatta, just try the ciabatta, you know you'll love it...

/me throws ciabatta at wilco

Willco

Hollywood Square
Ghost said:
You saw Anchorman but you wont see I, Robot? Man, your sense of loyalty to spidey is punishing your brain! Whats next? A Cinderella Story?

It's like a person who loves bread but refuses to eat ciabatta, just try the ciabatta, you know you'll love it...

/me throws ciabatta at wilco

I love Spider-Man 2. I've seen it four times. Probably see it once more with some friends who haven't seen it and will try to see it once on an IMAX screen.

That said, I have no problems paying money to see good movies. Yes, sometimes I get tricked into paying money for bad movies, but I'm pretty selective. The very mixed word of mouth of I, Robot and the absolutely negative word of mouth from people I trust (who are also Proyas fans) make the choice all that easier. Chances are I'll watch it on a rainy day when it's on HBO or Starz.

I'd rather give that money to Anchorman.

I have no qualms for paying money for Adam McKay's first foray into directing. McKay and Ferrell are a dynamic duo that pose no threat to Sam Raimi's epic trilogy of spiders and spandex, and I hope they make enough here for other films to take notice of their stuff and greenlight 'em.

AeroGod

Memles said:
If it was anything but Catwoman, I would agree with you 100%. But this movie hasn't got a single thing going for it, not a single positive test screening, and not a gleam of hope for its quality. I just found it funny how the non-educated on press screenings, advance reviews, etc. are going to eat this up, not knowing how terrible it has been said to be.

Yes but they saved like a shitload of Cats from a shelter where they would have been put to sleep and used them in the movie, then found them proper homes. Thats enough to ge a couple of 40-50 year old women, who are probably animal rights activists, to like it. Also, in the movie a chick beats up evil guys. Women love that kinda shit

Willco

Hollywood Square
AeroGod said:
... Also, in the movie a chick beats up evil guys. Women love that kinda shit

Then women are stupid.

If that's true, I'm going to make a movie called MARY THE HAPPY FUCKIN' HOMEMAKER where she does nothing but clean, cook and take shit from her husband for two hours until she has an affair with the gardener who happens to be an alien and gets superpowers. She'll then fight crime in the streets of greater Suburbia in her SOCCER MOMOBILE and fight her archvillain -- THE DRUNKEN SECRETARY.

I'll market it as THE MATRIX meets MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING.

Directed by McG and starring Christina Applegate. Let's do this.

AeroGod

Willco said:
Then women are stupid.

If that's true, I'm going to make a movie called MARY THE HAPPY FUCKIN' HOMEMAKER where she does nothing but clean, cook and take shit from her husband for two hours until she has an affair with the gardener who happens to be an alien and gets superpowers. She'll then fight crime in the streets of greater Suburbia in her SOCCER MOMOBILE and fight her archvillain -- THE DRUNKEN SECRETARY.

Get the fuck into Hollywood now, your ideas are wasted on us.

Memles

AeroGod said:
Yes but they saved like a shitload of Cats from a shelter where they would have been put to sleep and used them in the movie, then found them proper homes. Thats enough to ge a couple of 40-50 year old women, who are probably animal rights activists, to like it. Also, in the movie a chick beats up evil guys. Women love that kinda shit

Sorry...not even saving cats can in any way justify "Catwoman" and "Awesome" being in the same sentence without the phrase "is not" between them. Or any other negative context.

EekTheKat

hey how did you get the plot of the next Adam Sandler movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom