• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I support Nintendo Fanboys...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Financially even. I picked up Kohler's book tonight, "Power Up". Brady gave it quite a push at the Gamestop conference in Texas, and a copy showed up tonight at the shop.

Yea, it's full of Nintendo fawning, but there's some great niche history and well worth picking up in a still slim genre. 20 bucks seems hefty, but it's not skimpy, small print, many pages, photos, etc. Perhaps a fuller review in the future.

Anyhow, nice job.

Boooo on no mention of GAF in the long, long acknowledgements. And the foreward?

Wait for it....

by....

Denis Dyack

Eric-GCA

Banned
You should post some of those Dyack quotes when Silicon Knights new direction is finally revealed, cause it will be funny to hear those things once his company is supporting either MS or Sony.

snapty00

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Financially even. I picked up Kohler's book tonight, "Power Up". Brady gave it quite a push at the Gamestop conference in Texas, and a copy showed up tonight at the shop.

Yea, it's full of Nintendo fawning, but there's some great niche history and well worth picking up in a still slim genre. 20 bucks seems hefty, but it's not skimpy, small print, many pages, photos, etc. Perhaps a fuller review in the future.

Anyhow, nice job.

Boooo on no mention of GAF in the long, long acknowledgements. And the foreward?

Wait for it....

by....

Denis Dyack
I was thinking about buying that book too, actually.

Right now, this is what's holding me back:

1.) Knowing that I'd be fanning the fumes of a Nintendo fanboy, and

2.) Knowing that Dyack had some contact with the author.

I may forego buying the book and just find the best history trivia that it offers online.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
kohler's a sharp guy even if i don't like his console politics (or his political politics). and the subject matter obviously interests me. but $20 seems a bit steep. will this be at bookstores as well as game stores? i'd be perfectly happy to sit around and read it at a barnes & noble or something.

edit: then again, how often does someone you "know" get published. probably not very, unless you count your professors. i should really buy it. i'll eat ramen for a couple days.

Yeah, Kohler knows the biz and has a wealth of great trivia to share, even if, as drohne says, his politics in general aren't exactly to my tastes. I can handle the pro-Nintendo wankery if the rest is great -- and I suspect it probably is. I'll probably pick it up. Thank God for the wife's B&N discounts!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
BobbyRobby said:
I'll definitely get this if my discount for B&N still works. When is the release, or has it already been?

It was stocked today with the new releases, haha. It sold one more copy than Katamari (none available). There's an interview with the creator of Gitaroo-Man and much pro-Japanese wankery, worth a read to be sure!

Hey...if you get a discount at B&N do you get one at Gamestop? It works the other way round...

BuddyC

I saw this on the shelves today during my failed Katamari run. Leafed through it, pretty cool, plan to pick it up when I actually have money. Make sure to note that another GAF alumni, Agent Dormer, is quoted on the back of the book.

Gee, I'm glad I happened to click on this thread and see what you meant. ^_^;;

Seriously, thanks to everyone who's thinking about buying this. Towards the end of writing it I was always thinking, "Hmm... how are the gaffers going to respond to THIS part?"

Glad to hear a copy (just one?) showed up in a GameStop. Hope to see it in EB as well. I'm actually still waiting for the first time I see it in a store. That'll be an awesome day.

Musashi Wins! said:
pro-Japanese wankery
Why weren't you around when we were trying to come up with the subtitle?

By the way, yes - this book is pro-Japan and pro-Nintendo. SHOKKU

It's not really anti-anything though.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Kobun Heat said:
Glad to hear a copy (just one?) showed up in a GameStop. Hope to see it in EB as well. I'm actually still waiting for the first time I see it in a store. That'll be an awesome day.

Congrats again. Supposedly we have more copies coming, but regrettably I didn't let your first hit the shelf. I heard they really pushed it in Texas at their presentation, so hopefully it bodes well for you and perhaps decent sales will push them to keep expanding to non-strategy releases in the field. Man, I'd be rushing to Borders or whatever to see it...ego restraint be damned!

Musashi Wins! said:
There's an interview with the creator of Gitaroo-Man and much pro-Japanese wankery, worth a read to be sure!

Awesome, I currently addicted to GM. (Damn Master difficulty!)

Hey...if you get a discount at B&N do you get one at Gamestop? It works the other way round...

I was a Gamestop employee. I'm probably out of their system by now though. As long as I have a semi-recent pay stub though I think I'll be able to get a discount at B&N.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Chris needs to get a signing at one of the local bookstores... then we can get the Sacramento GAF folk to drive over.

I hope my Chapters store gets this, as I really want to buy it.

There aren't THAT many pro-japan/pro-nintendo videogame history books out there. Actually, it's sort of the opposite.

20$ isn't that much, I bought videogame history book for way more.

+ the cover rawks, but the subtitle sucks, I really would have prefered "pro-Japanese wankery"
make sure to make the switch for your 2nd edition :)

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
BuddyChrist83 said:
I saw this on the shelves today during my failed Katamari run. Leafed through it, pretty cool, plan to pick it up when I actually have money. Make sure to note that another GAF alumni, Agent Dormer, is quoted on the back of the book.

I swear he hog tied me and forced me to say that crap. You would to if he held your life in his hands.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DavidDayton said:
Chris needs to get a signing at one of the local bookstores... then we can get the Sacramento GAF folk to drive over.
hehe.

We got one copy of the book in. I will probably pick it up at one point. I just don't know when yet.

Wait did Kobun move to SF? or does he still live in the midwest (if memory serves me well)?

DDayton

scola said:
hehe.

We got one copy of the book in. I will probably pick it up at one point. I just don't know when yet.

Wait did Kobun move to SF? or does he still live in the midwest (if memory serves me well)?
He's in the northern California area now because of the mysterious new job he was hinting about earlier. You'd have to ask him for more specifics, though...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DavidDayton said:
He's in the northern California area now because of the mysterious new job he was hinting about earlier. You'd have to ask him for more specifics, though...
interesting.

Well in that case, Kobun, sign my copy! ;)

EDIT: nor-cal but not SF bay? Prima Games?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Cool, I totally forgot this book was out... wll pick up a copy once I cash my paycheck in... Should be good... the last book on games I've read was Steven Kent's "The Ultimate History of Video Games" (girlfriend gave it to me as an xmas gift) - the pre-NES days were full of detail and interesting info, but the second half seemed extremely rushed, but Kohler's book sounds like it'd be in more detail about the post-NES days (which is really when I started gaming). Does he do insight into the NEC and Sega platforms, or is it all exclusively Nintendo? I expect Borders to have it as well?

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
DavidDayton said:

Well, it's less mysterious now that you can see his name on that site every day. ;)

BuddyC

Jonnyboy117 said:
He's not the only one.
Oops, my bad :(

Okay guys, be sure to note that two GAF alumni are quoted on the back of the book! That's like half of the quotes on the back cover!

I live in San Francisco now. Seriously, if anybody actually wants me to sign their copy - even though doing so might actually LOWER the value of the book - I will. Just give me time to actually get a mailing address first.

DDayton

Kobun Heat said:
I live in San Francisco now. Seriously, if anybody actually wants me to sign their copy - even though doing so might actually LOWER the value of the book - I will. Just give me time to actually get a mailing address first.
I still think we should just start a Kobun Book Road Trip.

Kobun Heat said:
Seriously, thanks to everyone who's thinking about buying this. Towards the end of writing it I was always thinking, "Hmm... how are the gaffers going to respond to THIS part?"

Dude, just write what is true and honest and don't worry about what others will think. If you can tweak a few people while doing it, bonus, it's the Warren Ellis way.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
alejob said:
Hmm, could I get a little bit of background here? Who's Kobun?

He's an Albanian exchange student who was caught in a compromising situation with Miyamoto. He's written an autobiography, or travelogue about his wild times with various developers. Picture some of the recent Led Zeppelin exposes, but with more pixels. Great read.

Top Bottom