• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I thought you could install Windows on two computers?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Ok, I finally bought my new HDD and OEM version of Windows XP Pro. I got it all installed and had to activate it online. However I read that you can only install Windows on one computer. This sucks since I have another computer I'd like to install this on. Does this mean I have to shell out another 140 bucks?? Ugh...I hope not.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Mrbob said:
Ok, I finally bought my new HDD and OEM version of Windows XP Pro. I got it all installed and had to activate it online. However I read that you can only install Windows on one computer. This sucks since I have another computer I'd like to install this on. Does this mean I have to shell out another 140 bucks?? Ugh...I hope not.

I had a similar situation with office XP, I had just gotten rid of my desktop which I had previously installed it on and bought a laptop... during online activation I called their support line and told them I switched to another computer and they gave me a new activation code or something... they did not give me a hard time at all about it, I think you could do it if you gave them a similar story, unless you'd feel guilty about it.

Pimpwerx

Install on another computer, and when you go to activate, it should allow you to install on 2 or 3 different computer configs before it makes you call in the activation. When you call in, they ask you if it's installed on another computer. Make sure it's turned off, just in case, but tell them no. They have no way of verifying, and there's nothing they can do about it. They'll ask you why you're reinstalling, and you tell them you're changing computers or whatever you want.

I know this isn't according to MS's plan, but fuck 'em. You paid for the software, you can use it how you want. I had to do this yesterday. Of course, I have two copies of XP, so I don't need to do multiple installs. But if I didn't have another copy, I would just install it on both of my home computers. MS can suck my nuts. Fuckers are making money hand over fist, and this cheapass activation scheme is just another way to bust our balls. Besides which, even for people using the software legitimately, like me, have to put up with the annoying hassle of calling into a service rep everytime we reinstall. Everytime I use my copy of XP Pro from now on, I will have to call up that fucking number. It's a minor inconvenience, but it's an inconvenience none the less. I shouldn't have to tolerate this bs. Once again, MS can kiss my ass. PEACE.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I've installed every windows I've ever had on multiple computers, (including both XP standard and Pro - got them for free through school). So I don't know how stringent the "registration" is.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yeah, MS won't let you activate more than 2 times.

I reformated and had to call the bastards up to get a new key fo free.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I got xbox live with headset and crimson skies for 30 :)

mattx5

Does MS go after individual users for having fake product keys, or do they usually just target the people distributing them?

Not that I`d ever do something like that.....

Stop looking :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
mattx5 said:
Does MS go after individual users for having fake product keys, or do they usually just target the people distributing them?

Not that I`d ever do something like that.....

Stop looking :(

Not unless you installed on a ton of PCs. Then it wouldn't really be worth there time.

Personally, I agree with Duane. Already owning a legal copy of the program should give me rights, under the fair use provisions of the DMCA to install said program on any and all PCs that I own within my household. On the other hand, I can see MS's reasoning for this. They spend the resources and man hours creating these programs which are absolutely essential to even using a computer. It's a horribly grey area.

andthebeatgoeson

teh_pwn said:
Yeah, MS won't let you activate more than 2 times.

I reformated and had to call the bastards up to get a new key fo free.

Did you dramatically change your computer? I've reformatted 5+ times and have never had a problem. Even added a new vid card, an extra HD, extra RAM.

Just ask everyone you know for a group share copy until somebody hands you one, then install that and hold up your middle finger or something.

You can ask my friend Nate; fucker's had my disc for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom