• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I use the controller on the PC more often than the mouse/keyboard for gaming.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't even remember when exactly I switched, but I use the mouse/keyboard combo less and less for gaming. How does it look for you?

OubPi3o.png

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
In 2022, my most played games were Elden Ring, Hades, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and GOW 2018. All these games I've played with a controller.

In 2023, my most played games will likely be BGIII, Starfield, Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty, and AOE IV. All these will be played with a mouse/keyboard.

So, it varies depending on the games I play the most.

Last edited:

Kabelly

i purposely built a pc so I could play all/most of my games with a controller and gyro/motion aim. Sony was too slow and had bad implementations. Xbox held back gaming once again.

I've played Resident Evil 4, Sunset Overdrive, Portal, Sleeping Dogs, Vanquish and Days Gone all with gyro/motion. Best way to aim with a controller. No aim assist needed.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I have been PC Controller gaming since 2010 and PC TV Controller gaming since 2013. It's nothing special, PC is about freedom of choice.
People I play with regulary are all hardcore mouse/keyboard players and find it very strange. Could just be my bubble though.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I only use KB+M for RTS games or games like Terraria.

Even in FPS games shooting with a mouse may be more precise, but is also fucking bland. Especially now with adaptive triggers.

Sometimes the controller option on PC games is wonky though. For example Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has super low controller sensitivity even at max setting AND has horrible aim acceleration.

Last edited:
You only really need M&K on PC when playing faster paced multiplayer shooter games like CoD or something.

But for something such as Hell Let Loose I use a controller and do a lot better than most PC players on there simply because I know how to move.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
When i was at university and had a relatively small apartment, i traded my desktop office for the baby's room. So i fully switched to small form factor console sized (almost, node 202 case) plugged to TV. Had it boot directly into Steam big screen mode. I barely saw desktop when i booted it. I simply picked controller all the time, no keyboards and mice.

Even played Torment : Tides of Numenera with a steam controller, a fucking cRPG.

Now I'm back to desktop and uses keyboard and mouse a lot more often, with the likes of shooters, cRPGs, strategy, etc, but controller is fine too.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Definitely depends on the game for me. I feel like some games just feel made for one or the other.

m&kb feels more like "home" for me just cause im old as fuck and been PC gaming my entire life.

But I cant deny certain games are way better with a controller. Specifically 3rd person action games. Witcher 3, Elden Ring, AC6 coming up... games like that definitely yearn for a controller.

Everything else pretty much m&kb for me.

Plus the clicky-ness of a mechanical keyboard... its like smelling fresh cut gaming grass on a sunday morning.

amigastar

Definitely depends on the game for me. I feel like some games just feel made for one or the other.

m&kb feels more like "home" for me just cause im old as fuck and been PC gaming my entire life.

But I cant deny certain games are way better with a controller. Specifically 3rd person action games. Witcher 3, Elden Ring, AC6 coming up... games like that definitely yearn for a controller.

Everything else pretty much m&kb for me.

Plus the clicky-ness of a mechanical keyboard... its like smelling fresh cut gaming grass on a sunday morning.
Oh yeah, i love my Mechanical Keyboards that i have, every single one of them.

Stuart360

I'm literally like 99% controller player as i'm a couch gamer due to back problems, and i have my PC connected to my 60 inch tv.

The only time i actually sit at my desk is if i want to play one of the old games that doesnt have controller support.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Me with thousands of hours on keyboard and about 2h of attempting to play forza and monster hunter with a controller before giving up and going back because i couldnt remember any of the buttons:
I See You Reaction GIF by Spellbreak

Last edited:

lachesis

Gold Member
It's been a long time since I played with K/M combo - but certain games like RTS, I like K/M better. (Like Star Craft)

FPS.. I generally not play that genre often, but anything that has aiming - I find mouse is much more accurate and faster. Moving with AWSD is little weird for me though. I wish I could have left side joystick (like Wii nunchuck or L joycon) with right side mouse option.

Stuart360

It's been a long time since I played with K/M combo - but certain games like RTS, I like K/M better. (Like Star Craft)

FPS.. I generally not play that genre often, but anything that has aiming - I find mouse is much more accurate and faster. Moving with AWSD is little weird for me though. I wish I could have left side joystick (like Wii nunchuck or L joycon) with right side mouse option.
You can actually do that if you use a program like X-Padder. I have dont that before, left hand using left stick to move, mouse to look around like the right stick.

BlackTron

My PC gameplay is heavily skewed towards mouse/kb because I have a tendency to use PC for FPS and RTS games, though I will certainly use gamepads on PC as well. If it's a gamepad type game my first choice will usually be a console if it's available, or does not gimp the experience.

Using mouse/kb in a console port type of title, like a third person action game, just because you are using a PC, seems bizarre to me. If you use it for something like an emulated Mario game, you are messed up man.

My favorite controller for Towerfall is Xbox 360 so I have hundreds of hours couch multiplayer gameplay using the Steam version going back 10 years. Even though I have the Switch version too for convenience, given the option I will skip that garbage pro controller in a twitch competitive game. Exceptions to every rule etc

Shakka43

I'm not very good at playing with K/M plus my left wrist start hurting after a bit of keyboard gameplay. So my PC gaming is about 98% done with a gamepad.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've always had a preference to play certain PC games on a controller, but I only made a semi-permanent switch to controller-only gaming once COVID hit and I started working from home.

I guess it became my way of separating work from my time off. I do most of my work at the desk but as soon as I'm done for the day, I get away from it. And if I'm gaming, then it's exclusively on the couch. The only exceptions are games that physically don't allow me to use a gamepad, such as older GoG games, real-time strategies, or flight sims that require me to use HOTAS.

Soodanim

I'd rather play on my 60hz TV and be comfortable than play at my 144hz monitor, and it's been like that for a long time. Now that 120hz VRR TVs are commonplace, that's a no brainer upgrade for me when the time comes.

Between DS4Windows and Steam Input, you can do so much with a PS controller. It makes PC even more inviting to me.

I save all my MKB games for when I fancy sitting at a desk, but it happens about once a year. I can never be bothered to get a decent Steam Controller set up going, either. Maybe I need a Steam Deck.

Last edited:

Verchod

I need analogue movement, therefore a controller is required most of the time. I'm surprised there isn't anything more specific for PC that does this. I've sent the Razer keypad with thumb stuck but don't think it's analogue. And it's expensive.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I only use the mouse and keyboard when I'm playing Paladins, everything else is controller. I don't even have a proper mouse for my gaming PC, it's on the living room plugged to my TV so I just have a small keyboard with a trackpad and the controller aside.

twilo99

Gold Member
Some games are better on controller while others are simply unplayable for me .. like CSGO or Quake

JCK75

I am still a 95% PC gamer because it's all an option.. use mouse and keyboard at work to game when it's slow. at home sometimes I'll grab my steam deck.. sometimes I'll just grab an Xbox controller and use steam link on my Nvidia shield (would use Geforce now but I'm stick of my game saves not syncing and losing all my progress)

Vox Machina

Banned
Weird, but hey one of the best things about PC gaming is being able to generally use the peripheral of your choice!

The only game I use a controller with on PC is Halo Infinite and that's more because of all the muscle memory with controller and that franchise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom