• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Icons : Naughty Dog

EekTheKat

Interesting, I didn't know they tweaked Crash Bandicoot character design for the Japanese release.

Anyone have some good shots (google came up with some crummy dolls + shots of the Japanese Crash in the background) of what the Japanese Crash looks like vs. the Western Crash? From the brief moments I saw on the show I only noticed pac-man shaped eyes (maybe a bit more spaced out), odd looking lips, and no teeth on the Japanese version .

Gek54

Yeah, he has black head of hear and is fuggggly.

Err nm, just big eyebrows I was thinking of.

p1001863174.jpg

----

Banned
Doesn't the Japanese Crash have weird "Pac-Man" eyes? That's all I noticed. I haven't watched the Icons episode yet, but I recorded it.

I don't know if it's still true, but Crash Bandicoot was the most successful Western developed video game ever released in Japan.

EekTheKat

Hah that's pretty funny..reminds of the Simpson's episode with Mr. Sparkle when I saw those pacman eyes.

I wonder if there's a big book of character design guidelines to designing Eastern vs. Western characters or something.

uscrash-jcrash-meet.jpg

That illustrates the design differences pretty well, even if it is in giant plush costume form!

Also, one feature of the Japanese games was the 'crash dance' and Crash Ban-di-coooot theme song from the commercials, which I think was in all of the home games.

Top Bottom