• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

id Software Still Hesitant About 2004 Launch For Doom 3 Xbox

http://www.pgnx.net/news.php?page=full&id=5677

id Software has stated that the game may not be available until next year. In a recent interview with CNN Money, id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead stated that although Activision would really want Doom 3 to appear on Xbox this year, the team isn't very confident in meeting that release date.

According to Hollenshead, the guys over at Vicarious Visions (responsible for Doom 3 Xbox) are having problems with the user interface (i.e. all those fancy displays found in the game) and other limitations of the Xbox technology. Hollenshead did mention that the decision is still "up in the air" meaning that it could happen but it isn't their focus at the time.

He went on to say: "Our focus is on the gameplay. ... 'Doom 3' is a game that on the PC is very finely tuned. There was a lot of play balancing. The stuff that was supposed to be tense resulted in a lot of tension for players. The stuff that was supposed to be scary makes people crap their pants. We want the Xbox version to be just as good." For the complete CNN Money interview, click here.

Source: id Software

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
IJoel said:
Damn, are they taking that long to rearrange the closet locations of their monsters.

and as of yet... i'm still looking for a damn closet... let alone a closet with monsters in them.

I have a hard time imagining the game in it's current state running right on an n64. I think they'll take away alot of the animation in the environments, which is very unfortunate.

Tenguman

After playing the PC version, i can't even look at the xbox shots. They look really really bad. Not to mention the chopped up animation and framerate.

Honestly, it would better if they delayed the game for next gen and add a whole bunch of new stuff like an single-player expansion and added multiplayer features. Call it Doom 3.5 and sell it as a launch title.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I think they look really good actually, considering. How fluid the game will be remains to be seen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After playing Doom 3 on the PC, I am suprised at how accurate the XBOX version looked IN THE TRAILER. It really looks very similar...

Now, most of the screens have been pretty lackluster...soooo...

MarkMacD

guess it's time to go buy a new video card this weekend then.

in my short experience, Doom 3 has pretty standard gameplay, but absolutely pants-shittingly frightening atmosphere (that's a good thing), helped along by the graphics and great sound design, worth experiencing. No way I'm waiting for next year.

Top Bottom