• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Burnout 3 were released in arcades...

ManaByte

Gold Member
...how do you think it would do?

Despite arcades being DEAD in the US, BO3 is easily one of the best arcade-type racers ever made.

DCX

DCX
People would wait for the home version with extra tracks and online play...oh 5.1 sound...oh and pro scan...and oh wait...playing it on the couch...the arcades are dead....have been for a while.

DCX

Deg

Banned
DCX said:
People would wait for the home version with extra tracks and online play...oh 5.1 sound...oh and pro scan...and oh wait...playing it on the couch...the arcades are dead....have been for a while.

DCX

should've been on pc.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
It's not structured quite like an arcade title, such as OutRun 2, where the play concept is immediately accessible and everything the game has is thrown at the player in succession along a constantly rising difficulty curve. An arcade game needs to provide an obvious goal, a constant delivery of risk and reward, and clear feedback as to how and why the player failed so that they'll be inclined to play just that one more time to try to get further.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
And it wouldn't attract any attention without a deal from SEGA to build Criterion a custom, deluxe cabinet and to distribute their game through SEGA's channels and arcade centers.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Well, EA seems to think it's feasible to put Madden 05 in arcades, so I'm sure they could have figured something out if they wanted to.

Playing against visible competition, without lag or network connection/lack-thereof issues and proprietary fees > playing at home, even online.

Apathy: The real killer of US arcades. This goes for customers and cabinet owners.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i think arcades make more money than online gaming does.

im not sure though.

But anyway yeah it would fail. only games that really make money are hte ones with competitive followings. (ie initial d, bemani games, vf,tekken,sc)

Belfast

INITIAL DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But yes, arcades need competitive games. Games that aren't just competitive by nature but actively PUSH that aspect as the main draw of the game.

Agent X

dog$ said:
Well, EA seems to think it's feasible to put Madden 05 in arcades, so I'm sure they could have figured something out if they wanted to.

Playing against visible competition, without lag or network connection/lack-thereof issues and proprietary fees > playing at home, even online.

Apathy: The real killer of US arcades. This goes for customers and cabinet owners.

Seeing how EA games are starting to appear in arcades, I wouldn't be surprised to see an arcade game based on Burnout at some point in the near future. I don't think it would exactly mimic the home games' various gameplay modes, but rather have a few tweaks so that it would work well in an arcade environment. Crash mode probably wouldn't be very good as an arcade game, but Road Rage mode or the standard races might work.

WindyMan

Actually, EA has started to dip their toes into the arcade industry a bit. I recently saw both Need for Speed and Tiger Woods in cabinet form. NFS was setup like the Crusin' series, and Tiger Woods was Golden Tee with EA branding all over it.

Burnout would be a perfect arcade racer, but EA already has one in Need-For-Speed. You never know, though.

edit: Well, I guess they've got a Madden arcade game too, all of these courtesy Global VR...

http://www.globalvr.com/products_football_intro.html
http://www.globalvr.com/products_pgatourgolf_intro.html
http://www.globalvr.com/products_nfs_intro.html

jenov4

It would probably do well 10 years ago. And perhaps in Japan... I think arcades are still viable there. ;)

jarrod

Banned
Anyone know what boards those EA/GlobalVR games are based off? Probably PC based, but it'd be nice to know...

Brofist

Online gaming is great, but the draw of arcades is the social aspect. Going to the arcade translates into a night out with friends, drinking some beers, and pissing some time away. Society is moving too much into an antisocial direction...why actually leave your house if you don't have to..everything available in the convienience of home..etc.etc..

That and playing racing games in linked deluxe cabinets in Japanese arcades beats hell out of playing at home, and I have a good 5.1 system with all the goodies.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Actually I think it'd be a lot of fun. The most popular games at Dave & Buster's are the linked racing games -- imagine the additional fun of takedowns in an arcade setting. I'd definitely be into that.

FightyF

Banned
I think a Gran Turismo game where you can bring your memory cards (plus with FF wheels) to challenge other racers would be cool. If the gfx were enhanced it would be sweet as well.

Top Bottom