• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were to get a projector primarily which one would it be?

EDIT: The title was supposed to say primarily for gaming, sorry i f'ed up

I think I had a thread like this in the old forum, back then I did not know much about projectors but I feel like I know a bit more about them now. I think DLP would be best for gaming as there is less chance of burn in, right?

Even though I feel like I know a small bit I think I should ask on here before I splash out on one.

I hope to get one that I will be able to connect a good sound system to as a few of the game around the corner would be enhanced so much with that (MP2 Halo2 GTA:SA ect...)

Also if anyone could inform me as to what would be the best lead’s and cables i could buy to enhance the picture and sound once I have it hooked up.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Big Daddy Sho Nuff highly recommends the Sanyo Z1. Get the Z2 if you want native 720p (the Z1 can do up to 1080i, but it scales it down to a 480p signal internally). It's cheap and decent and I looooves mine. BTW there is zero risk of burnin on LCD as far as I know.

BTW, I have problems with DLP, as I always see "rainbow artifacting" and it bugs the hell out of me. Your mileage may vary tho.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Infocus Screenplay 5700

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I went through the same delema you did. I ended up getting a Panasonic L300U LCD Digital Projector.

Just keep in mind your going to want to meet the following when getting a projector.

-You have a location where you can either ceiling mount or table mount a projector, with an unobstructed view onto a wall at which you have as much space as you want the image to be, over 60 inches is suggested, mine is set at 100

-You watch mostly movies or DVD/TV Widescreen material. My LCD projector SUCKS for regular TV especially off the air, however it will be nice for HDTV. Keep in mind EVERY flaw is magnified.

-The room needs to be made resonably dark.

-The idea of buying a replacement bulb every 3000 hours for $300 does not bother you much. (the one from visual apex includes one bulb extra)

1999 @ Visual Apex
Pair it with this, http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801668
and one of these cables to get to the projector http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/products/product_detail.asp?Inventory=2002&Class=375

Now, keep in mind this does 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i, so any xbox games that support this res it will work with. Its also 16:9 native, so it will have black bars on the right and left side for 4:3 material. Jaggies are magnified. Being 16:9 native owns for 16:9 material though :)

Hope that was some help,
The projectors are not getting any more expensive, so don't feel like you need to rush.

golem

definitely poke around www.projectorcentral.com and www.avsforum.com ...

the panny 300 (sanyo z1) [960x540] are good LCD projectiors (the two projectors are nearly the same, not sure which one people prefer more)

the panny 500 (sanyo z2) have higher resolution [1280x720], but come out around $2k

the infocus screenplay 5700 [1024x576] is a good choice for DLP but is $$$.. check out the 4805 for a cheaper 16:9 dlp alternative [854 x 480]

all the above mentioned projectors are widescreen... if you want a 4:3 projector, consider the infocus x1 (800x600)

teiresias

the panny 300 (sanyo z1) [960x540] are good LCD projectiors (the two projectors are nearly the same, not sure which one people prefer more)

The panny projectors have screendoor reducing tech in them, so if that's to your tastes it's an incentive for the panny over the sanyo, but if you're viewing from a reasonable enough distance it won't make any difference because screendoor won't be an issue anyway.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I have the Sanyo Z1 - absolulely no complaints with it.

Expect your eye sight to suffer though (seriously)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
DCharlie said:
I have the Sanyo Z1 - absolulely no complaints with it.

Expect your eye sight to suffer though (seriously)

How so? I've never heard of any vision issues regarding viewing a front pj.

KLee?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
well, i've found my eye site deteriating rapidly, although it could be old age!

But if i have a long spell without playing projector games, it suddenly gets better.

I always thought it's because your eyes are basically being "lazy" in comparison to playing on a smaller tv (i'm playing at 100' inches size)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
go LCD. Cheaper than equivalent DLP, and nice resolutions for HD

I have a Panasonic AE100 (PT in the US), which is 480p and nice, but the first of the big hitters in the low budget field. Now superceded by the likes of the Z2 and AE300/500.

But the earlier ones are still good quality, so worth checking out if you can save a bundle.

Oh, and do it! Best move I ever made. Forget the plasma crap for cinema - at least until they do 8ft wide plasmas :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Within that ballpark (the Z2/AE500), there's a relatively new competitor from Hitachi - the TX100 I think it's called. In shootouts/reviews I've read, and online forum buzz (at avsforums), it seems to be the one to get in that price range. Better contrast, better blacks, superb color, 720p/1080i and DVI-in. I think it's relatively expensive in the US, but (much) cheaper if you import from Europe, so it could be worth a look..

Like "Friend" asked its a price range of around 1500 Euro so I think I should be able to get a good quality one, thanks for all the replies but I still not sure which one yet. I am definitely going to get one sometime though, no doubt about that!!

Shompola

Banned
I believe you can "tilt" the lense or something on the sanyos wich is a big plus. The panasonics do not have that option.

DCharlie said:
well, i've found my eye site deteriating rapidly, although it could be old age!

But if i have a long spell without playing projector games, it suddenly gets better.

I always thought it's because your eyes are basically being "lazy" in comparison to playing on a smaller tv (i'm playing at 100' inches size)

It's called eyestrain. :p Make sure you're blinking often.

Top Bottom