• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Insider?

HAOHMARU

I remember when it came out while back. Are they still doing this and if so are they turning any kind of profit? I can't believe anyone would actually pay for this, but to each their own. When it first got released I thought for sure IGN was going to go under. I just heard that acquired rottentomatoes.com though so maybe they aren't doing so bad.

How much is subscription?
How long does the subscription last?
Is it worth it (in your opinion) if you are a memeber or ever have been a memeber?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My IGN Insider expires on August 1st, 2004. Not really sure if Im going to renew, being around here lets me see the videos at different sources sooner than IGN. Although there have been a few times where Insider was great to have just to see the big videos and features. I also had Gamespot Complete for about 2 years, but I let it expire in May. It really wasn't worth it for me and Insider is starting to feel the same way.

I believe the subscription is yearly and I dont even know what the price was when I get it. I want to say $19.95.

It's worth it if you wanna download 640*480 videos of games and don't wanna sludge through the gutters of the internet to get them. I consider it worth it.

Curently a subscriber.

If you're into the stuff IGN covers (games, whatever), then yes, it's worth it. I think it's a great deal. However, I'm not really into games anymore, so I'm going to let mine expire.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think they have a couple of hundred thousand subscribers now...?

In a flurry of excess cash and enthusiasm, I signed up for the IGN/Gamespy membership, and Gamespot Complete. I've barely used any of them since E3, though E3 itself was great with GSC..watching the conferences live was just superb, and something that will get me back with GSC next year. The Fileplanet subscription is also handy..no more queuing for file downloads.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Got IGN insider a month before e3. so far, meh. What a shitty designed website, finding something is such an hassle compared to gamespot. News coverage is pretty much dead aswell.

I dont think i will renew when my year subscription ends.

Mrbob

I've had it since the beginning. My subscription runs out mid August and I'll renew. Some of their video features are good, and for 20 bucks a year I don't mind. I may get GSC too.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I got Gamespot Complete for E3 (before I learned that Nintendo was hosting a pre-show conference stream themselves) and I barely used it. That site has the worst layout I've ever experienced. I much prefer Insider even if most of the content is available to non-subscribers.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I've been a member since it started. I like it during E3, but that is about it. Their message boards are full of shit (with a possible exception of the DVD board and some of the other non-game boards). For every good poster (and there are some really good people who post there) there are about 10 idiots. I think only GameFAQs can exceed the stupidity found on IGN.

shpankey

not an idiot
I've got it and love it. I actually got the big package thing with fileplanet and gamespy and insider with a copy of Rainbow 6... i love it and will not hesitate to renew.

Mrbob

cybamerc said:
I got Gamespot Complete for E3 (before I learned that Nintendo was hosting a pre-show conference stream themselves) and I barely used it. That site has the worst layout I've ever experienced. I much prefer Insider even if most of the content is available to non-subscribers.

IAWTP. Gamespot layout is crap. I hate trying to go through their site. It feels so cluttered and unorganized.

Laurent

IGN layout is heavy to load when compared to GameSpot! I am a GameSpot Complete member since 2003 and satisfied...

Mrbob said:
IAWTP. Gamespot layout is crap. I hate trying to go through their site. It feels so cluttered and unorganized.
The home page looks that way, but you can easily find all of the updates (news, previews, movies, reviews, etc.) for any given day in an organized way by clicking to Daily Updates in the left menu. When I visit GS I go directly to that section. As for Complete vs. Insider, I think Complete is better since it includes FTP downloads for patches, updates, demos, mods, etc. Insider doesn't include the equivalent FilePlanet unless you suscribe to the $60 rip off Founder's Club.

The difficulty in GSC unsubscribing has scared me away for the time being.

Insider isn't the most brilliant service out there, but for the ridicuously low subscription price they had during E3, picking it up was a no brainer.

Laurent said:
IGN layout is heavy to load when compared to GameSpot! I am a GameSpot Complete member since 2003 and satisfied...

If you're talking about bandwith with that comment, then IGN definetly isn't for you. Insider's whole benefit are the large bandwith videos. If you're on narrowband, it's pretty much wasting the only selling point.

cvxfreak

I got my Insider account for free last August but I will definitely renew. I love the IGN Japan and Head to Head Features in particular.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Had it from the start...and no plans to stop it as I like IGN and the "extras" are good enough...wish they had more features for members though. And I wish my IGN INsider covered Fileplanet/Gamespy too...hehe

ravingloon said:
It's worth it if you wanna download 640*480 videos of games and don't wanna sludge through the gutters of the internet to get them. I consider it worth it.

Gametrailers.com and Kikizo.com both offer 640x480 vids of all the games anyone cares about, and they don't charge a bullshit fee to access them either.

News-wise, like someone said earlier, why bother subscribing somewhere when you can get news right here at GAF? Sometimes Tor at Gamespot does some nice analytical pieces etc but those are mainly free anyways!

Overall IGN and Gamespot sub services are pretty much both worth the annual fee in my opinion but if you've got better things to spend ~$20 on, then, well, it's not the end of the world.

Alcibiades

cybamerc said:

same here as far as not using it except for the Nintendo conference thing, though I took advantage of downloading quite a few of the "Let's Gamespot" things to see how those were (I think you can stream them for free though)...

I don't have IGNinsider and don't expect to either...

Kon Tiki

Banned
ravingloon said:
You can watch them without Insider....

DCX

DCX
I'm an insider for two years now and it's worth it to me, i mean it's just 20 bucks for a year, E3 makes up for alot plus you get some little nice perks. It also makes me feel...elite :)

DCX

Society said:
You can watch them without Insider....

If that's a reference to other sites hosting IGN movies, or filesharing IGN movies, that's what my original comment was referring to. If it means IGN hosts all the movies for non-Insiders, I prefer the Quicktime format over everything else. 640*480 and quicktime is the domain of Insider. I also love the fact they host a ton of interviews, previews, and gameplay footage. Very few trailers interest me, because very few trailers contain actual gameplay. It's replays, cut scenes, odd camera angles, and tiny snippets of gameplay. All that, factored with the 19.95 price that they always have at E3, and it's not worth not subscribing. I may go stretches without using it, but for a measly 20 dollars a year, I can get the videos I want when I want them and without wasting time.

Top Bottom