• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

trinest

Grampa Simpson said:
majoras-mask-moon-600x400.jpg
*plays the reverse song of time* wait that goes backwards not fowards dam it!

ReyVGM

herzogzwei1989 said:
Cafe is now my most-anticipated Nintendo console ever. Just 2 1/2 more weeks.

My most anticipated Nintendo console was the N64. I hope this one doesn't disappoint like the N64.

ReyVGM said:
My most anticipated Nintendo console was the N64. I hope this one doesn't disappoint like the N64.

I hope not either. I think Nintendo's high R&D budget over the last few years will pay off. They've gotta be cooking something amazing this time.

legacyzero

Banned
Error Macro said:
50 weeks.

It will launch on May 6th, 2012.

Rachael Leigh Cook in your Avatar. MMMMmmmmmmmmm MMMM.

On Topic: Majora's Mask is still my fav Zelda game. That pic further up on the page is tickling my nostalgia.

dwu8991

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
Th analog stick would be wider than an iPhone.

Do you think this is likely?

The analogue sticks look similar to gamecube sticks. Not sure where you seeing the analogue sticks being wider than an iphone though. I think the second slide is a better reference than the first slide. Looks like there's some sort of pointer device above the controller.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
dwu8991 said:
The analogue sticks look similar to gamecube sticks. Not sure where you seeing the analogue sticks being wider than an iphone though. I think the second slide is a better reference than the first slide. Looks like there's some sort of pointer device above the controller.

The screen is labelled as 6" diagonally, you can see it clearly at 34 seconds.

The sticks and everything else would be huge at the proportion they are shown in the slides. Unless Nintendo have gone mad, none of this is real.

Vinci

Danish
DECK'ARD said:

The sticks and everything else would be huge at the proportion they are shown in the slides. Unless Nintendo have gone mad, none of this is real.

Obviously the sticks are meant to be held by the entire hand rather than the thumbs, especially by very small children. Don't toss feces at Nintendo's divine vision.

dwu8991

Banned
DECK'ARD said:

The controller would be huge, that is correct but it always was going to be with a 6" inch screen.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
dwu8991 said:
The controller would be huge, that is correct but it always was going to be with a 6" inch screen.

And in those slides the sticks compared to the screen height means they are wider than an iPhone.

The buttons as well are very over-sized. Either Nintendo have gone nuts, or someone didn't think his mock-up through correctly ;)

Chittagong

Gold Member
It has to be real because there is a female person in the video. Think about it. If you are a sad loser who uses extraordinary amounts of time to fake Nintendo hardware in multiple forms for no obvious reason, what are the odds that you would ever have the social skills to talk to a girl, let alone get a girl to participate in your hoax video.

methodman

Banned
Chittagong said:
It has to be real because there is a female person in the video. Think about it. If you are a sad loser who uses extraordinary amounts of time to fake Nintendo hardware in multiple forms for no obvious reason, what are the odds that you would ever have the social skills to talk to a girl, let alone get a girl to participate in your hoax video.
So true.

Unless... It's a 5'2 guy with a wig on and his eyebrows done

dwu8991

Banned
Chittagong said:

Same, the girl was like trying to sell you something, that what you see here is going to be the most amazing thing ever. Can't be fake, it's real!

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Chittagong said:
the science is settled

Chittagong said:
...or perhaps she is the one who made the hoax.

What a twist!

Instro

Chittagong said:

Can't argue with that logic.

Instro

Triton55 said:
IGN said the Cafe controller would have symmetrical analogue sticks, so there's another reason the video is fake.

Really? Interesting must have missed that. Not sure how I feel about that bit of info.

Triton55 said:
IGN said the Cafe controller would have symmetrical analogue sticks, so there's another reason the video is fake.

As with Instro, I don't remember this particular comment from IGN (and I've been following this pretty darn closely). Could you dig it up for us, please? :)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Triton55 said:
I don't remember them saying that.

And it would be a very bad move. The GCN and 360 controllers are where it's at.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Triton55 said:
Did they? That sounds horrible >.>

Game-Biz

The real reason that video is fake is because the Nintendo employee woman would be able to ID the dumbass person who took the video who apparently doesn't think of contingency plans. "It was the dude sitting behind the other dude." And then BAM -- he's blackballed from the industry and back to making homebrew in the parent's basement hitting up some crystal and black tar heroin.

Triton55 said:
It was in one of their articles. One sec, looking for it now.

Here we are.
Easy to miss, since they just put it as an aside.

I'll be darned. Sure enough! Seems like a bad idea, though. Sony gets a lot of flack for making the D-pad front-and-center. Thankfully, I'm sure that--with the system launching a year or more from now--the controller's functional arrangement is subject to change.

watershed

Banned
Game-Biz said:
The real reason that video is fake is because the Nintendo employee woman would be able to ID the dumbass person who took the video who apparently doesn't think of contingency plans. "It was the dude sitting behind the other dude." And then BAM -- he's blackballed from the industry and back to making homebrew in the parent's basement hitting up some crystal and black tar heroin.

Also, if he's willing to upload a video from this event, and make a new youtube video for the sole purpose of doing so, how come he can't email some gaming site a write up of the event including all the juicy details? I'm pretty sure the video already violates the NDA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, that IGN article is gospel now? What happened to, "Don't believe what you read; wait for E3?"

So... if it's supposed to resemble an SNES, will it also turn yellow like my old SNES did?

Or maybe that could be an alternate color for it.

artwalknoon said:
Also, if he's willing to upload a video from this event, and make a new youtube video for the sole purpose of doing so, how come he can't email some gaming site a write up of the event including all the juicy details? I'm pretty sure the video already violates the NDA.

maybe he did? we did get a lot of leaks ya know

watershed

Banned
LizardKing said:
maybe he did? we did get a lot of leaks ya know

I hope your not suggesting its real. The console in the video is the same from the "leaked" power point images, same from the "leaked" photos of the actual console powered on without any plugs, after people called it out for being the world's first battery powered home console we then saw more photos this time with plugs, and the photos were supposed from inside Nintendo HQ so no way anyone at Nintendo could figure out who had access to a finished unit, not a dev kit mind you. Then this video lacks audio, features a 6" screen with a 14" controller or so, with giant analogs.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
JaseC said:
So, that IGN article is gospel now? What happened to, "Don't believe what you read; wait for E3?"
The rule is: Don't believe positive news (Café is super powerful, costs a whim, has all kinds of exclusive games and will release tomorrow), but believe negative news (Nintendo is butchering controls...) ;).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Triton55 said:
It was in one of their articles. One sec, looking for it now.

Here we are.
Easy to miss, since they just put it as an aside.
That's not a bid deal if the controller is as wide as I'm expecting.
Reaching the buttons could be awkward, though.

Instro

Yoshi said:
The rule is: Don't believe positive news (Café is super powerful, costs a whim, has all kinds of exclusive games and will release tomorrow), but believe negative news (Nintendo is butchering controls...) ;).

I just believe everything ign tells me. Totally working out so far man.

artwalknoon said:
I hope your not suggesting its real. The console in the video is the same from the "leaked" power point images, same from the "leaked" photos of the actual console powered on without any plugs, after people called it out for being the world's first battery powered home console we then saw more photos this time with plugs, and the photos were supposed from inside Nintendo HQ so no way anyone at Nintendo could figure out who had access to a finished unit, not a dev kit mind you. Then this video lacks audio, features a 6" screen with a 14" controller or so, with giant analogs.

I am not suggesting it's real. I don't know if it's real or fake so I'm not going to say it's real or fake. The lack of sound tells me nothing about this video though. He could have just cut it out because something identifying was said. Who knows. I do know if that woman was acting she was doing a pretty good job, just by the way she was "explaining" things, and by her body language.

Pocks

LizardKing said:
I am not suggesting it's real. I don't know if it's real or fake so I'm not going to say it's real or fake. The lack of sound tells me nothing about this video though. He could have just cut it out because something identifying was said. Who knows. I do know if that woman was acting she was doing a pretty good job, just by the way she was "explaining" things, and by her body language.
The sound was cut out because the video is clearly a college lecture with the appropriate images edited in...

antonz

Nothing IGN has revealed so far is crazy enough to have much doubt.

If they had come out and said it would be in the 5850 or higher range then I would be skeptical.

everything said so far meshes with everyone else

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, the issue with IGN is that many of their articles are affronts to humanity or the English language; their rumor accuracy on the other hand is pretty solid.

Log4Girlz

I was watching my friend play Bulletstorm on his Xbox 360, and I was stunned at the graphics..that is one sick looking game. Like any console, the very last games made during a generation almost look like they are on totally new hardware...so much refinement has been done to game engines. The PC should produce those graphics as a base minimum during launch. Towards the end of this machines life, the games will be truly stunning.

I had often imagined Nintendo's next console using the mighty RV770 as the basis for its GPU. Now it seems somewhat likely. People just don't understand what kind of a leap this would be from the old Flipper architecture made faster in the Wii.

Jasper

I just really hope third party developers actually make an effort to create games that look good.

Even though the Wii was supposed to be 2 or 3 times more powerful than the Gamecube, most third party developers managed to make their Wii games look about as good as a PS2/Dreamcast game.

I hope that laziness won’t be repeated, because we as customers (and gamers) deserve a whole lot better.

[Nintex]

Jasper said:
I just really hope third party developers actually make an effort to create games that look good.

Even though the Wii was supposed to be 2 or 3 times more powerful than the Gamecube, most third party developers managed to make their Wii games look about as good as a PS2/Dreamcast game.

I hope that laziness won’t be repeated, because we as customers (and gamers) deserve a whole lot better.
You'd need to hire an incredibly shitty coder to make a R770 perform worse than a R500.

Top Bottom