• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN purchases Rotten Tomatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nester

Found this at SA

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117907156&categoryID=1009&cs=1

Wow..

borg.jpg

Here's the full story for those that don't want to register at Vanity:

Online vidgame media company IGN Entertainment is expanding its presence in the film space by acquiring review-compilation Web site Rotten Tomatoes.

No financials were disclosed, but deal has been in the works for several months and is reportedly worth about $10 million (Daily Variety, May 11).

Founded in 1998 by a film buff, Rotten Tomatoes has quickly grown into one of the Net's most popular independent movie sites, drawing more than 5 million unique users each month for its rating aggregations of films, DVDs and games.

Acquisition is part of a broader effort by IGN, formerly known as IGN/GameSpy, to expand its presence beyond gaming and become a comprehensive media resource for its core 18-34 male demographic.

"It's natural for us to broaden into other media," CEO Mark Jung said. "If you look at the statistics on our audience, they are avid film enthusiasts who don't strictly define their entertainment."

IGN will retain the Rotten Tomatoes brand, as well as its small staff, and invest resources to expand its offerings to include other film-related content such as trailers, screenshots and news. Some of the content will come from IGN's Filmforce Web site.

Deal is the fourth major acquisition by IGN in recent years, including its purchase of competitor Gamespy last year. Jung said the company will continue to expand via acquisitions and is still looking to strengthen its presence in the film space.

As it grows into an online media conglom, company's also considering going public.

Why do they keep telling me that they need to bombard me with ads even though I'm an Insider because they're poor yet they still have enough cash to buy every f'n website on the net...

Pattergen

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no! NNNOO!! Please god NOO!!!!

God damn it. Here I come paid fucking subscription. I fear the worst.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Well, if you don't like it, then stop clicking on links that point to IGN, GameSpy or TeamXbox.

Firest0rm

fenekku-gitsune said:
Well, if you don't like it, then stop clicking on links that point to IGN, GameSpy or TeamXbox.

Don't forget N-sider too. Well next up is gonna be a PS2 sites. Everyone place your bets!

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
IGN r0x0rs. Good pick-up. I hope they take rottentomatoes to the next level. Then they need to acquire gamerankings.com.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Eggo said:
IGN r0x0rs. Good pick-up. I hope they take rottentomatoes to the next level. Then they need to acquire gamerankings.com.
But Cnet already bought them. That was why IGN launched its GameRankings-clone a little while back.

So, really, what independently-run, game-ish entertainment sites are left for these two companies? Penny-arcade? Somethingawful?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Eggo said:
Then they need to acquire gamerankings.com.
Why? So the composite score can be "Not an Average"? ;)

fenekku-gitsune said:
So, really, what independently-run, game-ish entertainment sites are left for these two companies? Penny-arcade? Somethingawful?
Video-Fenky buyout emminent. GAF Exclusive. Sell your gamecubes and buy stock in IGN!

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Actually... I just realized. Rottentomatoes reviews games too, right? They just were never considered legitimate. Now maybe they'll have the content and credibility to beef up their games portion, making rottentomatoes the go-to site for game reviews as well.

Meier

Eggo said:

What the fuck? The next level? Rotten Tomatoes is PERFECT as is. This is fucking awful news.

This is bad news for the internet. I don't want to know what happens when IGN gets even bigger. I hope I don't see popups and ads on RT soon. :(

The IGN conglomerate does fairly well, surprisngly on advertisements. Instead of selling your name to advertisers, they manage the e-mail process from start to finish, and put their IGN stink on it, usually in the form of a "review" or "preview." It's nice to see someone out there able to take advantage of this medium, for future's sakes.

But yeah, like fenky sez, don't be a hypocrite by bitching about IGN and their said products, then go downloading stuff on GameSpy.

SickBoy

Pattergen said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no! NNNOO!! Please god NOO!!!!

God damn it. Here I come paid fucking subscription. I fear the worst.

Exactly what I thought when I read this news. I like RT, and I can only see potential negatives from this. Hopefully they (IGN) don't try to fix something that's clearly not broken.

-SB

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Eggo said:

GameRankings was acquired by GameSpot last April...

Triumph

Banned
IGN is like King Midas in reverse. Everything they touch turns to shit, and then they try and feed it a McGriddle. :(

Poor RottenTomatoes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Can't blame them for taking the money, obviously...

...but, I would have though 10m was a little cheap? RottenTomatoes is a bit of a net institution. I guess they don't make too much money, though.

And I agree with the person complaining about all the ads in the face of IGN's obviously healthy financial status.

acklame

WHAT THE FUCK?!

great, rottentomatoes is now ruined...

Can't wait for the broken links!
And get ready for gigantic, annoying ads all over the damn site.

You wanna see the ratings for the hot new summer blockbuster? WELL TOO BAD, YOU GOTTA CLICK THROUGH 10 AD PAGES SUCKA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom