• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Review: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

AniHawk

Socreges said:
2004 has a better lineup as far as quality is concerned, but it's so freaking familiar. 1998 didn't necessarily see many new franchises, but it saw old franchises in completely new ways.

2004 still wins.

Even though 1998 has Ocarina of Time, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, and Metal Gear Solid... I'd still have to give the nod (reluctantly) to this year's slew of titles. There weren't as many fucking excellent ones, but there were far more great ones.

'98 wins in terms of "holy sh-t I have NEVER SEEN that before" type factor.

Zelda: OoT and MGS in particular did things that no video game had done before.

2004 wins more in terms of overall quantity.

Socreges said:
2004 has a better lineup as far as quality is concerned, but it's so freaking familiar. 1998 didn't necessarily see many new franchises, but it saw old franchises in completely new ways.

2004 still wins.

Can someone give me the 1998 / 2004 rundown?

I'll start with:

-----------
Metal Gear Solid
Zelda: OOT
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate
Resident Evil 2
Gran Turismo
Tekken 3
Banjo Kazooie
F-Zero X
StarCraft

-------------
Ninja Gaiden
Rallisport 2
Fable (?)
Halo 2
Riddick

GTA:SA
Metal Gear Solid 3
R&C:UYA
Jak 3
Gran Turismo 4

Metroid Prime: Echoes

Half-Life 2
Far Cry
Doom 3

------------

-----------
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate
Resident Evil 2
Gran Turismo
Tekken 3
Banjo Kazooie
F-Zero X
StarCraft

Whoa, did Gran Turismo also come out in 1998?

Man that makes it a lot tougher to gauge really. That game totally changed the racing genre.

Resident Evil 2 and StarCraft were monsterous titles too ... I side with '98.

I believe 1080 Snowboarding also came out in 1998.

Socreges

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Can someone give me the 1998 / 2004 rundown?

I'll start with:

-----------
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate
Resident Evil 2
Gran Turismo
Tekken 3
Banjo Kazooie
F-Zero X
StarCraft

-------------
Ninja Gaiden
Rallisport 2
Fable (?)
Halo 2
Riddick

Metal Gear Solid 3
Jak 3
Gran Turismo 4

Half-Life 2
Far Cry
Doom 3

------------
2004:

Paper Mario 2
Pikmin 2

1998:

Panzer Dragoon Saga

AniHawk

-----------
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate
Resident Evil 2
Gran Turismo
Tekken 3
Banjo Kazooie
F-Zero X
StarCraft
Pokemon Red/Blue
Panzer Dragoon Saga
House of the Dead
Shining Force III

-------------
Ninja Gaiden
Rallisport 2
Knights of the Old Republic II
Halo 2
Riddick

Metal Gear Solid 3
Jak 3
Gran Turismo 4

Pikmin 2
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Half-Life 2
Far Cry
Doom 3

Added 3 Saturn games at the end as well as the American release of Pokemon.

Added PM, Pikmin 2, swapped Fable for KOTOR 2.

Hrm. I dunno if its even close.

1998 definitely.

Zelda: OoT, Half Life, Gran Turismo, and MGS all massively redefined their genres and the game industry in general.

Resident Evil 2 was also arguably the peak of the survival horror craze, Tekken 3 arguably the peak of the 3D fighter genre.

Don't forget Nintendo also introduced a little franchise called Pokemon in North America in 1998.

Coop

Jeez, another game to buy. Let's see, i'm currently playing Half Life 2, Halo 2, GTA, The Moment of Silence (Great adventure game, pick it up!) Plus I want the new KOTOR game..it's going to be a busy christmas :)

If they re-released Fable on Xbox 2, cut the load times and added about 20 more quests I think it'd deserve a 10. As the game is now, it's pretty much an 8.5.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

+Radiant Silvergun

+Katamari Damacy

1998 was more significant than 2004 has been. 2004 has been more evolutionary than revolutionary. Lots of good games in both years though.

J2 Cool

Wow, great scores. And for me, I thought as well that the camera is one of the best in videogames and I wouldn't change it. I like the cinematic angles he gives sometimes too. As for lasting appeal, a 9.0 is iffy for an action game with 20-25 hours of gameplay. MGS2 got a 9.8 in lasting appeal

"Beat the game in 12-15 hours your first time. Play with the toy for hours afterwards. Can you collect all the dog tags?"

and this one seems better in every regard. Especially given how big the jungle is and freedom of gameplay. I found myself taking care of situations a couple ways in past MGS's but this environment allows for so much freedom I can't imagine doing it the same twice. I also can see 9.6 lowballing this game. Can't wait for Gamespot's score. I predict an even higher one

PC Games above:

Half-Life 2
Rome Total War
Sid Meier's Pirates!
World of Warcraft
Unreal Tournament 2004

That's the best PC games for 2004.

Do people actually view Far Cry and Doom 3 as good game experiences? Seemed more like tech demos to me.

acklame

btw, has anyone watched the video review yet? are there any spoilers? i want to make sure i won't scream at the top of my voice at IGN for spoiling while watching the review.

ourumov

[3S voice]As I expected[/3S voice]

Good Job Konami !!!! What about returning to the old cool logo to celebrate it ? ;)

Alias03

acklame said:
btw, has anyone watched the video review yet? are there any spoilers? i want to make sure i won't scream at the top of my voice at IGN for spoiling while watching the review.

None in the video review only hints at something that we ALL already know.

shpankey

not an idiot
wow, 9.6 is an awesome score. to be honest i didn't think this game was gonna pull that kind of score, despite how awesome it was looking.

congrats to fans of the series, sounds like Snake is back to "bidness" biatch! ;)

hard to believe the incredible games hitting this month, this is easily the greatest month in gaming ever, and i'm not kidding.

They have a video review up too, but I'm too scared of spoilers I don't think I'll watch it... If anyone downloads it please report back about spoiler-safety.

AniHawk

adelgary said:
They have a video review up too, but I'm too scared of spoilers I don't think I'll watch it... If anyone downloads it please report back about spoiler-safety.

The only big spoiler was about Otacon's father, and how he invents cloaking technology. It was pretty cool.

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20041116033030809.jpg

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20041116033038559.jpg

My expectations are that MGS3 will defy my expectations. 2004 has been the gaming equivilant of the year of years, as well as the year of sequels, yet nothing has toyed with what I expected, really. So here's to MGS3. Can't wait to have my mind blown.

acklame

Deepthroat said:
Yeah! :D

Anyone know if the video review is spoiler free?

I've read that it is largely spoiler free, but I won't be watching it as it shows area that I haven't seen before. I want to keep it fresh :D

Solid

I couldn't help myself, I watched it! :D

But damn.. the PS2 it hotzor this fall..

GTA:SA 9.9
MGS3 9.6
R&C3 9.6
J&D 9.6
Ace combat 5 9.3

Q1 will be great for Europe.. MGS3, AC5, RE4, Conker, DOA Ultimate, GT4, VJ2 etc. Now if only Konami could add some new content to the PAL-version and all would be forgiven :)

Solid

Konami tops 650.000 pre-orders for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater in Japan. According to Gamefront.de.

Release: 16.12.04

i have already "seen" the ending and it's fucking fantastic. it'll really leave you thinking and will, in a roundabout sort of way, answer lots of questions.

Top Bottom