• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Star Wars Battlefront Reviews

Odysseus

Banned
Wario64 said:
Too lazy to read. Someone just summarize for me why each version got its own score

The same reviewer did all three, he just thought that Battlefront does not stand out enough on PC and is less balanced than the console counterparts. On Xbox and PS2, the game is a bit more unique. Also, Xbox performs better online and off, hence the slightly higher score versus the PS2. Overall, he thought that the game does not have enough maps and modes to have the type of longevity to make it last for months or years. Those were the criticisms, but the rest of the reviews indicate the game is definitely worth checking out (and I will).

Edit: Oh yeah, a lot of the negative stuff in the review relates to the single player stuff. As if I planned to play the single player...

Alex

I'll most likely be grabbing it. Does it come with one of those XBL trial cardies, or do I have to reactivate my XBL account sooner than I had wished? :(

Bog

Junior Ace
I just played it for about 2 hours online (with the 2-7 other people who have it). Boy he ain't kidding about how overpowered some vehicles are. It's ridiculous.

Alex

"Boy he ain't kidding about how overpowered some vehicles are. It's ridiculous."

Ugh, serious? That kinda makes me a bit weary of it then, balance issues = the suck.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Code:
LUCASARTS: STAR WARS TOP 10
------------------------------------
GCN - SW: Rogue Squadron   - 854,237
XBX - SW: Kotor            - 752,635
PS2 - SW: Starfighter      - 469,785
PS2 - SW: Bounty Hunter    - 410,419
GCN - SW: Rebel Strike     - 390,723
XBX - SW: Obiwan           - 382,889
GCN - SW: Clone Wars       - 242,344
XBX - SW: Jedi Academy     - 225,806
XBX - SW: Starfighter SE   - 217,903
PS2 - SW: Jedi Starfighter - 198,249
PS2 - SW: Clone Wars       - 195,448
XBX - SW: Jedi Knight 2    - 179,586
XBX - SW: Jedi Starfighter - 176,095
GCN - SW: Bounty Hunter    - 162,308
GCN - SW: Jedi Knight 2    - 152,659
PS2 - SW: Racer Revenge    - 117,775
PS2 - SW: Bombad Racing    -  65,432
XBX - SW: Clone Wars       -  57,429

NINTENDO GAMECUBE 
SW Games released  -         5
Total sales        - 1,802,271
Avg sales per game -   360,454

MICROSOFT XBOX
SW Games released  -         7
Total sales        - 1,992,343
Avg sales per game -   284,620
Top 5 average -        351,764

SONY PLAYSTATION 2
SW Games released  -         6
Total sales        - 1,457,108
Avg sales per game -   242,851
Top 5 average -        278,335

So um... yeah. Why isn't Lucasarts supporting the Cube anymore again?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The way the reviewer tends to describe it (Ivan Sulic?) is that vehicles take on a VERY menacing presence, much moreso than in his experience with Battlefield and UT2k4. He makes several assertive claims that 'teamwork' becomes a binding asset to survival and victory on certain maps which is a positive in my book. However, his description of Hoth sounds devastatingly imbalanced towards the empire(as it was in the movie I suppose), but taking the defensive for an entire map combat could prove really interesting or totally irritating. Thankfully his descriptions of some of the other maps show promise of equal terms for both factions.

Likely the game is an intense experience with full lan parties or locked XBL rooms with involved peers; but coordinating defense with the average online boob looking to spread inane gospel at Jar Jar intelligence with all the power the mic commands them could prove to be a rough ride. This is a Star Wars branded product, the odds are against us all...

Alex

Because it's an online game, and Nintendo must protect their fanbase from the evils of said avenue?

Edit: That doesn't sound quite as iffy if you put it like that, Folken. Blllahh. Fuck it, I'll pick it up, I don't want to have it stick in the back of my mind with how wishy washy I can be. At least you and me work together well, and we can bitch at Andy while he's shooting walls with a rocket launcher.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, I'm just kinda excited to play an online shooter on Xbox that isn't Tom Clancy related. It could be stupid fun despite whatever faults. The PS2 demo surprised the hell out of me at least. Pandemic hasn't made a game this close to interesting since Battlezone?

Sucks the Galactic Conquest mode is offline only. Hard to tell from description, but a risk-esque 'take on the galaxy' component with powerup rewards post matches could have gone a long way in online matching.

Oh and there IS always Monster Hunter to fall back on if it stinks... :D

lordmrw

JC10001 said:

For this particular game, i can see why they didn't release it on the cube. But the fact that they've dropped all support for the system is simply ridiculous. The only game that they've released on the cube that bombed is Gladius, but that didn't do so hot on any system.

Prine

Banned
God dammit Capone, how many people do i need to wack to get you to change that stupid avatar?

PS: Send me some codes for BO3 biatch! And some for Battlefield!

When you next on?

JC10001 said:
GCN - SW: Rogue Squadron - 854,237

I enjoyed Rogue Squadron just as much as the next guy, but I think even that sales figure is discouragingly low considering...

1. The game was the hot launch title to get (though SSB:M did come out weeks later).

2. The game was a year and a half ago, and probably still is, dirt cheap ($5 or $10) if you can find it.

3. It was at one point being given away with GameCubes @ Best Buy (and other stores?).

OK, maybe 900K isn't discouragingly low, but it doesn't persuade me to get mad at LA for dropping Cube support.

border

PS2 has the biggest userbase, Xbox has the advantage of easy PC ports. Cube is the odd man out.....particularly in this situation, where online play is the focus.

JC10001 said:
who cares, you have an Xbox.

Its getting pretty old cube-fans bitching in every thread "why no support for our lovely cube". Get over it, I dont see Xbots anymore complaining about no support from Square. =) ;)

anyway, back on topic...cant wait to try this, I'm getting my SW DVD box next week! :D

edit: btw, can you play on Live with the Battlefront demo?

Mr Gump

Banned
Project Midway said:
who cares, you have an Xbox.

Its getting pretty old cube-fans bitching in every thread "why no support for our lovely cube". Get over it, I dont see Xbots anymore complaining about no support from Square. =) ;)

anyway, back on topic...cant wait to try this, I'm getting my SW DVD box next week! :D

edit: btw, can you play on Live with the Battlefront demo?
You cant complain about dropped support if you never had it in the first place.

Mr Gump said:
well its almost the same since many xbots thought its a sure-fire deal that square makes games for Xbox, at one point or another. ;)

JC10001 said:
Code:
GCN - SW: Rogue Squadron   - 854,237
XBX - SW: Kotor            - 752,635
PS2 - SW: Starfighter      - 469,785
PS2 - SW: Bounty Hunter    - 410,419
GCN - SW: Rebel Strike     - 390,723
XBX - SW: Obiwan           - 382,889
GCN - SW: Clone Wars       - 242,344
XBX - SW: Jedi Academy     - 225,806
XBX - SW: Starfighter SE   - 217,903
PS2 - SW: Jedi Starfighter - 198,249
PS2 - SW: Clone Wars       - 195,448
XBX - SW: Jedi Knight 2    - 179,586
XBX - SW: Jedi Starfighter - 176,095
GCN - SW: Bounty Hunter    - 162,308
GCN - SW: Jedi Knight 2    - 152,659
PS2 - SW: Racer Revenge    - 117,775
PS2 - SW: Bombad Racing    -  65,432
XBX - SW: Clone Wars       -  57,429

NINTENDO GAMECUBE 
SW Games released  -         5
Total sales        - 1,802,271
Avg sales per game -   360,454

MICROSOFT XBOX
SW Games released  -         7
Total sales        - 1,992,343
Avg sales per game -   284,620
Top 5 average -        351,764

SONY PLAYSTATION 2
SW Games released  -         6
Total sales        - 1,457,108
Avg sales per game -   242,851
Top 5 average -        278,335

crying.jpg

That picture is how I felt when I realized the game was indeed crap. I was really excited about the possibilities of this game, but after the Aussie video had a feeling the reviews would not be kind.

And I'm talking about the PC review, which, despite the lowest grade, is the best version. Just got that score because the PC world has higher expectations for this genre and a game in this genre should be a sandbox, not have only one method for victory. And even if I could somehow overlook this, impossibly strong vehicles that can only be defeated by incredible teamwork? Have the developers ever played online? That's gonna work.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
ravingloon said:
That picture is how I felt when I realized the game was indeed crap. I was really excited about the possibilities of this game, but after the Aussie video had a feeling the reviews would not be kind.
Crap? While there are things that could've been done better, the reviews thus far have been pretty good... for the console versions at least. The lowest score for any console version is an 8 out of 10. Plus, I wouldn't judge the game on that Aussie video. It's painfully obvious that those guys sucked at the game. Hell, who in their right mind will take a snowspeeder vs. an Imperial Walker with no one manning the tow cable gun?

Yeah, I would've loved some sort of clan/stat tracking, but I'm not gonna let that stop me from having fun.

Bog

Junior Ace
When you go online with the PC version, it asks you if you want to sign in with your Gamespy account for stat tracking.

Mr Gump said:

How about this Get over it, I don't see X box fans complaining about no support from Capcom after thier 2 fighting games are released. This is getting old, it is ether why are they not supporting the Game Cube or so and so company betrayed Nintendo.

Mrbob

Anyone looking for an early PC copy may want to check out Target...my local Target had the PC version stocked on the shelf. Didn't grab it though. Not interested in the game. Thought I'd pass this along though in case someone is looking forward to the game....

ManaByte

Gold Member
Also, some Best Buys are selling the Xbox and PS2 version right now. I am headed out to one right now that I know is doing it.

Going to do a little all-day Battle of Hoth!

Top Bottom