• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm finding it really hard to find a laptop that suits my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman94

My current laptop is 4 years old and It freezes AT LEAST two times daily. I'm looking for a new one but damn none of the one's I'm currently looking at on Best Buy is matching what I'm looking for.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-natural-silver/5238300.p?id=bb5238300&skuId=5238300

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-q304ua-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-sandblasted-aluminum-silver-with-chrome-hinge/5214800.p?id=bb5214800&skuId=5214800

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-q504ua-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-sandblasted-aluminum-silver-with-chrome-hinge/5214900.p?id=bb5214900&skuId=5214900

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4777100.p?id=1219819881120&skuId=4777100

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-g501jw-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960m-1tb-hard-drive-black/4415800.p?id=1219745389138&skuId=4415800

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-modern-gold-ash-silver/5386503.p?id=bb5386503&skuId=5386503

It's like I can't find a laptop specifically for what I need one for. None of these has VGA output which is super annoying and only one of them has an ethernet port which is ridiculous. And even with these, I had to reject a bunch of other laptops cause they had bullshit sized solid state drives. I have over 60 Gigs of music, I don't need my brand new computer being mostly full storage wise on the first day I get it. Most of these new laptops have bullshit I don't need like swivel screens, finger print reader, backlit keyboards, touch screens, 3D cameras and more bullshit that just crams more stuff in favor of skipping out on functionality.

I don't need a super strong laptop, just something reasonable between $500-800 with at least the core functionalities and 1080p screen. Just wanted to vent, cause this is gonna be an investment and I don't want to have to compromise with unnecessary limitations.

Corpekata

Banned
Can't you just buy a bigger SSD if that's the problem on some? Installing a drive is pretty easy on most laptops.

I'd also suggest not making Best Buy the focus of your search, they tend to be more oriented toward the mainstream user. Go to Newegg or Amazon.

Futureman

You should just get one that matches most of your needs and then compromise with a USB Ethernet adapter and VGA adapter (guessing those two are the most rare).

bman94

Okay, this looks great! It solves another complaint I had, no SD card reader slot

Can't you just buy a bigger SSD if that's the problem on some? Installing a drive is pretty easy on most laptops.

I'd also suggest not making Best Buy the focus of your search, they tend to be more oriented toward the mainstream user. Go to Newegg or Amazon.

I have a bigger hard drived installed on my current laptop but the SSD prices are just ridiculous. That's another 200-300 dollars just for a terabyte SSD.

And I was using Best Buy cause I'm trying to get this laptop as soon as possible. I want to just be able to drive 20 minutes and get it, as opposed to waiting a week or so from ordering online.

Install a larger SSD or start using Google Music?

Google Music is no way shape or form a viable replacement. Then I have to rely on internet connections, can't use my music freely and can't easily move my music where I need it to be as well as use it for applications that I need to use it for. Plus that uploading is a huge pain which I stopped uploading to google music a quarter way through my library. And I stated my concerns with a larger SSD in the quote above.

Corpekata

Banned
I mean, I understand the desire to get it quick but that's the compromise with places like BB. The mainstream wants relatively simple stuff that lacks the features you want. And chances are they'll be marked up higher than most stores too.

Do you live in a state with Fry's Electronics or Microcenter? Might be a better alternative.

Amazon if you have Prime can often get you something in a day depending on where you live (or there's Prime Now which means you can get it in like 2 hours, but they might not have the specific laptop). Newegg also has pretty fast shipping and a Prime-esque service that IIRC has a free trial.

SpyGuy239

I was gonna say Surface book but that's obviously out of Budget.

Lenovo or ASUS non-Ultrabooks would fit what you need.

bman94

You should just get one that matches most of your needs and then compromise with a USB Ethernet adapter and VGA adapter (guessing those two are the most rare).

It's aggravating that I have to do that though. It's like the iPhone with the missing headphone jack. It's creating a problem that never existed before and removing a feature that's standard.

I mean, I understand the desire to get it quick but that's the compromise with places like BB. The mainstream wants relatively simple stuff that lacks the features you want. And chances are they'll be marked up higher than most stores too.

Do you live in a state with Fry's Electronics or Microcenter? Might be a better alternative.

Amazon if you have Prime can often get you something in a day depending on where you live (or there's Prime Now which means you can get it in like 2 hours, but they might not have the specific laptop). Newegg also has pretty fast shipping and a Prime-esque service that IIRC has a free trial.

There's no Fry's Electronics or Microcenter in my state. Best place I have for electronic stuff is Best Buy or Brandsmart USA.

If push comes to shove I guess I'll just have to order online but usually the expedited shipping is stupid expensive. I might try the newegg trial thing though.

SMattera

It's aggravating that I have to do that though. It's like the iPhone with the missing headphone jack. It's creating a problem that never existed before and removing a feature that's standard.

The overwhelming majority of people no longer use VGA or ethernet, particularly on a laptop, and cutting them does allow the manufacturer to deliver a much slimmer device.

Get something with a 250GB SSD and then buy a 200GB micro SD for music and files.

bman94

The overwhelming majority of people no longer use VGA or ethernet, particularly on a laptop, and cutting them does allow the manufacturer to deliver a much slimmer device.

Get something with a 250GB SSD and then buy a 200GB micro SD for music and files.

Do people just magically have amazing WiFi connections now? Like my internet experience was awful in college without a weird Ethernet connection. And even with the SD card, most of those laptops I saw on best buy didn't even have a port for that. And I don't see why VGA needs to be phased out. A ton of stuff still support it and I can't use the projectors at my job without VGA support.

bundaberg

Banned
You want a network port and VGA? Consider business grade laptops. Generally better than the Windows consumer side anyway. Could also look for refurbed / company auctions.

Look at Dell Latitudes.

You'll probably still have to buy an SSD if you're expecting a 1TB SSD to be standard.

VGA needs to die, we have much, much better tech these days. DVI, Mini Display Port, HDMI even thunderbolt. Just get an adapter if it matters. Your workplace probably has them, and if they don't, then your IT department needs to step up.

Anyways, good luck! :)

Honestly think you'll have to look for a business/enterprise purpose laptop to get anything semi-modern with a VGA port

Dell or Lenovo are the obvious options

Pagusas

Elden Member
Do people just magically have amazing WiFi connections now? Like my internet experience was awful in college without a weird Ethernet connection. And even with the SD card, most of those laptops I saw on best buy didn't even have a port for that. And I don't see why VGA needs to be phased out. A ton of stuff still support it and I can't use the projectors at my job without VGA support.
Magically? Common it's 2016, most houses do have pretty awesome wifi in them. And vga out? Why? Even most businesses are switching to full digital/hdmi in their conference rooms, and they are usually the last to change. Our company, who is slow on the multimedia uptick, replaced everything last year, and all new Lenovo and Hp laptops issued do not have vga, and some don't even have Ethernet unless docked.

for what 99% of people need, yes, basic $30 wireless router wifi works perfectly well. I'm get 100 Mbps down and up on a cheap router. Looking at the links you posted I think eveyr one had an sd slot. As for VGA it isn't something that most people need to use, and for those who do, you can buy a $10 adapter.

Sounds like you need a business laptop, not a standard consumer model.

bman94

You want a network port and VGA? Consider business grade laptops. Generally better than the Windows consumer side anyway. Could also look for refurbed / company auctions.

Look at Dell Latitudes.

You'll probably still have to buy an SSD if you're expecting a 1TB SSD to be standard.

I generally want to stay away from anything refurbished and Dell is usually a gamble with me. Some Dells I've used in the past worked great, some not so much. But I'll look into some business grade laptops. And I don't want 1TB SSD standard, I just want 1TB period. I really don't care about it being SSD I just want the space.

VGA needs to die, we have much, much better tech these days. DVI, Mini Display Port, HDMI even thunderbolt. Just get an adapter if it matters. Your workplace probably has them, and if they don't, then your IT department needs to step up.

Anyways, good luck! :)

I doubt they have adapters, it's a school and all the laptops they give the staff has VGA and all the projectors are VGA, no HDMI. I need a personal laptop that's VGA and HDMI so I can output on my TV at home if needed and use it at work for my lessons. My school laptop just has stupid restrictions on it right now. I can't install personal printers, flash won't install and some other applications that I just won't be able to install on.

Honestly think you'll have to look for a business/enterprise purpose laptop to get anything semi-modern with a VGA port

Dell or Lenovo are the obvious options

I'll look into those then.

Magically? Common it's 2016, most houses do have pretty awesome wifi in them. And vga out? Why? Even most businesses are switching to full digital/hdmi in their conference rooms, and they are usually the last to change. Our company, who is slow on the multimedia uptick, replaced everything last year, and all new Lenovo and Hp laptops issued do not have vga, and some don't even have Ethernet unless docked.

My home wifi is okay at best but Ethernet still is the much better option. And if I'm a environment with shitty WiFi, I'd rather have the option of being able to have a good connection rather than just suffer. And as stated above, I'm working at a school and all the laptops and projectors there are VGA.

whatyearisit.jpg

Okay, I understand the VGA thing because there is a lot of legacy hardware out there with VGA. But going to Best Buy for that is an exercise in futility.

I was at Newegg for 20 seconds and found this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232793

If you want more like it, click this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100006740 600028179

No one uses Ethernet on laptops anymore btw

bman94

whatyearisit.jpg

Okay, I understand the VGA thing because there is a lot of legacy hardware out there with VGA. But going to Best Buy for that is an exercise in futility.

I was at Newegg for 20 seconds and found this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232793

If you want more like it, click this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100006740 600028179

No one uses Ethernet on laptops anymore btw

I guess I was looking for convenience with Best Buy but I guess I'm not going to get that for what I want. My laptop is only 4 years old, I can't believe it's being pushed out when so many things use it. Before my old VGA cable broke I had my laptop displayed on my TV all the time with VGA (it's the only display out on my current laptop).

But that product you suggested seems to meet everything I need.

This is great too. I don't like the small hard drive space but it does have a CD/DVD drive so I can swap that with the current 1TB hard drive I have in my current laptop.

Alucrid

Banned

i get 120 mbps at the point furthest away from my router...so yes? buy a better router or get a better plan. unless you're playing games on your laptop i don't really see the need for a wired connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom