• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Im going bald! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Ok, so what do I do? Take Vitamin A or something? Eat lots of fruits and get exercise? Is there some good medicine I can take to stop it?

Suggestions would be appreciated!! I need help!

Thanks in advance!

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Top tip: sit and feel all frowny while this thread gets filled with pictures like this
before5.gif

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Yeah, but does it work? Ive Rogain has alot of side effect, like sterility, man boobs, and other unwanted stuff.

Is there anyone here that has actually used this stuff?

Loops

have you tried to let it grow on one side and put it back in the middle ?
very stylish.

how bald are you ?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Not bald yet, going bald. I took a shower, and I got some hair on my fingers. I looked in the mirror once I dried my hair, and my scalp is visible at the front. I want to stop the problem before it goes out of hand!

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Loops said:
have you tried to let it grow on one side and put it back in the middle ?
very stylish.
There's a middle-aged Asian gentleman down at the Arby's who does this. He also has a mole on his chin that has an inch-long hair growing out of it.

In 30 years maybe he'll look like Pat Morita. Of course, it'll take quite a bit less time for Dr. Guru here...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think the best methods that the world has to offer is preventative (propecia, the man pill) which will stop further loss and in some cases marginally improve your hair, and rogaine which grows the shit back.

Vitamin supplements and other crap doesn't work if you have Male pattern hair loss. that shit is genetic and no amount of vitamins will stop it. you need chemical blockers baby.

(I have a bald father and 3 bald uncles, I've made it to 25 without the dreaded result, but damn have i read up on preventative shit)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I always, always hear men who have shaved all their hair off when going bald say that it's the best thing they could ever have done. Women seem to love it, coming up and touching their head all the time etc.

Personally I'd be worried about looking like an idiot shaving it all off, but it's an option.

Mama Smurf

catfish said:
I think the best methods that the world has to offer is preventative (propecia, the man pill) which will stop further loss and in some cases marginally improve your hair, and rogaine which grows the shit back.

Vitamin supplements and other crap doesn't work if you have Male pattern hair loss. that shit is genetic and no amount of vitamins will stop it. you need chemical blockers baby.

(I have a bald father and 3 bald uncles, I've made it to 25 without the dreaded result, but damn have i read up on preventative shit)

I heard it's actually more likely to come from your mother's side of the family, don't know how true that is.

It should be noted that Rogaine generally doesn't work if your hair loss starts at the front of your hairline, rather than the crown. Sometimes it doesn't work even then.

The only foolproof (well, mostly foolproof) way to get your hair back after you start losing it is through a hair transplant operation.

Welcome to my ongoing agony with hairloss :p

I have been using Rogaine for years now, on and off, lots of trail and error but I eventually figured out the trick to make it work... You MUST use it twice a day every day (like it says on the instructions), if you slack of and keep saying "what difference does once a day or twice make", you wont get the results you want. Really it's that simple, if you're willing to use it religiously, you should get good results. Rogaine doesn't have ANY serious side effects. Propecia (pills) however does have some, but supposedly only for a small percentage of people.

Get Rogaine extra strength (or a generic one, as long as it contains the same active ingredient with the same potency, it will work the same and is cheaper), use it twice a day (shampoo your hair in-between of course), and if you can afford using Propecia with it too, you should get very good results.

Or you can just shave off your head (I did that for a couple of years, then I started really missing my hair).

The first thing I'll do once I get a job and save some money is doing some of the latest hair implants thingy. Rogaine can only work so much, it doesn't completely solve the problem, but it helps.

IIRC, there is a gene that's responsible for baldness but it's recessive in females and dominant in males. Scientists aren't sure why that's so. It could be because guys have higher levels of testosterone(supposedly that plays a role in baldness).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
don't hair plugs look blatantly obvious?

Propecias side effects are pretty minimal and all completely reversible.

something like 1% of cases can't get boners, once you stop taking it it's ok again. interesting that if a pregnant lady touches it it can badly deform the sex organs of a child though.......

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
tree fiddy said:
IIRC, there is a gene that's responsible for baldness but it's recessive in females and dominant in males. Scientists aren't sure why that's so. It could be because guys have higher levels of testosterone(supposedly that plays a role in baldness).

if you have the pattern baldness gentic trait, some testosterone gets converted to DHT, DHT is detrimental to hair at the scalp apparently, and ironically thats where it likes to go to be stored. baldness actually slowly withers away the hair follicle rather than killing it, so hair grows back, but finer and finer till it's see through and clear like the hair on a girls face.

Clearly Satan having a laugh.

Triumph

Banned
Pfft. Anyone concerned over going bald is a puss. Chicks dig on the Bruce Willis/Jason Statham look these days. Oh, Adelgary... I dunno. I got no clue what dudes like. Maybe a full head o' hair is de riguer for the other side.

Mama Smurf

adelgary said:
The first thing I'll do once I get a job and save some money is doing some of the latest hair implants thingy.

Come on man, by the time you're 80 no one cares if you're bald or not.

evil ways said:
Baldness is no longer an issue, as long as you trim the sides.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not. But there's a lot of truth to what you said, I learned that trimming the sides really short helps TREMENDOUSLY, it's like night and day... I always go to the barbershop to trim the sides (with the machine, not scissors) once my hair starts looking bad in the mirror, and just like magic I come out looking MUCH better, it's not even funny.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Well then, I guess I am a pussy. My hair is important to me.

My other side isnt visible 24/7. Besides, there's alot of hair there too :p

Pimpwerx

Suggestions would be appreciated!! I need help!
Buy a Porsche, a young trophy wife, and grow your hair as long as you can where you can. Get as much mileage from these as you can, b/c it ain't gonna last forever. Start making reservations for Hat Town or Toupeville. ;) I kid, I kid. Go ask your doctor. He'll probably give you the best advice. PEACE.

AssMan

Banned
Sucks to be you! You better live every moment in your life, like it is going to end tommorrow, because in away.....it is! God I love Seinfeld.

shoplifter

My dad, grandpa and great grandpa are all cue balls. Dad just shaved his when it really started to go around 38. I plan to do the same. There's no point (imo) in attempting to stop the inevitable.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Go bald gracefully. Depending on how far the baldness goes (and where it goes from) short hair may be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom