• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana school principal dies saving children in path of bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hool-principal-dies-saving-children-from-bus/

When the school bus lurched forward, Susan Jordan followed her instincts.

They were the same instincts that had guided her for 22 years as the principal of Indianapolis’s Amy Beverland Elementary.

The same ones that helped the school receive a four-star, “A” rating from the Indiana Department of Education. The ones that compelled her students and staff to describe her as the”definition of wonderful” — along with virtually every positive adjective in the dictionary — in a tribute video last year.

Everyone who knew Jordan knew that she put children first. And so she did this Tuesday afternoon, after a stationary school bus inexplicably accelerated, jumping a curb toward a group of students.

As the hulking vehicle approached, the principal pushed several students out of the way. But she was fatally hit in doing so.

“Quite frankly, ladies and gentleman, we are talking about a legend,” Lawrence Township Schools Superintendent Shawn Smith said during a mournful news conference following the accident. “This loss is going to ripple across our district of 15,000 students.”

According to the Indianapolis Star, the bus was carrying 25 students, none of whom were injured. Two 10-year-old students who were struck alongside Jordan are in the hospital with serious but non-life-threatening juries, authorities told the Associated Press.

Grover

Banned
a hero, when i was in school i thought the principle was a jerk or w/e who didn't care about anybody,

but it wasn't until i got older that i realized that most (i assume?) principles actually feel like parents who are taking care of hundreds of their kids

AlphaDump

Gold Member
“Quite frankly, ladies and gentleman, we are talking about a legend,”

Couldn't have said it better myself. She sacrificed her life so that those kids could live. I just... wow..

Kangi

Feel awful for the kids who had to witness that. Takes a while to come to terms with something like that at that age. Hope the two kids in the hospital wind up alright.

Wonderful woman. Devoting your life to the well-being of children is difficult but rewarding work; it takes something even more special to not even think twice making a decision like that.

Man, freak accidents are tragic.

Kadin

That YT video from the kids and faculty (back in May of last year) was great to see. The song played during it is always crushing with stuff like this though. :(

RIP

Mumei

:(

I found out last night, not sure why I didn't think to see if there was a topic until now. I think I was in the third grade when she became the principal, and I was a little surprised to learn that she was still there.

It's tragic, and learning more about the circumstances makes it even sadder.

Kenai

Never went to school in that district but several friends I have went there while she was in charge and had nothing bad to say about her. Tragic loss, RIP.

Heartbreaking and sad to read. What a wonderful lady.

May she rest in peace, and her family, friends and coworkers find solace in her loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom