• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel lost PS6 contract to AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

peish

Intel’s Loss of the PlayStation 6 Chip Contract: A $30 Billion Missed Opportunity​

September 17, 2024eriHwBusters
Intel lost a crucial contract to design and manufacture the chip for Sony’s PlayStation 6 to AMD in 2022, a significant blow to the company’s ambitions in contract manufacturing. Intel’s push to secure the PlayStation 6 chip would have been a substantial victory for CEO Pat Gelsinger’s plan to revitalize Intel through its fledgling foundry business. According to insider sources, the contract, valued at an estimated $30 billion in revenue, slipped away due to disagreements over profit margins.

RaZoR No1

Last edited:

bobbybabylon

Neo Member
Intel incompetence again. Same thing happened to them in iPhone era. Going to two companies (propietary and pure play) is all that can save (TBTF) help them now.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Dj Khaled Ox GIF

Would definitely have been interesting if either of the three chose Intel and they actually would have needed to produce a decent APU. But maybe with the Steamdecks and all competitors around intel might design something for that space and steam machines or something similar might happen. We need intel to compete, to push AMD to finally make better APUs for PCs where the graphics part is actually worthwhile and not just okayish to start a game at min settings.

Although I am not a fan of AMD's graphics card on PC - NVIDIA charge more but they are worth it because they are two-steps ahead in terms of AI upscaling and RT - but I do like that the consoles are sticking with AMD because it ensures that backward compatibility is better supported, something that might not be so easily to keep if you switch to another manufacturer such as Intel or NVIDIA.

The only thing I don't like about AMD on consoles is their incredibly lacklustre FSR upscaling - it's bad enough on PC in my experience but far worse on consoles - which is no doubt why Sony have gone with their own PSSR solution for the upcoming PS5 Pro. Hopefully, PSSR will be refined and supported on PS6 so developers no longer have to resort to using FSR2/3 for future games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom