• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inversion |OT| My Life Got Flipped, Turned Upside Down

iYesBdiSrmWnm.png

NA June 5 | EU June 8
Developer Saber Interactive | Publisher Namco Bandai Games
Platforms PC, 360, PS3
Genre Third Person Shooter​

iKae3AZx2NfFu.png

| Set in the near future, the tranquil peace enjoyed by mankind shatters with an unforeseen invasion by an unknown enemy called the Lutadore.
| Armed to the teeth with futuristic gravity-controlling weapons, the Lutadore easily overrun the city’s defenses.
| Unbeknownst to all, mysterious anomalies have surfaced in conjunction with the invasion.
| Random regions in the city have entered zero gravity or have suffered vector changes, throwing the world into topsy-turvy chaos.
| The game features destructible environments and gravity manipulation.

ibmDU0otvKjwL0.png

NAtp8l.jpg

ibvMJq6ZfozbZ4.png

First 20 Minutes
Launch Trailer
A Bit of Multiplayer

Achievement Listing

ib5Ha7Q8wjaOQ.png

| Eurogamer - 5
"A bad game? Not really: just an underwhelming one. Your pulse may quicken occasionally, but your world is unlikely to turn upside down."​
| IGN- 5.5
"By the time the final encounter came around, I wasn't looking forward to a satisfying conclusion. I was just ready for the game to conclude"​

| Game Informer - 6
"It's not a terrible game, but it's in those moments in which you glimpse it's unrealised potential that really brings it down."​
*more to come*

i5iUk1poJCZoE.png

iUFGbgMPN6TRB.gif

Not the best game, and sent to die during E3 week by Namco, but look kinda interesting, and should be at least worth a rent (that's what I am thinking of doing), so I made an OT.

dreamfall

Not the best game, and sent to die during E3 week by Namco, but look kinda interesting, and should be at least worth a rent (that's what I am thinking of doing), so I made an OT.

Really awesome OT. I'm excited to give it a whirl, the game mechanics alone deserve some love!

Never even heard of this.

Was announced in 2009, got delayed twice (I think). Was supposed to come out last February, but missed that, and is now getting the worst release slot possible for a game (bar sticking in in COD release week). I almost feel sorry for it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Gravity Rush dared to do this gameplay concept without the stagnant shootertron Gears me-too approach. I'll be rewarding that instead.

Watched Gamespot's video review in which they gave it a 4. Can't believe a game with a cool idea such as manipulating gravity could look like such a bad Gears clone. Still I'll give it a try at least once as it should be hitting the bargain bin right about now.

I often wonder about the budget for games like this and why they just don't put them on PSN/XBLA for $20. They are going to go in the bargain bin after 2 weeks anyway.

glaurung

Good concept, horrible execution. On par with earth-shattering manure like Fracture.

But the OP is awesome. For a moment there I tried to make sense of it, only to get a migraine. *claps*

Bigger stealth release: this or Ridge Racer Unbounded? Namco really knows how to release a title. I vote Unbounded, as that was a quality game and it seemed like half of Namco didn't even know it was out.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Videos of moving barricades around looked absolutely ridiculous.
Basically it was gears but you could place where you took cover in some circumstances, minus the huge budget and I'm guessing lack of polish.

Might grab it on steam when it's $2-5

Averon

concept sounds neat, but from impressions it sounds like the OP is more impressive than the game

I watched a play through of this game on Youtube, and the concept is largely wasted. There are a couple points in the game where the world is flipped sideways, up-side-down, etc...But that's it. It doesn't change how you fight or take cover. The concept doesn't go much beyond that. The game is a Gear of War clone with Dead Space's Kinesis gun.

mujun

This game is dumb fun. I'm enjoying it quite a bit and I'm sure if the devs were able to get more money they'd make a pretty nice game (I also liked Timeshift).

Wouldn't recommend it at full price though.

This game is dumb fun. I'm enjoying it quite a bit and I'm sure if the devs were able to get more money they'd make a pretty nice game (I also liked Timeshift).

Wouldn't recommend it at full price though.
I didn't realize this was the TimeShift dev, that piques my interest a bit as I thought that game was pretty cool. Will keep this on my radar for some point in the future.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Bigger stealth release: this or Ridge Racer Unbounded? Namco really knows how to release a title. I vote Unbounded, as that was a quality game and it seemed like half of Namco didn't even know it was out.
Fuck I remember seeing this and thinking about why I never heard about this before

This game looks interesting, but I'll probably look it over unless it can be had for cheaps on PC (steam sale?)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Any more impressions?

This game has been in development for a while? How well do we think it's going to sell?

Xander51

TimeShift was better than this game. I wish the PC version had come out in the US. I'm playing it on PS3 and the framerate is not amazing. The game is vsynced, and I feel like that was a mistake. I like Saber's stuff, but this game is hamstrung every time it tries to do something Gears of War-esque. The best parts are the zero G bits and the parts with lots of physics objects flying around. The framerate gets so bad during these bits on PS3 though that the sound starts to cut out.

Takao

Banned
Any more impressions?

This game has been in development for a while? How well do we think it's going to sell?

The game was delayed for 2 years which should tell you that this has been in the cooker for a while. As for how it will sell, 3k NPD first month.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I cant find news on the PC version anywhere, i checked on Steam its not there, so im guessing this is retail or GFWL?

I cant find news on the PC version anywhere, i checked on Steam its not there, so im guessing this is retail or GFWL?

Is there a chance it is delayed worldwide (like all version are in Europe). Amazon UK are listing the on-disc PC version as July 29, 2012. Console versions, 13 July 2012.

With this, and Ridge Racer Unbounded, I've decided Namco are horrible at publishing.

Dark Souls sales were luck!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is there a chance it is delayed worldwide (like all version are in Europe). Amazon UK are listing the on-disc PC version as July 29, 2012. Console versions, 13 July 2012.
With this, and Ridge Racer Unbounded, I've decided Namco are horrible at publishing.
Dark Souls sales were luck!

Ahh, you are probably write.
I didnt think of checking Amazon for PC release, i just checked Steam and did a quick(lazy) google search.
Ill be more patient.

Seventy5

I got this at best buy for 20 bucks on PS3. It's kinda fun for a cheap game, but they should have launched at $30. There is literally not one single online match going, so don't pick it up for a cheap platinum. Pretty much the definition of mediocre, but not bad.

madmackem

Just rented it, hmmm im about an hour in and its a mixed bag atm. Controls well, looks ok, story is kind of interesting but the pacing is all over the place in these early levels, kill some dudes walk ten feet cut scene, walk ten feet explosion cut scene. Its a mad gears rip off, and if im reading the story right this early on its a mega gears rip off. Feels like a gears one clone from 2008 or something. Will finish it as it was a rent so nothing to lose but i dunno it just feels strange and id be kind of underwhelmed had i bought it.

highrider

Banned
i got it at best buy for 20 then traded it to gamestop for 28 towards some other games. love sticking it to the man. the game itself i quickly determined was pretty bad. not terrible, just completely flat and uninspired.

madmackem

Do you lose the grav shoot abilty earlyish into the game as for the life of me i cant do it anymore after i broke out of the jail.

I picked this up during the $20 sale at Best Buy - I was super disappointed, especially since the dev was given an extra year to polish it up. If you are going to play this, don't play Gravity Rush before. It completely destroys this game in terms of gravity mechanics.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Framerate and technical issues aside. I want to like this game, it's interesting. Gonna keep playing for now! Only 3-4 chapters in though.

Ywap

Just finished this one on the hardest difficulty on PC and i have to say it was an awesome experience. Some sections were pretty hard and there were no boring moment. When it ended i wished it had been twice as long :)

Saber will never get the recognition they deserve for Timeshift and Inversion. This game is even better than Spec Ops if you ask me.

8.5 / 10

Got a decent PC and a 360 pad - buy Inversion.

Top Bottom