• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Talon

overview_whatis.jpg

The iOS 7 Update is LIVE. I am not looking forward to stupid "OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PHONE" responses, so I'm going to be part of the solution with a guide.

This is a quick and easy "things that will make your life easier" guide.

What's all this then?
Overall, iOS 7 is about layers. Flatness sort of goes hand-in-hand with that new language. Everything "sits" on top of the background. The Control Center and Notification Center consist of translucent glass that sit on a layer above the screen. When you unlock your phone, the icons sit and land on a plane.

The most obvious indication of this is the parallax effect (for iPhone 4S and newer devices). If you hold your phone and view it from an oblique angle, you'll notice that the icons look like they're floating over the background. It really looks like you're looking "in" to the phone. This is just a cute graphical flourish (that's more apparent on some backgrounds than others).

Yadda Yadda, who cares, Talon? Anyways, over to the useful stuff.
Control Center – Slide up from the bottom of the screen. You now have quick actions. This is accessible from the lock screen and anywhere else on the phone. Read email and want to change the song? Just slide up.
apUcshd.png

(In order from Left to Right:
Airplane Mode | Wifi On/Off | Bluetooth On/Off | Do Not Disturb | Portrait Orientation Lock
Brightness control
Audio controls
Airdrop*
Flashlight | Timer | Calculator | Camera)

*Airdrop is pretty neat. It creates an ad-hoc wireless network with other nearby iOS 7 devices, so you can share photos or files with them. Instead of texting photos from, you can just use AirDrop to send it from one person to another. So Bill will AirDrop it. Hillary will get a notification that will allows her to accept or reject it.

The Today view includes a summary of today’s weather at the top and upcoming morning meetings. The Calendar is immediately below it, along with Stock or whatever else you want to turn on.

At the bottom of this screen is Tomorrow which tells you about all that’s going down on the morrow.

9HGSaZv.png
cSc3L3m.png

Global Back Interaction – Slide in from the left of the screen in the browser. This is the quickest way to go back a page in any Apple apps (Safari, Mail, iTunes Store, App Store, Music, etc.). It's an interaction that you can expect to be used in most of the apps that you use today - many of the newly updated iOS 7 apps have this interaction built-in. In the case of Safari, you can also slide in from the right to go forward.

IuHGow0.png
qKErvDg.png
lbvF0ZX.png

Again, there's this "layer" metaphor used here. The current screen sits on top of the previous screen.
Multitasking – My favorite part of the update. There’s a whole new multi-tasking view that is still accessed by double-tapping the home button. You have a screenshot of the app and the app icon moving on separate “bands.” You can scroll through them at either the screenshot (slower) or the app icon (faster).

Want to delete an app from running? Just swipe up on the app, and it'll go flying off into the ether.

Going forward, iOS 7 will provide more multitasking features for third-party developers. What this means is that applications will learn your behavior and run in the background on a select basis. Use case: Twitter would update the feed in the background without it having to load when you launch the application.

o74soLE.png
VcId4SE.png

yXTbaCm.png

Go to Settings -> iTunes & App Store -> Scroll down to Automatic Downloads and turn it On.
Photos – All your photos you’ve ever taken have metadata associated with them that tag the time and location. Think of it as the next iteration of the ugly orange datestamps that were on your dad’s 35mm cameras. Anyways, hopefully you're not too creeped out.

Apple tapped into that (already saved) data for the new Photo view.

The hierarchy here is Year -> Event by Location (e.g. you’re in Chicago for a week) -> Day -> Individual Photo

RNt81AO.png
J1lbYXe.png
J1lbYXe.png

• Video
• Photo
• Square
• Panorama

You’ll also notice a tri-tone in the bottom right corner, and those are photo filters – not dissimilar from the old Mac Photobooth app or the Instagram filters.

3EMt16N.png

So what is it? It’s Pandora.
What makes this better? Well, it has a substantially larger library of music (as opposed to Pandora’s 800,000 tracks).

Pretty sweet. Also, smart for Apple to have the Buy button on the top right at all times.

jTfQhzt.png
14UnS0f.png

SMJT17g.png
498pCxd.png

Calendar – It’s prettier. Function is essentially unchanged.

Safari – The tabs view is very different. Sort of calls back to the new Multi-tasking view. Also, you can now have more than 8 tabs open. Swipe to the left (or click the x) to dismiss the tab.

Siri – New voices and new features. You can choose a male voice now.

Hope that helps. Don't freak out. Please.

dorkimoe

Nice OT

First one to find out how to clear updated apps from the App Store wins a prize

Loving ios7 so far. Safari is quick.
It fixed my issues with losing connection to cell tower

Awesome new text tones.
Love the multitasking now.

Only thing I don't like is photos. I don't like the way it separates them now.

Ninja Dom

You knocked this OT up quickly and nicely.

Once I get home I got an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5 to update. Plus the new Mac iTunes to update.

Gonna do Software update directly on the iPhone/iPad to update.

JPodz

Banned
So I downloaded the beta. Still havent downloaded the GM from last week, and wont get the official iOS7 released pushed to my phone via OTA. So where do I have to go to download the official iOS7 and do I install it the same way I did the beta?

Thanks.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Downloading now. I used the beta briefly, and I was so impressed with the features back during Beta 3 & 4. I can't wait to see the full iOS in action.

Updating my iPhone 4S and iPad 3. Had to remove my music from iPhone to make room for the update. Will restore after I've upgraded.

...it says error. :(

EDIT:
Seems it was because my phone was plugged to my computer. Weird.

8 minutes to go! :D (It's really that quick?!)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
As much as I like what Apple did with iOS7, I really can't wait to see what iOS will be like a year or two from now.

I'd have to imagine that a) Apple isn't stupid and b) that they do have a shitton of ideas up their sleeves but that the old OS just wasn't up to the task to be constantly amended. Sometimes you just gotta tear this type of software down and start from scratch with a proper implementation path to add features down the road. Then add to that the whole power struggle with Forstall and you had a bad pot of tea brewing.

Anyway, can't wait. Good times ahead!

Wait, as a beta user I wont get the final one OTA? The last beta I had was 6 I think which I got OTA.

Do I have to update through iTunes by downloading the IPSW files?

jtb

Banned
Just give me an updated Twitter app that's flat and retrieves new tweets in the background please.

Noema

Any iPhone 4 users feedback on performance. I wanna use my 4 til it dies.

Slower than iOS 6 but not much. Very usable in my experience (I've been using iOS7 for about a month now) and IMO the new features (specially the improved Safari, which is faster than iOS 6 and Control Center) make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Depends on how much it bothers you if your phone isn't super snappy. But then again, the 4 has never been super snappy, even when it was new. It had to pay the price of being the first Retina device.

Started right at Noon on my phone, 11 minutes later "Preparing Update..."

So far, fairly smooth, which I was not expecting. I thought it would take forever to download.

MercuryLS

Banned
I've got a bug with iOS7 GM where if I'm listening to a track and I unlock the phone, it goes back to the beginning of the song. This only happens once in a while. I had the same issue with the iOS7 beta, I'm surprised that wasn't fixed for the GM. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Top Bottom